TANNING PRO's and CON'S

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeatherDavis

Reaction score
HI SKIN GEEKS! I am normally just a big ol' nail geek, but I am needing some info from the pro's!

I just turned 31. I found 5 white hairs and I am getting crow's feet.

I have obnoxious combo skin, and when it gets dry it overproduces oil. I finally just found a good moisturizer at Bath and Body works (the supply houses here have NOTHING for skin care lines), and my skin is looking so much better!

Now that I have blathered on, lemme change the subject slightly.

I love to tan. It feels nice, it looks pretty, it even makes you look a little thinner.

But when I DO tan (and I use tons of moisturizer mind you), the lines in my face seem amplified.

IS this just something you have to either deal with or forgo tanning?

I thought with my skin on the oily side it wouldn't be so pronounced, but it is!! I haven't tanned since August for just that very reason!

ANy info is appreciated!

:hug:

Hi there~ I don't know the answer to your question as Iam not a educated nor licensed skin Tech. But I will tell you that even using moisturizers on my face with sunblockers and then do the tanning bed thing , I can notice a difference also. So instead of tanning my face, I use a instant tanning cream on my face then put a towel over my face when I tan. I use a professional one called Colour. EsteeLauder has a wonderful one also that doesnt turn your skin that gastly orange.

It is now considered UV rays are responsible for up to 80% of the skin's ageing, so yup any exposure to uv light (even through a window) is damaging. Therefore you should be using an SPF of at least 20 and reapply it during the day, regardless of if you are sunbathing or not.

If you read any literature about tanning beds then it will not be positive - unless written by the sundbeds association etc. Tanning can get very addictive and you are seriously increasing your risks of getting skin cancer ... a few geeks have already reported they have had it.

If you really want the tanned look then have a regular spray tan. There are some very good natural ones on the market now.

BTW JD - a t-shirt only has an SPF of about 5 - so I doubt a towel has much more .... and although you are protecting your face from wrinkles, is the increased cancer risk to your body really worth it?

BTW JD - a t-shirt only has an SPF of about 5 - so I doubt a towel has much more .... and although you are protecting your face from wrinkles, is the increased cancer risk to your body really worth it?

uhhhh, 20 mins of total relaxation..or always running and hiding and being scared of getting cancer in everything we eat, breathe and do..hmmmm:confused:. If it isn't from the sun or tanning it will be from something else..I love my tanning time that I do for one month prior to summer. Makes me feel good, look good and that equals a happy camper. ;)

Hey Sassy, This UV and cancer thing got me thinking. Since you do nails also, would the UV gel lights have the same effect as a tanning bed or sun but only in smaller doses?

Well then that does it- I am on a mission to make FAIR COOL.

I am embracing my alabaster self.

I have a great spray on tanner I use occasionally, I just really like how CLEAR my skin gets when I tan ;)

If anybody can suggest a nice spray tan that doesn't have that awful weird smell for the next 48 hours I'll happily give up my sunbed!

Hey Sassy, This UV and cancer thing got me thinking. Since you do nails also, would the UV gel lights have the same effect as a tanning bed or sun but only in smaller doses?

Good question!!! It is funny becaue many new clients ask if they will get a suntan, however it does not have the same strength of uv that a sunbed has. BUT it is still uv light so I make sure I work so that the client has their hand in the light for as little time as possible. I think as well this is why it is good to have a uv lamp that has a timer to automtically shut it off when the gel is cured.

I do hear of people that have a lamp without a timer and their clients are sat with their hand in the lamp for most of the service which can't be good ... and coud result in overcure too ... not good all round.

I have bought lights in the past that have a warning on them that the client should not have their hand in the lamp for more than about 6 minutes at any one sitting. So yes we should be careful with the gel lamps and a very valid point you have made! But no where near the dangers of a sunbed!! :wink2:

If anybody can suggest a nice spray tan that doesn't have that awful weird smell for the next 48 hours I'll happily give up my sunbed!

I think tanning solutions have come on in leaps and bounds in the past few years. Of course I am biased because I use it, but Tantrick solutions have a smell of perfume with very little hint of the traditional tanning smell!! It is something my clients regularly comment on!

uhhhh, 20 mins of total relaxation..or always running and hiding and being scared of getting cancer in everything we eat, breathe and do..hmmmm:confused:. If it isn't from the sun or tanning it will be from something else..I love my tanning time that I do for one month prior to summer. Makes me feel good, look good and that equals a happy camper. ;)

This is true too, and at the end of the day you have to enjoy life! As they say in Strictly Ballroom ... a life lived in fear is a life half lived! However everything in moderation as they say, and it is oh so easy to become a tanorexic and THAT is putting yourself at too much risk IMO!

I think tanning solutions have come on in leaps and bounds in the past few years. Of course I am biased because I use it, but Tantrick solutions have a smell of perfume with very little hint of the traditional tanning smell!! It is something my clients regularly comment on!

Hi all!

I am not a trained spray tanner but i do get sprayed every 10 days or so as i am against sunbeds (won`t go into that though!)
I am sprayed with Tantrick and i`m very fair so really didn`t want the orange look.................it is in no way orangey or smelly and lasts really well and fades very evenly!!
I don`t work for Tantrick either!!!... but when i read this i just wanted to let you know!! xx :biggrin:

Totally agree with you. I tan once a week for about 1 month then maybe go in once in awhile like every two weeks if I find the time. Just want to get that nice base tan so I don't burn outside.

We get those who waayyy over tan and start to look like they were rode hard and put away wet. Leather skin. Ewww nasty looking and not healthy. I often wonder if they really think they look good.:Scared:

Good question!!! It is funny becaue many new clients ask if they will get a suntan, however it does not have the same strength of uv that a sunbed has. BUT it is still uv light so I make sure I work so that the client has their hand in the light for as little time as possible. I think as well this is why it is good to have a uv lamp that has a timer to automtically shut it off when the gel is cured.

I do hear of people that have a lamp without a timer and their clients are sat with their hand in the lamp for most of the service which can't be good ... and coud result in overcure too ... not good all round.

I have bought lights in the past that have a warning on them that the client should not have their hand in the lamp for more than about 6 minutes at any one sitting. So yes we should be careful with the gel lamps and a very valid point you have made! But no where near the dangers of a sunbed!! :wink2:

Interesting info. :rolleyes: my timing on the gels are 2 minutes and I apply usually three coats total max = 6 mins.

Latest posts

Back