Swarovski Crystals and Shellac-my tuppence worth!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyndseyD

Reaction score
Hi!
Loads of people (including me!) were searching for the longest lasting method for attaching swarovski crystals. I was concerned that top coat would dull them as some said but I also didn't want to charge and have them fall off! So, just before I went on holiday I tried four methods to see which one would last the longest.
Each time I applied the crystals on top of cured and wiped shellac top coat (sticky layer removed) On one foot I used brush on nail glue, on the other I used resin and activator.
On one hand I used nail glue and a thin layer of shellac top coat and on the other resin and activator and a thin top coat.

The results:
I lost two crystals of the 'glued toes' within two days and one off the finger nail on the glued side around the same time.
After 4 days I had lost another 3 off the glued toes and a further one off the finger.
By the 5th day I had lost another one off the glue side and the very first one off the resin toe. I would like to point out that I was in flip flops all the time and at the beach so my toes got a good sand blasting on a daily basis but still the resin held fast. I also have a 22month old son, who insisted on testing out the soles of his new converse by continually stepping on my bare toes!!:eek:
Only on day 7 did I lose one crystal at the free edge on the resin and top coat finger. I genuinely did not feel that the top coat caused the crystals to lose their sparkle at all, they remained just as sparkly as the ones on my toes. So, to this end, I think with my first crystal client (tomorrow morning!!) I will be sticking to the resin and activator and a thin layer of top coat, just to be safe!
Apologies for the long post, but hope this helps others, who like me are always searching for the perfect results!! Love, love, love this site!! :Love:

I love that kind of review. Its the sort of thing I would do, I totally test everything on myself before selling to clients. This is such an expensive treatment so it has to be good enough. Seven days on your fingers surely means it will last weeks on toes.

So you put the resin directly onto the Shellac colour coat? Have I got that right?

I am currently doing a trial with a crystal pedicure on my own feet. I use Gelish. I applied the gems to a thin uncured sheer colour layer - cured and then topcoat. 10 days in I haven't lost any gems yet. I haven't put them through what you have but I've had boots on.

A fab review, thank you!
I just paint my toes with a normal polish, then push crystals in the wet polish and use ASp nail art sealer & top coat. I dont ever lose crystrals, they grow out xx

I love that kind of review. Its the sort of thing I would do, I totally test everything on myself before selling to clients. This is such an expensive treatment so it has to be good enough. Seven days on your fingers surely means it will last weeks on toes.

So you put the resin directly onto the Shellac colour coat? Have I got that right?

I am currently doing a trial with a crystal pedicure on my own feet. I use Gelish. I applied the gems to a thin uncured sheer colour layer - cured and then topcoat. 10 days in I haven't lost any gems yet. I haven't put them through what you have but I've had boots on.
I put them on top of cured and wiped top coat. I had originally thought of putting them in the uncured colour layer and then curing but was worried that the colour wouldn't cure properly under the crystals, also wasn't sure how to go about painting resin on top of wet polish? Mmmm.....I feel another experiment coming on lol! xx

I currently have a client testing for me:

I have applied them into uncured shellac (she only has 3 on each finger so should affect curing as full sets would). and set with two layers of tope coat, no gel, no resin and She has had them on for ten days and still going strong and shes not exactly delicate with her hands!

I always use resin and activator directly onto natural nail (no Shellac or Gel) and as well as the sparkle being amazing, they last on toes for at least 4 weeks.

Do you top coat?

Do you top coat?

If you are asking me then no I don't use top coat. Anytime I tried top coat is does reduce the sparkle. Xx

Thank you I have before and you are right.

I am now halfway through second big toe and they are bling, bling! x

ZoeRose84 i use that method too!

I also like to do a Shellac rockstar nail then once Ive applied the glitter apply one fine layer of top coat and apply the crystals into the wet top coat cure for 2 mins then apply another layer of top coat!

Then in between the crystals theres lots of nice sparkly glitter!!

Another method is using Gel Bond and applying the crystals directly on top of Minx! again you get a lovely shine in between the crystals!

I have just put crystals on my big toes before I go on holiday I have top coated I will see how long they last xxx

Thank you I have before and you are right.

I am now halfway through second big toe and they are bling, bling! x

Are you using resin & activator?

