Teaching with NO qualification

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeccabeeley

Reaction score
Hi guys went for an interview today at a beauty college. I am NVQ level 2 and 3 trained and iv been in the industry for 7 years but I don't have a teaching qualification. I explained this is something I'm willing to work towards. The head told me I can teach with no qualification for 4 years And gaining the qualification pttls and above is something they would support me with.
They have given me a 3 week trial which I'm delighted about as teaching is definitely the career path I'd like to take.
My question is what do you guys think have u heard of this before.
Im over the moon but all my friends and family keep asking how can I teach with no teaching qualification.

Thanks

She's technically correct but has misguided you a little. You have this long to achieve the teaching qualification you opt for. If you are teaching, you would be expected to achieve the DTTLS qual, for training it's the CTTLS qual. Therefore, you don't have to have the qual for four years but you would be expected to be working towards the qual.

Thanks so much for your reply all makes sense now.
How long roughly does each qualification take to achieve do u have to do both?

Ooooh this is a really good question, this is what I'm interested in for the future.
X

No, you do either CTTLS or DTTLS. CTTLS is one year, DTTLS is two years. They both include the PTTLS qual, which is a ten week course but this can be done separately.

There is some info on this site about these quals, particularly PTTLS and DTTLS, that you might find useful. Use either of those terms to do a search using the search function and you will bring up a lot of reading.

I'm sure my comment will not go down well at all but in my OPINION, this lack of any qualification while still teaching is one of the main reasons why college training is so dire in so many colleges. The 'teachers' work for a year or two and move on and never bother to get qualified.

The college students are short changed from day one by having to be 'taught' by unqualified teachers (who they automatically think ARE qualified) and in many cases these 'teachers' are badly qualified technicians as well!

It may look good on the surface but this lack of 'qualification' is abused by many! If Teachers are not properly accredited as teachers and experts in the subject they are teaching, then they shouldn't be teaching. First things first as far as I'm concerned, qualify in all areas and then teach, and our nail industry would have a far better image and much better technicians.

I'm sure my comment will not go down well at all but in my OPINION, this lack of any qualification while still teaching is one of the main reasons why college training is so dire in so many colleges. The 'teachers' work for a year or two and move on and never bother to get qualified.

The college students are short changed from day one by having to be 'taught' by unqualified teachers (who they automatically think ARE qualified) and in many cases these 'teachers' are badly qualified technicians as well!

It may look good on the surface but this lack of 'qualification' is abused by many! If Teachers are not properly accredited as teachers and experts in the subject they are teaching, then they shouldn't be teaching. First things first as far as I'm concerned, qualify in all areas and then teach, and our nail industry would have a far better image and much better technicians.

I completely agree and have come up against this a number of times. Just because somebody is experienced or had a particular skill, it doesn't mean they can actually teach the information correctly and as you say, it's the student who is short-changed.:irked:

PB
x

I have to agree with Geeg on this one. So many beauty therapist think they can get qualified and go straight into teaching!!!!

A woman on my course 6 years ago was doing her nvq3 to ensure she was qualified in beauty therapy level 3 so she could teach and assess her own beauty students!!!

I agree too!!! I am just at the end of my PTLLS course....this gives the basic's of teaching. I did this off of my own back because teaching is something I've always wanted to do but didn't know how to get started.

Once I have completed my PTLLS I can then, if I choose, go down the CTLLS or Cert Ed route. To get either of these you have to do some teaching to achieve these qualifications.

PTLLS will give you the basic knowledge for scheme's of work, lesson plans, behaviour management, assessment techniques etc. Some insurance companies will insure you to teach once you have PTLLS as well.....but not all.

Hope that helps in some way :)

I understand completely where you are coming from geeg.
I simply emailed the college for a work placement to help gain my qualifications and they have since come back to me and offered me a job. To be fair to them they did say that they want me to be trained to tech by the nail company's they use and I will be required to go annually to keep it up and they will arrange this. They also said they want me to start my cttls ASAP and I won't be teaching alone I will be supported by staff with lots of experience.
Without blowing my own trumpet I am excellent in what I do and have a teaching background anyway but obviously I know this isn't the case with everyone wanting to go into teaching and in many cases this would be very unfair on students.
When I was in college I enquired into teaching and you were required to have 5 years experience in the industry then complete a 1 year PGCE and to be honest this was was wat I was expecting and prepared to do.
This option is obviously better for me as I can gain experience work towards and gain qualifications and get the teaching hours required to gain the qualification and earn money. I won't be one of those to let the students down or move on after a couple of years. I take my career very seriously and want to be the best I can possibly be at wat I do with the relevant qualifications.

