Teeth whitening training?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallpap

Reaction score
Im really interested in doing a teeth whitening course so I can offer treatments in my home salon.
Does anyone know where I can do training/buy kit?
Any ideas on price?

Hi,
I dont know how much help this will be, but i recieved an email a couple of months ago, to my business email, from a whitesmile uk, asking if i wanted to sell there kits.
they said i could buy them at £10 a unit, and sell them on for whatever i wanted.
I know the local salon near me who sell white smile, sell them for £30.
may be worth getting in touch with them,
although i wasnt interested, so dint do any research into them, hope this helps,
Kate x

hi i am also intrested in this subject and have been trying to do some research has anyone trained with teethwhite that can give me reveiws please

Hi everyone on this thread, now please please please don't do Teeth Whitening training or offer it through your salon or business or have someone come in to do it for you.
I used to work for the worlds largest tooth whitening business so know a lot about this subject so please read this;
http://www.bdbs.co.uk/pdfs/28January2009_Sir_Paul_Beresford_debate.pdf

This part is the bit you need!!! to know "The reason for this preamble is to explain to the Minister that the dangers of the material when misused are understood, and that organisations such as the British Dental Bleaching Society run certifying training courses to ensure that the dental professional teams undertaking this treatment are properly trained. Unfortunately, there are a number of non-dental professionals, in beautician salons in particular, who are illegally bleaching teeth. Sadly, some of these individuals are using a Sir Paul Beresford - debate – 28 Jan 09 page 3 of 6 material called chlorine dioxide, which, although it produces an initial appearance of bleaching teeth, actually damages them."

The problems that can happen from tooth whitening are vast and with our clinical knowledge or experience I would stay well away. Think of it in the way of jo public coming along and offering laser treatments or botox and things like this with out any clinical knowledge - you just wouldn't do it.

What I would recommend is you find a dentist in your area that you can link up with and offer you customers a discount on whitening in return that they marketing your services to their patients - in the short and long term it will be far better for you. Trading Standards are clamping down on who is offering whitening treatments.

Sorry to ramble on but this is important to everyone that is thinking or currently offering whitening procedures - reputable whitening companies will NOT supply anyone who has not got a GDC (general dental council) number. Also check your insurance to see if they will cover you - the bill from something going wrong could run in to the £10,000's.

. Unfortunately, there are a number of non-dental professionals, in beautician salons in particular, who are illegally bleaching teeth. Sadly, some of these individuals are using a Sir Paul Beresford - debate – 28 Jan 09 page 3 of 6 material called chlorine dioxide, which, although it produces an initial appearance of bleaching teeth, actually damages them."

The problems that can happen from tooth whitening are vast and with our clinical knowledge or experience I would stay well away. Think of it in the way of jo public coming along and offering laser treatments or botox and things like this with out any clinical knowledge - you just wouldn't do it.

What I would recommend is you find a dentist in your area that you can link up with and offer you customers a discount on whitening in return that they marketing your services to their patients - in the short and long term it will be far better for you. Trading Standards are clamping down on who is offering whitening treatments.

Sorry to ramble on but this is important to everyone that is thinking or currently offering whitening procedures - reputable whitening companies will NOT supply anyone who has not got a GDC (general dental council) number. Also check your insurance to see if they will cover you - the bill from something going wrong could run in to the £10,000's.
I so agree with these remarks.
We are beauty therapists/nail techs/hairdressers, NOT Jacks-of-all-trades.
Who would YOU go to for teeth whitening? I certainly wouldn't go to anyone other than a qualified dentist, that's what their job is - TEETH!
In my opinion, the only people who would use anyone other than a dentist for teeth whitening are just trying to get a cheapie treatment. Well, you get what you pay for in life and cheapest certainly doesn't equal best.

If you do go ahead, please check with your insurance company first as many will not cover teeth whitening treatments.

After lots of research I've decided to go on the course at laserschool in Wigan.

Will let you know how I get on.

Best Regards
Salonman.

i know of some kit for sale at a very good price message me for details [email protected] you can get insurance from sinclaire insurance should be about £125 for the year. hope all goes well

Do you get the feeling that salonman is maybe the owner of the school they mentioned in Wigan? Why would you hear all the negative posts after coming onto salon geek with only a few posts and then start saying they would train?

It is true what was said before, you only need to look at the GDC website to see that they are prosecuting non qualified people who are undertaking teeth whitening. If you are found to commit an offence (which you would be by carrying out a dental procedure if you are not a dentist or GDC registrant) then this will invalidate your insurance meaning you would have to pay out any claim that arises.

