Tanning complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Had a new lady in last night for spray tan. She's a discount dolly and goes from place to place on Groupon vouchers. I did a leaflet drop recently with a 20% off offer, so she called to enquire and book in.

When she arrived we talked through everything and discussed which colour she wanted to go for. We agreed on 12% as I explained that this was what most go for as it's natural looking and not "too" dark so would give her a nice natural healthy glow. (I use LA Tan)

She asked me to spray twice on her face, so I did and at the end I asked her to look over and see if she was happy or if there were any bits she wanted me to spray again. She said it looked fine. I also pulled down her knicker line at the side to show her there was a white mark and she was happy.

I've now had a message left this morning saying she isn't happy and that she doesn't feel she looks any different and that it hasn't taken at all.

My instinct is to say that if she wants to go darker I'll happily re-spray her but it's the usual full charge. I just had a feeling I was going to have problems with her and lo and behold I get a message. What would you do? Should I stick to my guns or offer a respray FOC?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I would ask to see the tan and if its really "not taken" if it hasnt i would offer to respray FOC, if it has taken and she feels its not dark enough then i would tell her i would be happy to respray but it will be full price.

My feeling is that it will have taken but she isnt happy with the darkness, thats not your fault, you went through full consultation and she was happy with the spray before she left so i would be offering her back (maybe as a gesture of goodwill you could spray her again with the discount price) and make a note that the next time she would like a darker percentage x

Ask for her to come back in or send a photo of the white bit. That way you can see if the tans taken.
If you havnt had problems with the12% and the tan looks fine then it should of taken unless she had body cream on before hand to act as a blockage or any medication.

Also sometimes the guide colour is darker and clients get used to that and when they wash it of don't feel as dark. I would think it would of taken but just isn't as dark as she wants. X

Yes you have to see it and see it today.Treat her as if she was telling the truth and not pulling a fast one it may not have taken for whatever reason.
You can't change faulty products in shops etc without taking them back and you can't be correcting any treatment problems without seeing them.Thats normal customer service.

Thanks everyone, so if I get her to send me a pic or come in then. There was definitely a white mark when she left though so if it's personal preference that she just thinks she wants to go darker then do I charge full price or offer good will gesture of half price but still definitely charge "something"

Thanks everyone, so if I get her to send me a pic or come in then. There was definitely a white mark when she left though so if it's personal preference that she just thinks she wants to go darker then do I charge full price or offer good will gesture of half price but still definitely charge "something"

Me personally I always prefer a good will gesture.So if you see it hasn't taken at all then I would do it again for free.If it has taken but not as dark as she would like then charge her half but explain that you are doing it as a good will gesture.I think for what its costing you its always best to try and keep people happy.They may not become a regular client but at least they are unlikely to bad mouth you.They may even recommend you you haven't got too much to lose in spraying them again.

Me personally I always prefer a good will gesture.So if you see it hasn't taken at all then I would do it again for free.If it has taken but not as dark as she would like then charge her half but explain that you are doing it as a good will gesture.I think for what its costing you its always best to try and keep people happy.They may not become a regular client but at least they are unlikely to bad mouth you.They may even recommend you you haven't got too much to lose in spraying them again.

I've just spoken to her and she is now saying that it has taken because she still has a white mark, it's just not dark enough. She feels she looks no different and obviously wants to look tanned. Says her bottom half is darker than her top half (yet it's no different?!)

I've tried to explain that the percentage she had is for medium to dark skin tones, that if it's taken then it's just personal preference that she wants to go darker. She said I assured her the 12% would look like she was tanned (true to an extent, we discussed all options based on LA Tan recommendations, she said let's go for the 12 then) I told her 14% is recommended for dark skin, so I was basing her consultation on the company's recommendations and also how she tans naturally.
I said I'd happily respray in a higher percentage and as a goodwill gesture I'll do this half price. She says she's not paying for another tan because she already paid last night and doesn't look tanned enough today and that's down to me because I said the 12% would make her look tanned.

I've asked her to come in at 4pm so I can see for myself as she's now saying it's patchy too, think she's going to be a tricky one. I have done loads of tans, pretty much all 12% and every single client has text or messaged to say how lovely it is. Never had a complaint it's not dark enough.

She says compared to what she usually has you can't tell. So it's really going to be a case of she wants darker but doesn't want to pay.

And I know it's not patchy because it was perfect when she left here last night. Have a feeling I'll end up respraying for free but I can tell you now a) she won't be back as she said last night she goes where the offers are, Groupon here there and everywhere and b) I'll be booked up if she does try to rebook again, this isn't worth the hassle. I've built a really good reputation, every client leaves here happy and rebooks, I'm not having my reputation destroyed by someone who wants something for nothing.

