Tanning men

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shell-Perfect10

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
I have lots of experience tanning ladies but none tanning men.
Can you give me any tips? Also I'm a bit nervous about how the tan settles on hairy arms and legs? Xxx

Hi I'm interested in this topic too as I'll be doing my tanning training this weekend or next - without hijacking the thread I'm also interested in how people who are mobile deal with tanning men? :eek:

There are some threads covering these questions and a search will pull them up I'm sure.

Tanning men does not need to be any different to tanning women. The force of the air coming out of the machine will seperate the hairs and make sure that the solution gets to the skin.
IF the man is really really hairy then you can spray upwards instead of downwards as this helps to blow the hairs out of your way and makes sure the solution gets to the skin.
I have never needed to spray upwards but it is a tip that is there should you find someone really hairy.

As for tanning men while mobile I don't really know what to say to you, it is the same as tanning a woman, your safety is important, so make sure that any booking you take is one that you feel safe going to no matter if it's to see a man or a woman.
I always make sure my boyfriend knows where I will be and aprox how long I should be there and he knows to ring my work phone if I am any longer than he expects to check if all is ok. We have a word that I am to say if something is not right or if I want him to come to the address where I am, it is a word I wouldn't say at any other time to him.

There are some threads covering these questions and a search will pull them up I'm sure.

Tanning men does not need to be any different to tanning women. The force of the air coming out of the machine will seperate the hairs and make sure that the solution gets to the skin.
IF the man is really really hairy then you can spray upwards instead of downwards as this helps to blow the hairs out of your way and makes sure the solution gets to the skin.
I have never needed to spray upwards but it is a tip that is there should you find someone really hairy.

As for tanning men while mobile I don't really know what to say to you, it is the same as tanning a woman and your safety is important so make sure that any booking you take is one that you feel safe going to.
I always make sure my boyfriend knows where I will be and aprox how long I should be there and he knows to ring my work phone if I am any longer than he expects to check if all is ok. We have a word that I am to say if something is not right or if I want him to come to the address where I am, it is a word I wouldn't say at any other time to him.

Agree with Baggybear, spraying up a slight angle helps get through the hair.

Annie

I have sprayed my boyfriend before, he has particularly hairy legs and I wanted to experiment!

I actually had no problems and the colour turned out great!

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Hi,

An experience I had- first spray tanning a man;

I had an extremely bad experience with a man who got terribly excited with the feel of the airbrush... and I'm not joking... I didnt know what to do apart from stop the spray tan every time it popped up and wait for him to lose his excitement. It kept popping up and I kept stopping and starting for what frankly seemed like forever!

I felt I could not stop the spray tan and leave because all my equipment was set out and he was half air-brushed. For all I knew he may of sued me... and back in 2001 their was no advice books, websites, phone lines, or even other girls to talk to.

Good advice to add to what has already been said is "make sure they have a girlfriend with them, or take a girlfriend with you", the client should understand for safety reasons... if he objects to this, then I strongly advise that you dont book to perform the treatment.

If Mobile; keep your phone in your pocket- un-locked. In a salon; go to the trouble of having a panic button fitted in your tanning room.

Spray tanning men is on the increase but just prepare yourself for what could happen... it can pop up at any time!!

(Abstract taken from my book "Walking in sunshine" 2nd edition)

Readin this post an I notice tht people are worried about spraying males can someone explain to me why this is a concern I understand but just cause its a man he is not going to do anything any women could be the same

Readin this post an I notice tht people are worried about spraying males can someone explain to me why this is a concern I understand but just cause its a man he is not going to do anything any women could be the same
I think it's because men are stronger than women in general, so if something bad was to happen where the man attacked the women in any way or form, she would have far less of a chance of defending herself effectively than with a women.
It's this unfortunately, in the world we live in, we have to be careful of as safety is so important.

I would say that I am always just as worried going to any new clients house regardless of their gender, I fear there are plenty of women out there who could do just as much damage in an attack as any man could do.

I think it is advisable to take some sort of self defence class or something similar to ensure you can handle yourself if something should happen and ensure that someone knows where you are at all times and that you have some agreement in place for if you are not heard from within a set period of time.

Personally, my boyfriend has a record of all my appointments with names, addresses, phone numbers & an expected time for the appointment, if I have not been in touch by the agreed time he rings me, if he gets 3 unanswered calls he rings the police and sends them to the address of the appoinment, if I answer the phone at any point and say an agreed 'safe' word then he sends the police to the address because I am not feeling safe.

Latest posts

Back