... and only a one day course to learn how to do this treatment. (Checked out the website). Nope if I want it done I will go to my dentist, now how long does it train to become a dentist!!!

sorry that should say take to train

Do you get the feeling that salonman is maybe the owner of the school they mentioned in Wigan? Why would you hear all the negative posts after coming onto salon geek with only a few posts and then start saying they would train?

It is true what was said before, you only need to look at the GDC website to see that they are prosecuting non qualified people who are undertaking teeth whitening. If you are found to commit an offence (which you would be by carrying out a dental procedure if you are not a dentist or GDC registrant) then this will invalidate your insurance meaning you would have to pay out any claim that arises.

LOL very suspicious. If I was the owner then I wouldnt mention fuss beauty school and superwhote smile which were 2 other companies I have contacted.

The FACT is you don't have to be a dentist to whiten teeth as it was declared a cosmetic procedure in 2001 by the house of lords. Read alot on this recently and just taken a look on the GDC website and can't find anything on any prosecution. Please can you provide the link if I am being thick?

Thanks
Salon Man

I trained with Teeth Labs in Cardiff Bay and would highly recommend them!
I bought the full package which included the training, all equipment and also 1 years fully comprehensive insurance.
I called loads of companies before choosing Teeth Labs but am so happy with my choice as they were brilliant! visit website:
www.teethlabs.co.uk

Last edited:
This is truely a very grey area for many, what makes me laugh is the comments people put when they have neither trained to become what ever profession is at stake nor have they taken heed that INSURANCE COMPANIES are not going to give out millions of insurance away for something illegal. When everybody realises that the only reason Dentists call beauty salons and advise them they are performing illegal procedures is purely a financial status, due to the loss they are been hit by. Also the quote beauty THERAPIST should be a THERAPIST and not JACK of all TRADES, then please look into the Teeth Whitening procedure, I am not understanding the difference between a facial to teeth whitening......

My Best friend is a Dental Hygienist, plus 2 other family friends are fully qualified dentists, they have advised that the biggest problem with teeth whitening from a BT is how cheap they are doing it, never mind that they are using a lower % gel!!!!! Please let me explain a little more.... everyone is stating that only a dentist shoudl perform this procedure... Why.... because you need to be a Dentist to touch there teeth./././. this is a Cosmetic Smile, there for no dealing of advising how to sort out the teeth or -performing crowns, fillings etc, its a facial on the teeth...The other is its illegal..... as i have already stated if it was illegal then why is there 5* insurace available,,, and the very best till last is the % of CP & HP.....if the % of either is a risk then why is it that a BT can use a lower % and be deemed as illegal and damaging but yet the gels and lasers a dentist uses is stronger and higher both is watts for the laser and higher %, also why when a BT appies a Dam to protect the gums can the dentist send a client home with a kit that fully exposes the gums to the gel bleach, un supervised with no 24 hr tests done before hand......The other thing is that teeth whitening causes as much damage to the teeth as drinking a glass of orange juice but no where near as bad as drinking Coke. If you was to put a childs tooth in a glass of coke and leave it over night, the following morning there would be nothing left....

My advise is if you have read up and done your home work then good luck, if your one of the cowboys just leaving your client and not following procedures then leave it alone.

LOL very suspicious. If I was the owner then I wouldnt mention fuss beauty school and superwhote smile which were 2 other companies I have contacted.

The FACT is you don't have to be a dentist to whiten teeth as it was declared a cosmetic procedure in 2001 by the house of lords. Read alot on this recently and just taken a look on the GDC website and can't find anything on any prosecution. Please can you provide the link if I am being thick?

Thanks
Salon Man

Erm actually you didn't!!!!! See your post above, it only mentions the wigan one.

As soon as you go on the GDC website you see teeth whitening on the right hand side click on that and all the information is there for you to read. basically, in case you don't want to read it all but I would if I were you, it states that if they get any complaints from members of the public of non qualified people offering teeth whitening they will prosecute you as they are the professionals and in court cases you go to an expert witness. Gues who the expert witnesses would be?? Yep dentists!

Anyway, the percentage that you could be using are so low that it would be ineffective and there are ones out there that damage the teeth. There are clients who are not suitable for teeth whitening, are you able and qualified to assess them, no you're not. This has been covered numerous times on threads here, it is getting a bit repetitive now.

