Tans for a tenner :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nails2nails

Reaction score
I would love to know what you think?

Im currently charging £15 for my tans and I have been thinking this maybe too much! I am toying with the idea of only charging £10.

I know your going to say this is way too cheap BUT I just get the feeling for a treatment that needs topping up every week 15 pounds seems a bit too much. I never started out doing tans as a money maker they was just I guess a perk. I have enough money coming in from other services I offer, which is why Im thinking of offering tans for a tenner. Plus I also think if a clients says how much is tan .. and you 15 they are a bit umm maybe next time or undecided...but if you say it's a tenner I think they would be inclided to go for it.

My thinking I would rather have lot of weekly clients paying a tenner than having a few a week paying 15 and lets face I'll still make money by charging a tenner from a 1 litre bottle

So there you have what do you think good or bad move? :hug:

I charge £15 too but often offer them for £10 if booked alongside a set of nails

Bad idea.
£15 is two packs of fags, not a lot of money. Everyone has 15 quid.

The key is to make them WANT something. Create a buzz, make it a service to be desired.

Always wear a perfect tan yourself, look impeccable.
What are you gonna do if your tans still don't sell at £10, go even lower? Set your prices, stick to them, and work at selling the service to people who want it rather than trying to work for no profit on people who don't want it.

Don't do it! I did this and u know what? Its just not worth it. Spray tanning takes skill and effort to learn how to do it. People come to you to have a perfect tan which they can't do themselves at home.

Think about it you have 5 clients paying £10 each that's £50. Approx 20 mins per appointment so about 1hour 20 mins work not including time for cleaning etc. 4 clients paying £15 each that's £60 quid less solution used, less time used allowing you time to fit in your clients who are paying for more expensive treatments.

£15 is still cheap. Imagine how that would work out if it were £20 per tan. Its not all about having loads and loads of cients in and out. Work smarter not harder as they say!

Value your services. Sell them as a premium service. We want to be high end not bargain basement ! I learnt the hard way, you don't need 2!

I charge £20 for my normal solution and £25 for my rapid tan....I did when I started wonder if I was charging too much as a couple of mobile therapists charge less but as my soltuion is more expensive than there's I find it fine..also the salons round about me charge from £25-£35 full body so I am still cheaper than going to a salon! I have had no issues with getting clients at this price but I do do occasional offers. The offer I'm doing just now is 2 tans for £30 when booking urself and a friend into the same appoinment...ideal for the party girls who come together and then they only pay £15 each. It's better to use offers as if u drop ur prices it will b a nitemare to put them bk up if u need to! HTH xxx

I charge £10 for my tans. I checked out local competition and in my area when i first started out and they are priced between £15-£20.

Because I was very new to the scene last year I really wanted to build up my client base. So my thinking was to offer competitive prices to get regulars.
The money is not number 1 priority at mo as beauty is my second job. I just wanted to build up some regulars.

I charge £20 a tan and yes there is alot around me who charge less but I get alot of custom from them as clients are paying the cheaper price and realising the solution is not as nice as mine and then coming to me. Stick to your guns and and dont reduce.

I charge £10 for my tans. I checked out local competition and in my area when i first started out and they are priced between £15-£20.

Because I was very new to the scene last year I really wanted to build up my client base. So my thinking was to offer competitive prices to get regulars.
The money is not number 1 priority at mo as beauty is my second job. I just wanted to build up some regulars.

What about when you feel more confident and need to put your prices up though? You need to also consider what kind of clients you're attracting. When you put your prices up the ones who are just out for a bargain will disappear. In a few different courses I've been on we were advised to check out the competition and price ourselves a couple of pounds more expensive then them! Quality costs more and people see something more expensive and assume its better quality.

Something really worth doing is sitting down and working out how much a tan costs you to do. Not just solution price but factoring in... Any extras such as shower caps, paper underwear etc. Electricity if you are working from home or a salon or room in a salon, the cost of a new machine broken down so you're putting away a small amount from each tan. Ontop of all that you need to put a price on your time.

I didn't do all of that but quickly realised I couldn't take a decent living from tanning at £10.

But u are making a rod for ur own back because when it does become ur source of income ur clients won't pay ur £20 prices! And if u assist in price crashing all beauty treatments, like some therapists are, then u will be assisting in ruining the industry and making it worthless! I just think it's a bad idea! Think of this, if ur day job was selling mac makeup, u sold all items at £15 making a £5 profit per item, then a load of other girls set up selling £12 makeup to undercut u, u would go out of business, so would they and then the makeup industry would be worthless as it would be worth peanuts per unit! Does that help? X

I think £10 for a tan is way to cheap, although different areas do vary a lot.

I could not even think of working doing a tan for £10 it would be a waste of time for me but I am mobile and tanning is all I do so it may be different for you.

