Tech Recognition

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo Jo

Reaction score
Hi all!

Ok, I was wondering how many other Geeks get a bit peeved by this.....

I was looking through the sunday paper yesterday, we always have the Times and I love the Style Magazine, it's full of shoes and handbags I will never be able to afford! (short of winning the lottery :) !) and I love to look at the new cosmetics etc... Almost every week they have a shot of nails, some really obvious some not BUT and this is my peev! how often do you see at the side of the page Hair by blah blah, make-up by blah blah and erm.... who did the nails??? WHY are the nail tech's not recognised for their work? is it not as important as who did the hair (which incidentally in this shot was barely visible!!!), right there in the middle of the page a flashy set of arty nails but no tech recognition, now there is a possibility they could have been done by the same person doing the make-up BUT why does it not say Make-Up AND Nails by blah blah.... I do see from time to time a nail tech's name mentioned like Marco Benito for Gerri Halliwell (I think it was Glamour mag)and I thought 'excellent' they are taking notice at last' but when I see soooo many pictures with no recognition it REALLY gets my goat! So, magazine editors, START giving these artists the recognition they deserve please!! J x

I completely agree.

The Nail Technicians could help themselves too by asking to be credited for their work.

I think the same thing for company adds and posters. It should say on the poster who did the nails I think.

Hiya,

Yes we should get more recognition and thanks to Marian Newman we are getting more noticed and appreciated.

Amanda

Totally agree Jo ... when (suppose I should say IF lol) its me I will want my name in huge blinging lights lolol :)

Jo xx

Hi Jo

If there is no credit for nails that means that there was no technician/manicurist there! It is very rare not to give the credit if there was (mistakes happen occassionally)

It was really a very short while ago that nails were considered a part of shoots (I started very slowly in '96). It has always been the job of the make-up artist or their assistant to paint the nails.

It has been a long hard struggle to show that there are many occassions (not all) when an experienced technician/ manicurist is necessary. It is still the accepted norm on the lower level shoots (and many top kevel shoots too) that nails are either ignored or 'the make up girl will do them). When it is a fashion story and the nails are in the distance a quick slap of a colour in the make up kit will do, which is really not that difficult :mad:

I have made it a challenge in my career to continually do nails so much better that make up artists and demonstrate where 'natural' artificial nails are essential or a subtle bit of nail art or airbrushing. I now get much more work that I can do (hence Marco doing Gerri and Liza doing Kylie for me and many other jobs) I also get a lot of jobs now that are seriously close ups of hands but it has taken a long time.

The 'big' make up artists will now not go near nails: "I don't 'do' nails, darling, I do make up!!!" That is how it should be! Low profile shoots have 1 person for hair, make-up, nails :eek:

So when you see a shoot and there is no nails credit, no one was there.

Marian

Jo Jo

Maybe you should write a "letter to the Editor" and cc it to more specific departments at the newspaper! You never know, it might get them thinking about doing an article.... :)

Thanks Marian!

It's funny how things sometimes are not how we think they are, I had just assumed that there was always a nail tech/manicurist on the shoots! There definitely should be!! And you know Marian if you are just too busy to do Madonna or J-Lo one day don't hesitate to call me for help!! I'll be right there!! :lol: :lol: J xx

OMG Jojo that is sooooo spooky I was reading the same mags and thought exactly the same thing. There was a great set of nails with a bite out of them and wondered who'd done them, credit for hair and make up but nothing for these eyecatching nails. Real shame!

Sassy Hassy said:
OMG Jojo that is sooooo spooky I was reading the same mags and thought exactly the same thing. There was a great set of nails with a bite out of them and wondered who'd done them, credit for hair and make up but nothing for these eyecatching nails. Real shame!

They looked very much like Andrea Fullertons but with no credit can't be sure! I might call them and ask!!! Jxx

It is annoying that alot of techs don't get recognition, but its also a shame they don't always have techs to do the nails. Mind you i heard that alot of the time, to get recognition in alot of these mags mean you are working for practically nothing unless you already have a name in the business, or am i completely wrong here?

I would like to say i have seen Marian in the latest Slimming World mag, giving advice on how to dry your nail polish a little quicker and how best to apply it. Obviously to joe public, but it was funny how i was flicking thru and thought, " i'm sure i know that face" and sure enough its our "Mum" giving sme great nail tips.

Slimming World?????!!!!! However did I get in there??

A lot of the tips, quotes etc you read in mags are not alwyas right! I have seen things I have said in places I never knew I said them! Then there are others that 'quote' me and I think 'I never said that' :confused:

Unfortunately, once you speak to a journo you have no control over what they print (unless you h ave editorial control but you can't insist on that unless you are really famous)

In general, editorial work is gratis, the credit is the payment (the better mags do however pay 'expenses' for a shoot) This type of work has to be done in order to get the advertising work where the real money is paid.

Some people, nails, hair and make up (even models and photographers) spend a very long time (years not weeks) doing this 'free' work as it has to be done! Worth it in the end but not everyone makes it. For every 'name' in the advertising world of proper fees many, many others have tried very hard schlepping around for free.

Marian

Latest posts

Back