Teenagers today not getting jobs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahpoppy24

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone had noticed that when we were younger it was the norm to really want a job when you were a teenager(school age). Just a Saturday job, or a couple nights waitressing. It was almost like a pride thing too to say, oh yes I have a job. I know today is different because of the economy etc, but teenagers do cost less to employ after all, so you would think employers would snap them up. I have friends with teenage kids and the majority have absolutely no interest at all in getting a job, in fact they haven't even been around town asking "just wondering if you had any jobs going" I am not critisizing this as I am not a parent. But would like to hear from parent and employers point of view. Has anyone else noticed this too? X

Big topic this :)
Most kids are perfectly well funded by mum and dad. They get to go on foreign holidays, have every phone, game, pc, tablet going and don't want for much. Gig? Sure, here's your tickets. Designer labels, no problem.
In my opinion it's the parents who cause this. Competitive parenting, your kids must have everything.
I'm a patent, I've been there at the mercy of it.
When I was a teenager I got gifts at birthdays and Xmas, I saved to watch bands and if I used the home phone I left 2p on the side!
Ok, I'm one of the dinosaurs lol

Things are a lot different for teenagers now than when I was young (I'm a dinasour too ;0) hell when I was 14 I worked 12 hour shifts at weekend's and cashed and locked up lol.
Kids struggle to get jobs now, a lot if employers won't even entertain employing them due to insurance/health and safety. Then when they finish 6th form/college no one wants to employ them as they don't have any experience.
I do know what you mean though, a lot of kids now seem to think they are entitled. My kids just think I am mean!! If they want something they have to earn it, I tell them one day they will appreciate not having everything handed to them on a plate ;0) my eldest is 21 now, she has a good job and finally gets 'it' :0) I can't help but smile when she starts lecturing her younger siblings on why they can't just have everything they want ;0)
I don't think the kids today seem to have any responsibility,I've always pushed mine to do things for themselves, even daft little things like phoning and making a dentist appoinment. One of my friends does absolutely everything for her kids, and I mean everything!! Down to getting there school bags ready, her eldest daughter is 16!!! One day she was backwards and forwards in her car to school 3 times because the kids hadn't taken things they needed. Mine know if they forget something it's tough crap! They won't forget it next time ;0) or maybe I really am just mean! Lol

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

I got my first job at 16 part time whilst I was at college. I've had a few different jobs but I've always worked.
I moved out at 19. I was still at college (I did 5 years) but i worked full time aswell.

My sister however (5 years younger) went to college at 16. Did half a year and dropped out. Got a dodgy apprenticeship that I warned her about not doing. Did it for a week and quit. Did nothing all year. Got a place at college to start in September jut gone. But then rejected. And now sits at home all day.

My mum and dad do pay for all her stuff but also make her very aware they ran happy with her. Although I do think they're too lenient. They would never force anyone into anything you see.

I tell her all the Time she needs to get a job!

Laura xx

This is something I fully understand why its happened as said above but I just dont get it! I couldnt wait to get out there making work friends and even paying a little rent made me feel responsible and proud because it was just me and mum. The skills I learnt in my first job taught me so much more than chores, college or school did. It gives such confidence in your skills to work and in my experience, working with the public. I think its such a shame teens arent having that now!

Ahh Where do I start on this one!!

It's all about ENTITLEMENT so many kids think it is their god given right to have everything handed to them on a plate! You are so right it is the fault of the parents, most just can't see it though. Just turning out a lot of lazy, self absorbed, selfish young individuals.

My first job was at the age of 13 washing up in a hotel. I worked like a dog for 50p an hour ( this was in the early 80's). I absolutely loved having my own money. Soon moved up to chamber maid then waitress. It taught me how to manage money and moreover a good WORK ETHIC which has sent me down the right path in life. Could you imagine kids today washing up for 50p an hour.
Mummy and daddy would never let their little darlings endure that!!

It's cheaper to employ teenagers but do employers really want to employ them? No because we (18-24) are stereotyped as lazy, unenthusiastic & unreliable. Obviously not all are like this but we get tarred with the same brush. Try as they might, but it's going to be hard. It's also illegal to work under 16 unless it's in a hairdressers. Kids 16+ also get pushed to go to university these days, some people I know go to uni just so they can put off getting a job for 3 years which is ridiculous but employers aren't exactly geared toward teenagers either.