I have always charged £20 and I have regular clients that know my price and they are happy to pay that and come back. I did a special offer once when I first started out and I would say that half of those just did it for the special offer and have never returned.

I made the mistake of charging £10 for a clients first tan...
I soon realised some clients were only coming to me for a cheap first tan, then I'd never see them again! I now charge £15 per tan regardless of whether your a new client or not! I now do a loyalty thing... Have 5 spray tans & get your 5th one half price x

I do see what u are all saying, thank u.

I do my tanning from home and only go mobile for parties.

I do feel I am making a good profit.
I am just so new to it. I'll learn from my mistakes.

I am charging £15 mobile and £10 if a client comes to me at the moment as a special offer, my normal price is £15 full body £10 half body, I have to charge this as there are 2 salons close to me who offer tans for £10 :Scared: I want to use a wide range of solutions to provide a good service and Im finding I cant afford to stock it all as Im so cheap and solutions arent by the time you have paid VAT and delivery costs ! I do offers for parties and let clients block book too but you have to be careful to make it worth your while xx

Please don't take this offensively. It is just my opinion after all!

I think stocking a wide range of different brands of tan is just madness. I understand people stocking perhaps a couple but more then that is just crazy! Tanning solution has a shelf life and unless you are a massive tanning company who has many many many clients coming through the door every week it makes no sense. At some point one of those tans is going to go 'off' meaning profit down the drain - literally.

Does it not make more sense to find a brand you are happy with that can offer you different intensities and perhaps source a rapid tan that you're happy with. Sometimes too much choice can be a bad thing. Leading to added time for people to choose what they want, complicated pricing structures which is confusing for both you and the client. Not to mention added delivery costs from different companies etc!

But u are making a rod for ur own back because when it does become ur source of income ur clients won't pay ur £20 prices! And if u assist in price crashing all beauty treatments, like some therapists are, then u will be assisting in ruining the industry and making it worthless! I just think it's a bad idea! Think of this, if ur day job was selling mac makeup, u sold all items at £15 making a £5 profit per item, then a load of other girls set up selling £12 makeup to undercut u, u would go out of business, so would they and then the makeup industry would be worthless as it would be worth peanuts per unit! Does that help? X

I completly agree, under-pricing is ruining the industry! It's under valuing our services.
Also, you say you don't do tans as a money maker and that you make enough from other services, but what if you do tans for £10, you get all the bargain hunters booking you, leaving you less appointments for your regular clients for the services that you make your money on :smack: LOL
xx

Well not really, how long does it take to do a spray!

I was just offering my ideas to OP, I appreciate advice but I am not going out of my way to under value/put out of business the beauty industry!

As I said I am new to industry and new to self employment and working on my own initiative!

Do not most businesses under cut other local businesses? If I am new in an area what else is going to attract new clients?
I have put my prices out as special offers to get people thru door and hopefully they'll stay when prices go up.

Spray tans tho, there is a lot of comp where I am so £10 a time better than no clients.

I have my full body sprays on offer for £10 but I use Suntana which is cheap for me to buy. I pay a weekly rent as I rent rooms in a hairdressers so I don't have overheads to worry about.

For those clients who want a 'better tan' I use a different solution, and this brand isn't on offer. All of my clients (regular and new) are made fully aware of the 2 different solutions and the 2 different prices and are happy with it. I'm really busy with both kinds of tans. I think as well, it depends on your area. Where I live, loads of salons are charging £10.

I understand that it's not feasible for those with huge overheads etc, but it works really well for me and I'm still making a good profit xx

Just a thought! Dont forget your prices are tax deductable roughly 25%, so if you are charging £10.00 that will take you to £7.50, then take your cost of solution and any other bits and peices, sticky feet, caps, barrier cream etc, then your time are you really making a good profit? And anyone charging that and doing mobile is just madness, with the cost of petrol at the moment any profit left will be eaten up by the fuel!

Just a thought! Dont forget your prices are tax deductable roughly 25%, so if you are charging £10.00 that will take you to £7.50, then take your cost of solution and any other bits and peices, sticky feet, caps, barrier cream etc, then your time are you really making a good profit? And anyone charging that and doing mobile is just madness, with the cost of petrol at the moment any profit left will be eaten up by the fuel!

I only use mob caps (which I get free from the company anyway) and I put fresh couch roll on top of my towel for each client instead of sticky feet. A huge bottle of barrier cream costs me £10 and I can have a client undressed, sprayed and changed again in 15 minutes. Like I said, it may not be feasible for everybody, but it works for me :) xx

I think everybody keeps doing this eventually everyone will have to charge £5.
I'm not being horrible but I feel that lowering your prices is the lazy way of getting clients!
I wouldn't want to be known for being the cheapest...
I charge £15 and every so often £10 when booked on a certain day etc x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back