Tans for a tenner :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a lot of it is to do with quality of solution and also price of solution! When someone just said £1.80 per tan with solution I nearly choked on my water! Fakebake is at least twice that per tan (without hairnets, stickyfeet, cream, couchroll, washing towels etc, I would think if I added it up properly, it would come to something like £9 per tan! That's £1 profit when charging that tenner! No thanks! Think I'm going to invest in a cheaper solution rather than be forced to lower my prices!!

I think a lot of it is to do with quality of solution and also price of solution! When someone just said £1.80 per tan with solution I nearly choked on my water! Fakebake is at least twice that per tan (without hairnets, stickyfeet, cream, couchroll, washing towels etc, I would think if I added it up properly, it would come to something like £9 per tan! That's £1 profit when charging that tenner! No thanks! Think I'm going to invest in a cheaper solution rather than be forced to lower my prices!!

That was me! Bloody hell how much is Fake Baker per litre? Unless I've seriously got my math wrong. Not difficult as I'm crap at maths!! Argh nope, I hadn't added VAT... OK my Sienna works out at... over £2.00 per client, no extras added and also i haven't accounted for delivery.

That was me! Bloody hell how much is Fake Baker per litre? Unless I've seriously got my math wrong. Not difficult as I'm crap at maths!! Argh nope, I hadn't added VAT... OK my Sienna works out at... over £2.00 per client, no extras added.

I have to say in the desperate hope of getting my spray tans up and running I'm offering it for £13 IF taken alongside another treatment. If I was offering as a stand alone treatment I would never go below £16.00. But yes it's difficult when you're up against cheaper competition.

i must say this article makes an alarming read for me! :eek: I currently work my mobile beauty business around my full time job and im hoping to go full time self employed in the next 12 months. I do charge £10 for my tans at the moment as i worked my prices to be an average of the salons in my area (a few salons in my area are charging as low as £8!). It does look like my profit would be very little if i kept working at this fee so i would have to increase my prices. Im afraid i may have already made a rod for my own back with my existing client base but would have to risk losing them to the price increase. It does worry me that i could lose business to these cheaper salons but im sure in time for the prices they charge they will either go out of business or plenty of bad feedback of orange, patchy tans will decrease their sales. This article has made me realise how much we undervalue ourselves as professionals and the high quality products we use. I shall use this strategy when pricing all my treatments in the next few months. Wish me luck!:green:

Totally agree with this. I use organics which is a more expensive solution, by the time I work out my cost of solution (including delivery and vat) per client, all the disposables and petrol for travel as I am mobile it is on average £8 per client. I charge £20 and in total including travel time and the treatment each client has an hour booked out, so I am earning £12 an hour. If you only get 10 tans in one week you have worked for £120 a week which isnt a lot of money! If you were charging a tenner you would have to use a cheaper solution but still you wouldnt make much money.

Using a better solution makes a massive difference, I use fake bake and organics, I would say 99% of clients I have used organics on return to me and become regulars, fake bake I am lucky if 25% become regulars.

WOW, I can't believe it costs you all so much per person!!

It costs me £1.33 in tanning solution per person, that's getting 15 tans per bottle. I use washable shower caps which cost 99p each, some towels on the bottom of the tent and a sheet of bed roll costing me a couple of quid for about 100 sheets.

Maximum it would cost me is £2.50 per person.

I charge £10 per client and have 100's, many have them weekly, some only have them for special occasions. I'd much rather have loads of people out there advertising my tan for me than the odd one having a special occasion tan!!

There's plenty of profit in it.

It costs me £1.33 in tanning solution per person, that's getting 15 tans per bottle. I use washable shower caps which cost 99p each, some towels on the bottom of the tent and a sheet of bed roll costing me a couple of quid for about 100 sheets.

I charge £10 per client and have 100's, many have them weekly, some only have them for special occasions. I'd much rather have loads of people out there advertising my tan for me than the odd one having a special occasion tan!!

what kind of tan you use. i charge £15 top ups withing 2 weeks are 10, or i sometimes put them on special for 10. it costs me £3.50 in solution then i have caps etc too

what kind of tan you use. i charge £15 top ups withing 2 weeks are 10, or i sometimes put them on special for 10. it costs me £3.50 in solution then i have caps etc too

LA Tan - I think that's a good way of charging :)

I don't think there's a right, or wrong answer in this.
It's what works for us!
I charge £10;
I work from home so my overheads aren't Huge;
It's a great tan and everyone who's had a tan has always come back and booked in for more treatments.
I'm an 'affordable' therapist who offers quality services with quality products and find the majority of my clients have 3+ treatments together. I'm not trying to beat the salons in the area I'm just trying to make it work for me.
And for the moment it is x

I don't think there's a right, or wrong answer in this.
It's what works for us!
I charge £10;
I work from home so my overheads aren't Huge;
It's a great tan and everyone who's had a tan has always come back and booked in for more treatments.
I'm an 'affordable' therapist who offers quality services with quality products and find the majority of my clients have 3+ treatments together. I'm not trying to beat the salons in the area I'm just trying to make it work for me.
And for the moment it is x
That sounds exactly like me!

I'm 'known' for my tans, people love 'em.. because they love them and I'm good at what I do, it has built my business to be what it is now (offering nails, lashes and facial waxing and doing well at it), I feel that charging anymore is daft when it brings me so much business :)

I think it all depends on solution I use organics which even if I buy a gallon works out at 2.69 I think per tan. Thats without disposables sticky feet etc. I did use just couch roll when I first started out but tried out the sticky feet and my clients loved them and those little touches sort of set me apart from any competition.

Also a lot of my clients think the I charge £20 is cheap I think area plays a massive part in what products you can use and what you can charge.

I get the organic solution and get a good 30 tans out of a litre bottle and worked that out just for the solution with vat is aobout 2.20 a tan then with everything else added on your talkin at least a fiver and I charge £20 being mobile but then again I can change the price for parties and such. All my clients love the solution and are quite happy to pay that plus I am mobile as well.

That sounds exactly like me!

I'm 'known' for my tans, people love 'em.. because they love them and I'm good at what I do, it has built my business to be what it is now (offering nails, lashes and facial waxing and doing well at it), I feel that charging anymore is daft when it brings me so much business :)

is the la tan any good im thinking of changing brands....????

is the la tan any good im thinking of changing brands....????
Yeah I've never had any problems - I've used it for 2 years and still have many clients who I started out with all that time ago :)

i charge £20 if i go to the clients home. If they come to me its £15.
But every thursday `only from my home salon` i charge £10 i am pretty busy on thursdays :). Before i wasn`t that busy with my £20 tans and since offering the discounted ones i am really busy.
I have also found that people are buying their own kits now and they do friends and family but also a lot of people have set up and do £10 tans all the time. It seems that everybody wants to do tanning at the moment and people are setting up daily so its just one big competition now. x

Latest posts

Back