Whilst I was at school I did not want a job and my mum and dad supported this decision. It wasn't about me being lazy or expecting everything to be handed to me it was about me wanting to put 100% into my school work. It paid off for me in the end as I did very well in my exams etc. Some people can take on school, jobs, life and still come out on top of everything but I knew if I got a job whilst in the middle of school it would suffer and I wouldn't do as well.
I've never been a person who demands things from their parents. I never had a brand new phone or latest designer gear. I was happy and grateful for what I did have.
I know all too well that there are teenagers out there who just don't want to do anything and expect everything at the same time but don't tar all teenagers with the same brush.
As somebody else has said it is harder for teenagers to get jobs now. In my village the shops around us won't hire anybody unless they are 18 which is a bit rubbish.

I had loads of jobs as a teenager. first one was when I was 15 in a bakery for £2.25 per hour (bad money - free cakes). I worked through school, collage & uni doing cleaning, shop work , giving out leaflets, the lot. basically anything for money , what it was didn't bother me.

I see my younger cousins now really struggle to get these type of jobs where as when I was young there seemed to be loads. I left uni and went strait into a well paid job for years and now Im meeting graduates who can't get a shift in tesco.

since loosing my job and retraining, Im finding it more difficult to get a job than I did years ago.

The only thing I have noticed through being back at collage with lots of young people is that although a lot of them work hard to learn and are quite bright, they can't seem to talk to people properly. like just general basic social skills.
Its very strange , don't know what happened there.

Well I can honestly say my 16 year old daughter who is in sixth form looks EVERYDAY for a job but there are just none going or they have thousands of applicants and you're lucky to get an interview. She has been round all the local towns to us in every shop with her cv and glowing work experience reference and they all just send her away and say to look online. She has a massive list that she checks every single day and emails her cv to if something comes up. She applied to Superdrug and got emails telling her that her application was being moved to the next stage, this went on for 2 weeks and went forward 4 times yet she still didn't get an interview! She has 15 GCSE's with amazing grades, is polite, well spoken, hard working yet just can't get anything! She is so demoralised and me and her dad can't afford to fund everything for her so her and her mates have all cut back on going out and just chill round each others houses or occasionally go for a cheap Toby carvery. I see with my own eyes how hard she is trying and really feel sorry for her as in my day it was so easy to get a Saturday job.

I do agree that some parents don't encourage their kids to get jobs and are happy to subsidise their amazing social lives but if like us, you can't afford to do that, it's so hard on the poor teenager.

Does anyone remember that "first pay packet" feeling like if it was summer holidays and you did extra hours, and had more money than your usual couple of shifts money and you went and shopped till you dropped because of not having to pay rent or buy food etc. It was a great feeling I remember it well I went shopping with a friend and blew 80 quid on clothes and CDs. Back them that was a lot of money! Felt amazing! X

Well I can honestly say my 16 year old daughter who is in sixth form looks EVERYDAY for a job but there are just none going or they have thousands of applicants and you're lucky to get an interview. She has been round all the local towns to us in every shop with her cv and glowing work experience reference and they all just send her away and say to look online. She has a massive list that she checks every single day and emails her cv to if something comes up. She applied to Superdrug and got emails telling her that her application was being moved to the next stage, this went on for 2 weeks and went forward 4 times yet she still didn't get an interview! She has 15 GCSE's with amazing grades, is polite, well spoken, hard working yet just can't get anything! She is so demoralised and me and her dad can't afford to fund everything for her so her and her mates have all cut back on going out and just chill round each others houses or occasionally go for a cheap Toby carvery. I see with my own eyes how hard she is trying and really feel sorry for her as in my day it was so easy to get a Saturday job.

I do agree that some parents don't encourage their kids to get jobs and are happy to subsidise their amazing social lives but if like us, you can't afford to do that, it's so hard on the poor teenager.

This is so sad :( people looking for jobs and getting knocked back. I feel sorry for your young lady! But she has the right attitude and hopefully soon she will find something x

I got my first job at 13 working in a cafe waitressing. At 14 I started to waitress in a pub, at 15 I became head waitress and was on £8.50 an hour which is amazing for being 15 years old lol. At 16 I became a restaurant manager and moved to full time when I left school - loved it! At 17 I started to work for a London estate agents. Oh also at 16 I took loads of extension and hair courses so alongside working in a restaurant and working for an estate agents I owed my own business. I then left my two jobs and moved up north, continued with my business and got a job in debt collection, also took another job in financial advice at only 18. Worked for them for 2 years aswell as run my business. Left my financial advice and debt collection job to concentrate on my business now :) so not all teens don't want jobs or are lazy. Although I didn't go into further education I still had great jobs. At 17 I was earning £36k! Obviously that has now dramatically reduced to below half that whilst I try get my business sorted. Xxx

In the 90's I got my first job in a bakery at 14/15, got paid £20 to be there from 8am-5pm plus all the free cakes and bread I wanted there and to take home. I started work full time at 16 on a YTS scheme.

