Sun beds and bad backs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucyann

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I heard off a friend that going on sun beds can help with a bad back, is this true as I suffer from alot of back pain and have tried all sorts but nothing is much help other than pain killers which I don't like taking as I believe more damaged can be done if the pain is masked.

Does anyone else use sun beds to help with easing back pain? or do they not make a difference?

Many thanks :green:

I used to use them for a tan after i had my little boy. I have a very weak bottom back that plays me up quite a bit and have to say it did help. Thinking back now, what the hell was i doing on them?
They are so dangerous and totally not worth the risk of getting skin cancer. Have you tried an infared lamp?
xxx

They are so dangerous and totally not worth the risk of getting skin cancer. Have you tried an infared lamp?
xxx

Likewise I would recommend infrared heat lamp - it's only the heat of the sunbed that eases the pain, in the same way (after a fashion) as does a hot bath or heat pack. Far better do it without the damage of the UV!

Have you considered massage - this would be a lot more effective in the long run & can be combined with infrared.

no I haven't tried infrared, I had a massage not long ago at a health spa and the girl doing it said that the muscles in my back were so stiff she found it hard to massage properly! Does an infrared lamp relax the muscles then?

Hi

I have a few customers use them for there backs, depression, problems with skin etc .. Its by no means a cure however they do say It has ease the pain and helps to clear skin.

Hope this helps

TT

I did try massage but it didn't really help as i don't think it's much of a muscle problem. I am a size 8 and when pregnant went up to a size 22!! So my back has been under an awful lot of strain.
Infered definitely helps me every time it feels like it's weakening and ready to give me grief. You can pick up some lamps that don't cost a hell of a lot of money.Give it a go but please stay off those sunbeds, i'm sure that you would rather suffer with a bad back than skin cancer xxx

I had a massage not long ago at a health spa and the girl doing it said that the muscles in my back were so stiff she found it hard to massage properly

I would suggest that you get a 'proper' massage from a massage therapist rather than one in a spa.;) As Martin says, a massage would be much more effective than just heat.

Hi

I have a few customers use them for there backs, depression, problems with skin etc .. Its by no means a cure however they do say It has ease the pain and helps to clear skin.

Hope this helps

TT

Couldn't agree more here...Non excessive over exposure to UV is undoubtably good for the body...particularly during winter months when we don't get sufficient natural sunlight.

Going on a sunbed during these months does pep you up..will help aching bones and acts as a means to cheer you up.
Just don't over do it...follow maximum dosage guidelines and it will certainly help :hug:

If your back is sore you should really get it checked by a pro 'cause it could be inflammed and if it is, then the worst thing you could do would be apply heat on that area :hug:

Have you tried a TENS machine? I did and it really took the pin away from my back and the sciatica down my leg. I was a bit skeptical, but saw it in Lloyds pharmacy for £15 and though, I'll give it a go. It did work, though I felt it could have been a bit more powerful, as I had it turned up to the max. I bought a medical one (think it was about £70) and it was really fantastic. I've been painfree for a good few weeks now. xx

Have you tried a TENS machine? I did and it really took the pin away from my back and the sciatica down my leg. I was a bit skeptical, but saw it in Lloyds pharmacy for £15 and though, I'll give it a go. It did work, though I felt it could have been a bit more powerful, as I had it turned up to the max. I bought a medical one (think it was about £70) and it was really fantastic. I've been painfree for a good few weeks now. xx

Wow.. that sounds great.. think I'll get one myself:hug:

Yeah I have used a medical one a few times, I can't remember what they are called though, I used to go to a physio therapist who used it on my back and it was fine for a couple of hours then back to normal again. :confused: I've had back problems for a few years now, sometimes it's barable but lately its mainly been my hips and down my right leg in about 4 different spots as far as my ankle, and it comes with that kind of icey burning feeling (prob makes no sense! but thats how I describe it lol) which I have been told could be inflamation, and it's been constant for the past 2 weeks at least. To be honest I should go to the docs about it again but I'm put off because they just tell me to take pain killers :mad:

Latest posts

Back