I do appreciate your comment though and I can see where your coming from :)

Beauty zoo thanks for your comment too and good luck in your future

THere are some companies that offer a fastrack PTLLS. maybe this would interest you so that you have a head start as you begin?

just a thought?

tigi

shall we flip the argument the other way....?

I have attended courses where the teacher, although qualified to teach, is not experienced in what they are teaching! That is totally unacceptable and demeans the course and certificate.

I heard of one teacher was actually attending a reflexology course and then teaching the course at the same time.

I taught Indian head massage and the college sent one of the full timers on the course so that she could qualify in July to teach it in September.

I have heard of teachers teaching reflexology after they have qualified and not worked on a member of the public since gaining qualification.

And back to the argument.......

I do believe that you would be better off doing a quick fast-track PTTLS course so that you have a better understanding of what it is you are supposed to be doing, then continue on to do the other longer courses whilst you are teaching.

there are so many people out there teaching with just PTTLS and thinking that is enough...nope, its called PREPARING to teach....so its like a introductory course.

of course PTTLS was rushed in by colleges a few years back when they were told that all teachers had to have a teaching certificate. A lot of people that had been teaching for years had been asked to teach because of their industry experience, and suddenly they faced losing their job because they had no formal qualification. The colleges then devised this fast track certificate to get everyone certified by a certain date, the mistake they then had was not withdrawing the certificate to newcomers.

I have freelanced for an academy and they offer a teaching certificate in one day! Pot noodle teaching.....great! Just what we need!

I can see from both sides.

When i trained in Beauty we had a lovely girl doing our facial class, but absolutely c**p at teaching!

When I did a hair apprenticeship I learned more off the stylists than I did from the teachers at college. In fact the best person out of all of them was a girl that was only 2 years ahead of me but she was AMAZING, at doing hair and teaching it. She became director of the salon at like 24.

Anyway back to the subject, some people can go on every teaching course under the sun and still be awful!

I think all sides have a point. But from by point of view I have an opportunity put here in front of me that I'm certainly not prepared to turn down.
I did look into the pttls qual but as the college is prepared to support me With the cttls or dttls qual which includes the pttls it wouldn't be worth it.
I will keep u all updated my second day tomorrow xxx

I think all sides have a point. But from by point of view I have an opportunity put here in front of me that I'm certainly not prepared to turn down.
I did look into the pttls qual but as the college is prepared to support me With the cttls or dttls qual which includes the pttls it wouldn't be worth it.
I will keep u all updated my second day tomorrow xxx

Rececca you go for it ... you sound serious and an asset to the programme. Shoe em how it should be done.

Rececca you go for it ... you sound serious and an asset to the programme. Shoe em how it should be done.

Thanks for your support geeg and for everyone else's support. xxx

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I got the job! Woop I started in July and I love it. Its completely different to anything I have done before and there's lots of paperwork but it's very rewarding.
I have also enrolled on a cert ed course which I start at the end of this month and in november I will also be doing my a1 assessors award.
So my hard work is paying off and I just wanted to let people know how I'm progressing and from one small email introducing myself and asking to gain some voluntary experience how it can grow (with lots of hard work) into a occupational dream :)

So if your looking to go into teaching I say go for it!

this is awesome :) there are a lot of teaching jobs I've seen advertised where it says you mut be qualified and willing to work towards this...I think this is fantastic that they give you this option because otherwise it may become a bit chicken and egg in that if everyone trained as a teacher before hand then there might not be work at the end of it anyways so at least by training on the job you are growing all the time and still in immediate and relevant employment whilst training to teach.

May I ask, did yo aquire your experience in a variety of beauty jobs over the seven years? I would love to teach one day and currently I'm still pondering which would be the best route for me to get the experience I need to do that.

Enjoy your new job and further training :)

Latest posts

Back