I'm not sure why some (not all) teenagers don't work these days. Hubby and I work hard for our family but make no mistake the kids will be sent out for a Saturday job when the time comes. The only way these kids can afford all their things is parents funding them. That's fine but personally I think teenagers need to learn the value of money, take pride in having a job and become more responsible by having a job.

Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Got a paper round when I was 14, and I've been working ever since! That's 20 years, wow!
My mum and dad were really keen on us (me and my two sisters) getting jobs. Neither of them earned mega bucks and they wanted us to see the value of money early on. I'm really glad they did and you can't beat the feeling when you get your first ever pay packet. I earned £8.50 a week on a paper round in 1993, then went into town with a friend every Saturday and felt like a queen :)

I'm only 23, but when I was 15/16 I had a paper round job then went to college and when I was 17 I was working in a cafe and have been working since. I agree thou most are lazy and are either selling drugs for money getting into the wrong type of crowd or most are too lazy to help themselves. My sister boyfriend is a fine example he was out if work 5 months I got him factory work as I could drive us both, now I don't work there, me or my dad are getting up early just to give him a lift there, whereas he knows people who already work there, plus he had earned enough in those 3 weeks to start driving lessons, but has he listened? Nope he's spent his money and let his girlfriend spend his money and he lives at my parents house always on the xbox, work texts him everyday but he ignores them coz he doesn't ask us for a lift down or won't help himself. Bare in mind, me and my dad both work, so getting up at 6am to take him to work and going to our own work, the past 4/5 weeks now has taken it's till. But my sisters boyfriend won't help himself like I said his friends work down there, he won't even ask them for aift!!!

My eldest daughter started working at about 14 as a waitress in a local golf club. Alongside this, she got a job as a pot washer in the local pub. Five years later, she now waits tables in the same pub - she left the golf club only 3 months ago. All this time she was in full time education. My other daughter said the only place she wanted to work was Waitrose. I told her she'd be lucky. She logged on every day, and finally got an interview with Waitrose. She has worked there part time now for over 2 years, also while in full time education.

It's easy - if you don't give them money, they will find work!!!

I do feel really sorry for the youngsters who constantly get knocked back, but I also know of so many who SAY they can't get a job and their mums or dads bung them another £50 to help them through. If I was helping my girls in this way, I would definitely be giving them plenty of jobs to earn the money I've given them. I would also add that we live in the middle of nowhere, so it's not exactly like there are loads of jobs!!!

My parents made it abundantly clear that if I wanted anything then I would have to pay for it myself. Including (sorry about this) tampons. My dear mama said that she would provide sanitary towels but if I wanted anything else then it would be up to me.
They also took 50% of my wages as housekeeping. "Nothing in this world comes for free, my girl, better that you learn that now" was their mantra.
I took to lying about how much I earned!

I think there are fewer jobs going these days but we tried to employ my humsbums' brother aged 17 to make up sample packs for us, mow the lawn, that kind of thing. It was a disaster; they don't speak anymore! We were paying this feckless idiot £10 an hour, cash, and he moped around the place saying how bored he was, lying about having to go home early as his mum said he had to be home by 4 for his tea, texting his mates half the flippin' day, whingeing about how he was expected to work hard, blah blah blah.
I wonder how many employers have been put off taking teenagers on having similarly suffered?

As a young person (22), I'd be ashamed of myself if I was still living off my mams money at my age. I started working at 16 while I was still in education and continued all the way through college and uni. I think because I grew up knowing my parents didn't have very much money it made me a lot more motivated to earn some for myself.

As far as teenagers not wanting to work, can you blame them? They live at home get all their meals cooked, clothes washed, money to go out drinking. They have it easy so why would they give it up?

I got my first job whilst I was on study leave at school, also did some volunteer work in a salon while I was in school, and I've had a job ever since, I've never been unemployed except for a period
Of about two months, I currently have two jobs and I go to college, I'm 18...I adore working and it's given me real life skills, I just can't understand why someone wouldn't want to work! Xxx

Latest posts

Back