Just finished mine (had to stop for tea!). They are fab, have done big toes with crystals set in resin and other toes with mother of pearl and silver irregular glitter from s2, yum, yum!

Hi!
Loads of people (including me!) were searching for the longest lasting method for attaching swarovski crystals. I was concerned that top coat would dull them as some said but I also didn't want to charge and have them fall off! So, just before I went on holiday I tried four methods to see which one would last the longest.
Each time I applied the crystals on top of cured and wiped shellac top coat (sticky layer removed) On one foot I used brush on nail glue, on the other I used resin and activator.
On one hand I used nail glue and a thin layer of shellac top coat and on the other resin and activator and a thin top coat.

The results:
I lost two crystals of the 'glued toes' within two days and one off the finger nail on the glued side around the same time.
After 4 days I had lost another 3 off the glued toes and a further one off the finger.
By the 5th day I had lost another one off the glue side and the very first one off the resin toe. I would like to point out that I was in flip flops all the time and at the beach so my toes got a good sand blasting on a daily basis but still the resin held fast. I also have a 22month old son, who insisted on testing out the soles of his new converse by continually stepping on my bare toes!!:eek:
Only on day 7 did I lose one crystal at the free edge on the resin and top coat finger. I genuinely did not feel that the top coat caused the crystals to lose their sparkle at all, they remained just as sparkly as the ones on my toes. So, to this end, I think with my first crystal client (tomorrow morning!!) I will be sticking to the resin and activator and a thin layer of top coat, just to be safe!
Apologies for the long post, but hope this helps others, who like me are always searching for the perfect results!! Love, love, love this site!! :Love:

Great post! May I ask on the resin and top-coated fingers which products you used? so far ive tried the crystals on top of Gelish topcoat and no sealing topcoat as i find this takes the bling away, Ive lost 3 stones within 24 hrs, im now trying NSI polybond resin but im guessing a fibreglass resin and activator would work better.

ZoeRose84 i use that method too!

I also like to do a Shellac rockstar nail then once Ive applied the glitter apply one fine layer of top coat and apply the crystals into the wet top coat cure for 2 mins then apply another layer of top coat!

Then in between the crystals theres lots of nice sparkly glitter!!

Another method is using Gel Bond and applying the crystals directly on top of Minx! again you get a lovely shine in between the crystals!

Ohhh now thats something Ill have to try ;)

The only downfall from the OP's review is you would need to train in both Shellac and fibreglass nails to be able to provide it as a service to your clients and be covered by insurance.

It seems a shame that you couldn't find a way to do it well enough with just Shellac.

Great post! May I ask on the resin and top-coated fingers which products you used? so far ive tried the crystals on top of Gelish topcoat and no sealing topcoat as i find this takes the bling away, Ive lost 3 stones within 24 hrs, im now trying NSI polybond resin but im guessing a fibreglass resin and activator would work better.
Hi there,
I use Shellac all the way to the final colour coat. I cure the 2nd colour layer, then use resin and activator to apply the crystals. I then used a layer of shellac top coat and cure as normal. I didn't find that it caused the crystals to lose their bling at all, when the light hits them they sparkle like mad!

The only downfall from the OP's review is you would need to train in both Shellac and fibreglass nails to be able to provide it as a service to your clients and be covered by insurance.

It seems a shame that you couldn't find a way to do it well enough with just Shellac.
I know Baggybear, it's a tough one trying to get perfection before we charge folk lol. I had to check with my insurance that my previous training covered me to use resin on potential clients! It's a minefield out there. The Shellac alone just doesn't quite seem to be strong enough to hold the crystals which is a shame. I've never used gel based polish before, I believe they're a lot stronger than the Shellac? What do you think? x

I use Cuccio Pronto soak off gel and find it does the job perfectly. My crystals stay put for 5/6 weeks easily and my newly found topcoat (Eco universal soak off topcoat) is fab and there is defo no loss of sparkle with it :D.

BaggyBear, after reading your comments about ECO Universal top coat, I decided to give it a go. I think it's a thinner consistency than Shellac TC so it flows around the stones better. The only down side of that is that I was too heavy handed and it flowed all over my finger....lol. My stones are firmly in place, though!

Latest posts

Back