Think it also depends on her natural skin tone, I'm very pale & when I have a Fake Bake Original (like 12%), I always feel like I haven't had a tan but obviously look a little darker than normal but my legs are still white.
So I've started to make sure I have the Darker to give a more natural look, next time ill go for 2 sprays of Darker on my legs just to give them a bit extra.

But you do need to see her before agreeing to do anything for free.

Chances are she probably won't even come in.

It's difficult to judge, I think until you've seen her. If she looks like a successful 12% LA Tan in your professional opinion, then I would say to her that it is what it says on the tin and offer to do a second spray with no guarantees, half price. If she has taken but not as well as you think she could have, and provided you are sure it wasn't down to her not prepping, then re-do.

I've only had 1 complaint in 3 years. It was exactly the same as yours; I invited her back to see her. In my view my clients tan was perfect but she insisted she wasn't dark enough. I said I would re-spray with 14% but she would have to pay. She went back to her car, then 5 mins later her 'boyfriend' turned up with rotweiller in one hand and baby in the other threatening to feed me to the dog if I didn't re-do for free!

So...the moral of the tale is: sometimes it just aint worth the agro!

It's difficult to judge, I think until you've seen her. If she looks like a successful 12% LA Tan in your professional opinion, then I would say to her that it is what it says on the tin and offer to do a second spray with no guarantees, half price. If she has taken but not as well as you think she could have, and provided you are sure it wasn't down to her not prepping, then re-do.

I've only had 1 complaint in 3 years. It was exactly the same as yours; I invited her back to see her. In my view my clients tan was perfect but she insisted she wasn't dark enough. I said I would re-spray with 14% but she would have to pay. She went back to her car, then 5 mins later her 'boyfriend' turned up with rotweiller in one hand and baby in the other threatening to feed me to the dog if I didn't re-do for free!

So...the moral of the tale is: sometimes it just aint worth the agro!

Lovely! :eek: Well she came and I resprayed her FOC. It just wasn't worth the agro. The tan had taken and it wasn't patchy at all but agreed it wasn't as dark on her as it has been on every other client. She used shower gel before coming to me both yesterday and today. I can only assume it has acted as a barrier somehow because this has NEVER happened with anyone else before. I told her that as well and said it's usually a perfect colour for most people. I sprayed with 14% this time. If this doesn't work then it's definitely something she is doing that is preventing the tan from taking and I won't be doing another FOC respray!

Aw Planky, never a nice situation to be in. I think a lot of people would have done as you did just to avoid the hassle,even if she doesnt come back at least now she can't bad mouth your customer service.

I am guessing you obviously told her not to use anything like that within the 24 hour period? Therfore this is entirely her doing!

Aw Planky, never a nice situation to be in. I think a lot of people would have done as you did just to avoid the hassle,even if she doesnt come back at least now she can't bad mouth your customer service.

I am guessing you obviously told her not to use anything like that within the 24 hour period? Therfore this is entirely her doing!

Yep and reiterated it again today and said that's probably why. She claims she always washes before a spray tan and never had issues before. I explained a bit more about why it shouldn't be done so totally not taking responsibility if this one doesn't work :rolleyes:

Some people's idea of a good spraytan isn't ours and its not so much dark as orange and if that's her idea you don't want her as an advert for you.She probably usually just gets the highest percentage without much consultation.

I use St.Tropez on most people as I think it is a lovely sunkissed look and
most of my tanning clients like yours Planky would be happy with the tan but an odd time I would have some one ask for a darker tan the next time they had one done. i.e they were happy with the application just felt it could be darker in which case I would use He-Shi which I have as an alternative.

In my opinion one cannot ever be sure how a tan will develop on a new client and indeed everyones idea of dark is different in which case I would have no problem doing another coat the next day if they did contact me straight away.

We will never please everyone all the time anyway all we can do is our best and use our judgement on what is the best way to deal with an issue and not be taken advantage of in case they are just looking for something for nothing.:rolleyes:

I know how conscientious and thorough you are Claire and you probably do this already but I do give (or email) all tanning clients a what/why leaflet before tanning. Does what it says on the tin. Perhaps (esp for bargain chasers) it might be an idea....

:rolleyes:

If she's not going to prep properly then she's a fault not you or the product, well done for handling her so well, i know what i'd have done ;) x

I know how conscientious and thorough you are Claire and you probably do this already but I do give (or email) all tanning clients a what/why leaflet before tanning. Does what it says on the tin. Perhaps (esp for bargain chasers) it might be an idea....

:rolleyes:

Yep Sarah, she got that plus another when she left Thursday evening as well as the one LA Tan have that I have a stock of. If she wants to do it "her" way because she's never had problems before then that's up to her ;)

If she's not going to prep properly then she's a fault not you or the product, well done for handling her so well, i know what i'd have done ;) x

She was tricky, was shaking like mad when I got off the phone she was so aggressive. Anyway I've done another spray, hopefully she won't be back ;)

Latest posts

Back