Sugar wax or sugaring!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopena23

Reaction score
Hi guys and thank you for taking your time to read my question and hopefully sharing some of your experience and tips with me. I finished my waxing training in college as part of my NVQ level 2 now, and was wondering whether anyone doing Sugar waxing or sugaring and how do they find it, is it worth considering, is it better than warm wax (for legs mostly). As it is not included neither in NVQ level 2 or 3, I was interested did anyone completed special training or course for that? Sorry if it is already been discussed just can’t find it. Thank you :biggrin:

Hiya,
When I was taught waxing I was told that warm wax was more cost effective? X

Hiya, I did an extra day course this was offered alongside our nvq the same as henna tattoos and ear piercing. I have never used it since college which was 12years ago now but I bought some for personal use and pros: you can make the substance yourself, you don't have to use strips to remove, you don't have to wait for wax to heat, cons: I'm not sure if its simply I'm out of practice but my goodness because my hands were warming up the putty was literally sticking my hand to itself lol but I will persevere but tbh I think for me only personal use x

Oh thank you so much,might try myself at home first,its just looks so much easier on youtube when they do it:):LOl just heared they are better for sensitive skin as they working with the hair growth and not damaging the skin.thank you so much for sharing your experience.

I have only every been sugared once and never again. I had both treatments before deciding which one to go for. The therapist swore by sugaring and it was torture, especially on the legs!

Why not have a treatment and see what you think as you will have to believe in what you are doing.

I have been waxing for around 16 years now and working every day and have only ever been asked for sugaring once in all of that time. That was a woman who's therapist had retired to Spain and told her that waxing would be so painful she shouldn't even try it.

Have a treatment and see what you think, that way you can make an educated judgement.

Last edited:
I had sugaring done and liked it. If it was more popular id train in it but i think the popularity of waxing is such that maybe a lot of clients arent even aware of what sugaring is.

Just to say if it hurts! Did they use the ball method on legs ? cos I hate that too it really hurts cos they press down the paste before flicking it that's why strip sugar is fab and hurts less than waxing for most although some say it feels the same!

Last edited by a moderator:
There has long been a debate about which hurts less - with people on either side claiming sugaring or waxing is painless. It all comes down to two things - quality product and most importantly skill of the therapist.

And 'painless' is a myth when it comes to hair removal - we are ripping the hairs out of the body, that is never going to be a completely painless operation. There are degrees as to how much it hurts - the better the product and skill the less it will hurt.

I've had wax done and sugaring. Sugaring both with the ball and strip sugar. Out of them all I have to say I prefer the strip sugar.

My legs were quite red and sore after wax and I did not like the feel of the ball sugaring, strip sugaring was a lot compared to the ball method. All 3 methods were done by my mum who was been a trained sugaring practitioner for over 20 years, so the skill level was the same. Wasn't as if I'd been to different therapists.

I think waxing is the more well known hair removal system but that doesn't necessarily mean its the best but that's just my opinion.

Thank you so much, defiantly will try somewhere professional first. P.s thank you everyone for sharing your views.

Hi, i've just taken on Pharo Sugaring System which is strip sugaring. I've got my training on Tuesday coming so hopefully I learn a few tricks then. I had a play with it with a few clients this week and liked some things about it but i'm guessing there's a technique I need to learn no matter how similar it looks to strip waxing.

Fingers crossed I haven't wasted my money :eek:

I've been waxing 20 plus years and was always doubtful of the sugaring claims, I've just trained with Epiladerm in the universal sugaring method...

It takes a bit of getting used to with the hand method but I have to say as the sugar paste is body temperature and removed in the direction of the hair growth there is much less redness and i found it much less painful. The strip method is really fast as well though you do get more of a waxing sensation with the strip. You can also rework an area as there is no skin reaction and its water soluble so no residue, I'm a convert.
There's loads of videos if you google epiladerm.

Hi everyone,

I think people need to understand what Sugaring is. The REAL sugaring is not 'sugar wax' and it is not a strip this is the waxing method. Sugaring is the ancient method done by hand. It is rubbed on the skin gently and removed with a flick of the wrist. You cant watch Youtube and then do it as it is a skill that you need to be trained in professionally then you will be able to do the treatment as it should be done with excellent results.

I trained with SOS and now run a very successful business Sugaring.

B

Hi everyone,

I think people need to understand what Sugaring is. The REAL sugaring is not 'sugar wax' and it is not a strip this is the waxing method. Sugaring is the ancient method done by hand. It is rubbed on the skin gently and removed with a flick of the wrist. You cant watch Youtube and then do it as it is a skill that you need to be trained in professionally then you will be able to do the treatment as it should be done with excellent results.

I trained with SOS and now run a very successful business Sugaring.

B

Yes, indeed, I could not resist replying to this. I watched an epiladerm video in German, using the sugar ball method with horror, the guy was riggling, the practitioner was on the most painful part of a mans chest, it was pulling, you could see the skin lifting, it was going red, there was no talc, it was a horror movie ! We do not do it like this, we do use strip sugar, it is specially made for us and we sugar ball too, we have 3 different types as one of us has hot hands one cold hands, hot hands & sugar ball can be a bugger in the summer especially! but yes sugaring is very misunderstood and I sincerely hope more people in time get to give it ago. I am desperate for staff but cant find anyone ! Our latest recruit was a die hard waxer and ran a salon down town she was totally converted in 5 mins !, Watch this space I guess.

Sugaring is amazing!! I have waxed in the past and converted to sugaring and every client I have had has converted to sugaring! Plus I make my own paste sugar, lemon water and the secret ingredient gum Arabic whoops! Extremely low cost however I am also in love with epiladerm it has a completely different method (more of a fold over than a flick) although I haven't yet used the enzymes and would love to here if it makes much of a difference.

Latest posts

Back