Tax return: Training - allowable expense?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purpleivy

Reaction score
I can't find anything on the HMRC website about whether I can have training as an allowable expense or not. If so, which box does it go in?

Yes you can definitely claim training (if it is business related) but not sure where it goes.
x

Yes you can definitely claim training (if it is business related) but not sure where it goes.
x

Oh, goody goody! That will make things look a bit better! LOL! I decided this morning, after I tacked up a really awkward dress alteration, to tackle the next worst task on the list. Now I haven't finished the assessment, but have done all except the income and expenditure bit. I haven't finished my spreadsheet for this yet. Still, one section to complete isn't bad, it's only May as well! DOn't you hate it when you have a nasty job to do?

I think yes, but there has been some debate on this in the past. I would contact your local office or the help line and ask, just to be sure.

I did mine and they said no, I wasn't allowed to claim training... Deffo check with local office

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

well, some of the cost each time was kit!

I can't find anything on the HMRC website about whether I can have training as an allowable expense or not. If so, which box does it go in?

Your not aloud to claime training to develope additional skills and to add extra services that you offer! Its so stupid! But you.can claim 40p a mile for riding a Bike!! I suggest contact your local tax office and go on some courses to find out exactly what your aloud to claime.. Its a free course!

x

Who told you this?! The tax office direct wouldn't :)

I have claimed all my training expenses...

Your not aloud to claime training to develope additional skills and to add extra services that you offer! Its so stupid! But you.can claim 40p a mile for riding a Bike!! I suggest contact your local tax office and go on some courses to find out exactly what your aloud to claime.. Its a free course!

It's actually 20p a mile for riding a bike and this would cover ware and tear http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/travel.htm

You can't claim for your initial training to set up your business but if you are self employed you can for courses specifically related directly and used only in the sector you work in as long as the training is ‘wholly and exclusively" for the trade in which you work.

I quote from the H M Revenue and customs website "to be allowable expenditure, it must be 'wholly and exclusively' for carrying on and earning the profits of your business. This means that your sole purpose for the expenditure must be a business purpose." that is you couldn't claim for a PTTLLS teaching course, or a business management course but you could for a course for an additional service.

Last edited:
I've always offset my training and CPD against profit and it's always been allowed (apart from when I first set up as weezie said).

As wheezie says, as long as you are already qualified to carry out your business and your doing further training to enhance your business then you can claim.

I did the Self Employed The Basics course the other week and we spent some time talking about this x

This is a bit of a grey area it's not black and white. You can claim for training if it is enhancing a skill or keeping an existing skill up to date. You are unable to claim if it is a brand new skill for your business. Usually you will need to discuss with the tax office and they can make a decision. I was given this information on an hmrc training day. Hths!

I use an accountant he says yes you can claim back training he will be claiming back mine x

never thought of that, so if i do level 3 beauty i should be able to claim it back

It's actually 20p a mile for riding a bike and this would cover ware and tear http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/travel.htm

You can't claim for your initial training to set up your business but if you are self employed you can for courses specifically related directly and used only in the sector you work in as long as the training is ‘wholly and exclusively" for the trade in which you work.

I quote from the H M Revenue and customs website "to be allowable expenditure, it must be 'wholly and exclusively' for carrying on and earning the profits of your business. This means that your sole purpose for the expenditure must be a business purpose." that is you couldn't claim for a PTTLLS teaching course, or a business management course but you could for a course for an additional service.

The rates have changed since I was told.for riding a bike. I was told no for training defo call them. Sure you can put it down but is it legal?

Who told you this?! The tax office direct wouldn't :)

My Accountant!

I am also a qualified book-keeper and used to work for HMRC so know a little bit about taxable expenses :biggrin:

Weezie's explaination was spot on

Last edited:
Thanks for your help peeps! The Shellac course was included as 'free' with the Shellac kit, so that one is fine. I shall make sure that I read this thoroughly for info.

Yes my accountant said I could claim for my training as I am self employed and it is used for that specific need x

Latest posts

Back