Tearing Free Edge when removing Forms

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H20

Reaction score
Hi everyone i am new to this forum. I am a newly qualified nail technician who has been having teething problems :smack:

I have found the previous threads very helpful, however i do have a question which i hope could be answered. Here goes:

When doing Bio Sculpture extensions, I have been having problems with the forms, either fitting them underneith the nail and even taking them off causing the free edge gel to tear which ends up spoiling the extension! sometimes even having to doing a soak off as it has come right off! I would be grateful to know how to solve this problem and whether other people are experincing it also??? as it is very annoying after the time and effort I take to do them!

That sounds to me, if I am understanding the problem correctly like your Gel or L&P has not cured/set/dried enough before you remove the form. :hug:

That sounds to me, if I am understanding the problem correctly like your Gel or L&P has not cured/set/dried enough before you remove the form. :hug:
Hi Min thx very much for your reply. The free edge tears after I have done all the prep work like the s gel and cure it for 4 minutes under the UV Lamp! After this point the nails looks sound enough (obviously not though ;0) It actually tears when i remove the form :o(

maybe you need to use a little more gel ?

Hi Min thx very much for your reply. The free edge tears after I have done all the prep work like the s gel and cure it for 4 minutes under the UV Lamp! After this point the nails looks sound enough (obviously not though ;0) It actually tears when i remove the form :o(

Do you tap it with the end of your brush to make sure it has cured ?.Sounds like it has not cured but it should have , given the fact its under the lamp for 4 mins.

Hi everyone i am new to this forum. I am a newly qualified nail technician who has been having teething problems :smack:

I have found the previous threads very helpful, however i do have a question which i hope could be answered. Here goes:

When doing Bio Sculpture extensions, I have been having problems with the forms, either fitting them underneith the nail and even taking them off causing the free edge gel to tear which ends up spoiling the extension! sometimes even having to doing a soak off as it has come right off! I would be grateful to know how to solve this problem and whether other people are experincing it also??? as it is very annoying after the time and effort I take to do them!

After re-reading your post,it could be that your putting the form with the nail extention,if you know what i mean,so when you take the form away,you take the free edge aswell.

Try placing your form right under the nail,then hopefully that will stop the free edge coming with it when you take them away.

Free edge gel is quite a flexible gel and it does have a habit of bending and tearing even if fully cured, unless you have strengthened it enough with another gel. It's very differnt to any other sculpting gel's I have worked with and therefore needs working slightly differently, but the results once you've cracked it are gorgeous and strong.....and easily achieved!

I take my bonder layer of clear gel out over the form, cure for two minutes, apply a thin layer of free edge gel, ensuring you have enough product at the side walls (this is a potential hazrd area as its quite a runny gel, and therefore can level out quite thinly in these area's) and down in a small overlap onot the natural nail, cure for 2 mins again and then before you remove the form build a good strong upper arch and c-curve from S-gel, paying again particularly good attention to your sidewalls and lower arch. You doo need to build quite well with S-gel for the enhancment to be strong. Again cure for 2 minutes.

Then I remove the form carefully. If I feel that it is going to be tricky to remove, I slide the point of one of my tools (small cocktail pick would even work fine here) under the free edge and just seperate slightly....the form then just falls away easily leaving you with a lovely enhancement, that needs very little in the way of shaping and refining.

You can't afford to do all 4 fingers with Free edge gel unless you are very quick and really know what you are doing, as it just simply doesn't stay put for long enough, so stick to doing 1 finger at a time and flash curing until you are up to speed.

My bet is those sidewalls are too thin, and you need to build a touch more on your upper arch.

Hi there, I agree with what Lyndsay has said. i have on occassion had this problem and it is either down to poor form fitting (tailor the form to fit the free edge snuggly) or not putting enough f/edge gel onto the natural nail. you need at least 1-2mm's onto the natural nail f/edge and then extend over the form, make sure the f/edge gel is not too thin and it should be even. Build the nail with the s gel as Lyndsay has said and then be very gentle when removing the form. I always pinch the form in the middle and then remove each side carefully pulling down and away from the extension (not across, if that makes sense).

good luck
Charlotte

Thanks for your time in replying Charlotte, very helpfull to me

Harriet.

SJ and Lynsey thank you, great help.

Harrietxx

It sounds to me that maybe you are taking the form away before building up the arch in the nail with s gel. Make sure that you do a thin layer of clear gel on the nail first then after curing apply your free edge gel, cure then build the nail with sgel and cure. then after all that take your form off and shape the nail how you need it to do the rest of your aplication.

Latest posts

Back