Sudden loss of confidence :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lulu83x

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am currently training using NSI products, I am regularly carrying out manicures/acrylics on friends and family..however I just dont think i'm cut out for it..some days im super confident and pleased with what ive done, then a set of enhancements go completely wrong and it throws me completetly back to square 1 :( did anyone else ever feel really dissheartened while learning?? I practice so much literally every day..and I just want to improve but feel that i'm not :( I see everyones pics on here and I feel soooo far away from it, like I could never get to that stage..but i really want to!

how long have you been doing acrylics.

I trained with NSI 7 and half years ago and whilst i thought i was good after 6 months, in fact it took another year or so to really perfect what i do. I am still learning and developing what i do. The nails i do now are so different from the ones i did in my first year.

It does take time and dedication to become a nail tech, its a skill that has to be perfected over time, with patience and lots of trouble shooting.

It may help to do some extra training, maybe some one to one. I used to go to a girl once a month and she would go over each stage of nail application for me, breaking down each stage and helping me improve a little at a time. ie perfect prep, then checking the nails a week later and seeing where i may have gone wrong. she really made me think about what i was doing. Breaking down each stage of nail application also helped me work out how to speed up.

Keep practising and don't charge too much so that you get lots of willing hands to work on.

it does not matter what we choose to do, we all feel like that, just keep going it will always work out. We are to hard on ourselfs. I remember when I was in hairdressing school and a perm I was doing took me three and half hours. Hair popping out teachers not ,any help they would put a few rollers in and out pops the hair. They would say keep going and leave. I bought the poor lady lunch. I went home crying thinking I was the worst hairdresser there was and wanted to quit. BUT did not. 6 months later I was on towel duty and was called to help a girl who was in tears.....she was doing the same lady. And I got in there and did her hair we had a great time and laughed about the LAST time and that was in 1985. And I am still doing hair and love every moment and I can do a short hair perm in 1 1/2 hours flat. If you enjoy it keep it up. And man do I have storys that made me cry and made others laugh that i thought they would pee themselfs.

hi marion, its only been a matter of months, i know i sound impatient and moany and it will take yrs to get the nack..just knocks my confidence sometimes :(

Fifitrix is SOOOOOO right. And then they become a repeat client:lol:

Hi Everyone, I am currently training using NSI products, I am regularly carrying out manicures/acrylics on friends and family..however I just dont think i'm cut out for it..some days im super confident and pleased with what ive done, then a set of enhancements go completely wrong and it throws me completetly back to square 1 :( did anyone else ever feel really dissheartened while learning?? I practice so much literally every day..and I just want to improve but feel that i'm not :( I see everyones pics on here and I feel soooo far away from it, like I could never get to that stage..but i really want to!

I have this feeling quite often too. I'll sit down all full of enthusiasm after reading another book or getting another hint or tip, and i think i'm suddenly going to be fantastic........ and then it all goes wrong and i give up and go off to bed in a miserable mood!!! The only thing to do, is pick yourself up and try again. Sometimes it takes me a couple of days to get my enthusiasm back.

Just remember you do produce nails that your proud of sometimes!!!! I always find i do my best work when i'm relaxed and when i least expect it to go right!! I think its just easier when you dont put too much pressure on yourself. Try taking pics of all the sets you do and then in another few months look back at them...... it might give you a boost on the bad days to see how much you've improved

xx

YOu sounded exactly like how I felt a few days ago. I did a set on my sis in law on monday, they were sculpted & quite difficult to do as she was a nail biter & I wasnt 100% happy with them, I got a message on the phone from a lady who wanted acrylics & I got really nervous about doing them in case I wasnt 100%. By the time I spoke to my nail tech buddys about it, got my confidence back up & called the lady, it was too late she went somewhere else. Yeah sure I was gutted & it served me right. I did another set on my friend & it came out perfect, what was all that panick about!!

I feel exactly the same at times. Especially now as I have to do do 20 clients for my case studies before I can do exam on the 26th Jan. I feel like i'll never be able to get it done or pass.

That is exactly why i'm using the signature I'm using as it helps a little to read it a couple of times LOL.

Hang in there. It will all come together in time.

We all have so many bad days to get over to gain the experience we need to become more consistent and confident. Look at each bad day as one less you have to face in the future and learn from it. Look at what you have done, if anything, wrong and don't do it again. Sometimes we are just tired or preoccupied by other things, we are humans, not machines!

As I say every bad day is one less bad day to do and we learn from mistakes not from successes! :)

We all have so many bad days to get over to gain the experience we need to become more consistent and confident. Look at each bad day as one less you have to face in the future and learn from it. Look at what you have done, if anything, wrong and don't do it again. Sometimes we are just tired or preoccupied by other things, we are humans, not machines!

As I say every bad day is one less bad day to do and we learn from mistakes not from successes! :)
WOW I love your way of thinking!!

I don't wanna repeat every other's words, but yah er all go throu bad days... you just have to learn to live with them and hide what's going wrong to the client...
like yesterday I went to my hair stylist and the lovely girl who did my hair was talked about badly by another co-worker, she was hurt, you could see it on her face, but not on her hand, so she worked great, even if she was really upset. this is what you have to achieve first. then learn to even not show it on your face and you'll be perfect. also when you really mess up, remember it, as it may never get worse... ;);)

hey hun

Lets face it when we all started doing nails (or maybe just me) we made hugh messes, tips that we filed too much and looked wonky, used to much glue stuck and stuck our fingers together, placed the acrylic on the nails and time we finished we had created a mountain and then took us 6 hours to file the bloody things down or made what we thought was perfect nails only to find in a weeks time they lifted all over the place, but these are just things you have to go through in order to learn. You learn everyday for example you know that you have to keep zone 3 thin because if you don't you'll get lifting and they will look bulky...so you have learnt something..see my point..it just takes time to learn everything...but you will get there..chin up xx

dont give up hun if its something you really want to do it will all come together

thankyou everyone so much for your replies..just reading them cheered me up and gave me a kick up the bum lol ;-)

Latest posts

Back