Teeth grinding

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Perfection

Reaction score
Just wondered if any of you have suffered from teeth grinding at night?
I seem to be doing it a lot lately and have tender gums as a result and also strange headaches on the same side as my problem teeth.

Not sure whether to contact the dentist to enquire about a gum shield. I was actually there for a check up a few days ago. I always thought it was my wisdom tooth that was causing the tenderness, which to a point it is, but I now think it is me clenching my jaw and grinding my teeth at night. I am sometimes aware of doing this during the night but not always. I just wake up with tenderness at one side of my jaw.

I guess I was too scared to mention this to the dentist in case he wants to remove my widsom tooth. I have been avoiding it for years!

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have done it for years to the point of grinding my bottom fang teeth down to the same level as the rest of them, (drives my other half mad)
its stress with me, no matter how well i control my stress levels through out the day it gets the better of me at night when i go to sleep,
your dentist can prescribe a gum shield for you to wear but you have to pay for it or you can try your GP for some pills to help you relax when you sleep hth :hug:

Teeth grinding could be a result of stress. Thats what my sister said to me once, she is a dental nurse. Your headaches are probably a result of the teeth grinding. Best thing would be to visit your dentist and see what advice he could give you.

yeah I have a mouth guard as I have wore my teeth down with grinding and i always knew when I had been doing it, my jaw would ahe the next day. I only do it when I'm really stressed and haven't had to wear it for months, probably because the kids have moved out i'm less stressed.

My dentist asked me if I was grinding or clenching my teeth in my sleep (how the hell would I know that if I was asleep lol) two years or so ago. She must have been able to tell my looking at my teeth and feeling my jaw joints which were very tender! I didn't realise I was but we were having a very stressful time so I guess that was the cause. She said if I kept up with it I should have a mouth guard to prevent damage.

I did spent a year going back and forth trying to find a particular toothache and ended up loosing 2 teeth!

So yes go to your dentist to prevent any further problems.

Deb379

I've had a mouth guard that clips to your bottom teeth made by my dentist..had it for years and it worked a treat at night to stop teeth grinding.
Funny...I've never had to use it since I booted OH out.....:rolleyes:

I often find that I'm clenching my jaws together and have to open my mouth really wide to relieve the aching. I must look a sight!
I'd echo the advice of the others and have a little chat with your dentist.
Good luck!

Hi, first of all id like to say I know how you are feeling with the pain at the side of your face due to you grinding your teeth, im in the same boat as you ive been in so much pain with my face i went to see my local gp and he referred me to the hospital as he thought at first i had neuralgia, but when i explained that the pains comes from my temples on either side of my face and spreads down towards my cheek bones which is inline to my top teeth, the neurologist referred me to a maxilofacial unit which they help people like you and me who suffer with pain they have given me a gum shield to help me protect my pains cos i was also realy bad at grinding my teeth it has eased a little but i still do get the pains now and again but not as bad the doctors have told me i suffer with wot you call an achy face syndrome (but my hubby calls me face ache sometimes ) lol, but ever since ive been using my gum shield it has helped a little the only thing is i feel it a bit in cold weather conditions but i didnt pay for my gum shield if the pain still continues id get it more checked out with your g.p if your too frightened to go to the dentist good luck and hope you get it sorted soon xx

I often find that I'm clenching my jaws together and have to open my mouth really wide to relieve the aching. I must look a sight!
I'd echo the advice of the others and have a little chat with your dentist.
Good luck!

Just watch you don't dislocate your jaw when doing this! xx

Latest posts

Back