The insurance and illegal bit well guess what, there are many practitioners out there at the moment covered for insurance to carry out botox (trained medical professionals and bt) A lot of these practitioners and therapists are acting illegally with certain ways of working. They have a policy however when a complaint is made and the way they are working is looked into their insurance will be invalidated due to illegal acts.

It is only when someone is made a case of that insurance will be whipped away from you all. When so few claims are made with respect to certain treatments then it is eventually opened up to more people (teeth whitening, injections etc). The more people doing it the more claims that will arise.

It's also a bit of a money making thing for insurance at the end of the day they are on a win win situation aren't they? They collect your policy premium, if you get a claim and GDC come in with all their army of expert witnesses and successfully state that teeth whitening is a dental procedure (dental meaning pertaining to a tooth!) and legally only qualified GDC registrants can carry out dental procedures, let's see what happens then.

Hi all.

I've been researching into this quite a bit as well. If you train through Fuss (which I think i'm about to do) they don't use peroxide or chlorine, which is used in Dental Whitening, which is entirely legal, and as it is a non-invasive procedure it is classed as a Beauty Treatment, not Dental.
As far as complaints and insurance go, isn't that what Consultations and Consent Forms are for?
But I would say to anyone else looking into it, always read the small print and legal bits, and you can never ask too many questions!

xxx

Hi all.

I've been researching into this quite a bit as well. If you train through Fuss (which I think i'm about to do) they don't use peroxide or chlorine, which is used in Dental Whitening, which is entirely legal, and as it is a non-invasive procedure it is classed as a Beauty Treatment, not Dental.
As far as complaints and insurance go, isn't that what Consultations and Consent Forms are for?
But I would say to anyone else looking into it, always read the small print and legal bits, and you can never ask too many questions!

xxx

A scale and polish is non invasive but that is still a dental procedure which can only be carried out by a dentist, dental therapist or dental hygienist basically members of the GDC.

There are things that you cannot disclaim against even if you put it on your consent form, but in the event of a complaint all you need to do is prove that you were negligent (whether it was a potential risk or not). Would you be seen as negligent for carrying out a dental procedure when you were not a qualfiied dentist? I'd say yes and I am sure that all these hot shot baristers and lawyers would argue the same too especially when they had expert wintesses on their side (all dentists by the way).

Just as a heads up as to how insurance works, i spoke to a major insurance provider and they said that in the event of a complaint they tend to just pay out, even if it is just to pacify the complaining client!!

After lot's more researching and loads of legal documentation....

I still cannot find anywhere that states that it is illegal to carry out whitening if you are not Denist trained, only that you cannot use HP or CD over a certain percentage.
I'm not training with Fuss as on the site it say's they don't use HP, then if you listen to the guy talking he says it's in the treatment pack, which one is it?! Also I heard too many stories about lack of aftercare and advice from them, and Insurance policies not turning up. The lady I spoke to kept dodging the questions I asked abut the legality and contents of the products used, so I very quickly cancelled and stopped my deposit coming out.

I am still looking into the training so if anyone knows anymore about the subject, please get in touch, fact not opinions please!
Also does anyone know anything about, or been trained by TeethLabs in Cardiff, they seem very professional but i'd like some input from real encounters please.x

After lot's more researching and loads of legal documentation....

I still cannot find anywhere that states that it is illegal to carry out whitening if you are not Denist trained, only that you cannot use HP or CD over a certain percentage.

I have posted this before and I'm sure you'll find it if you look, but as I said the GDC are prosecuting non dental trained personnell who are carrying out teeth whitening. Look on their website they are the General Dental Council, you see the bit on the right hand side a section on teeth whitening.

You can access all the information there where it states about them prosecuting (as they have lawyers) people who carry out teeth whitening when they are not GDC registrants. You would not be qualified to assess someone's teeth or implement a dental procedure as that is illegal, there is a dental act that prevents this!!!!! All Acts are legal requirements that you have to adhere to.

I'm surprised you are still seeking training if one of the these companies were being vague about it. The whole situation is a dodgy one and I'd steer clear. By the way, I'm not a dentist so I have no interest in this procedure or business venture.

Ok, for anyone considering this training: Please look at the GDC website, any legal documentation you can find (not stuff put out there by companies!), the laws on the use of HP and SC, BBC investigations etc...
Legal or not? Possibly if you're using Peroxide under 0.1%, but the training companies i've looked at continously dodge the question, and I have seen numerous reports from people that after training they have recieved their treatment packs with 6% Peroxide in. The Insurance given with training does not cover illegal use of chemicals, and you could be prosecuted.
Unfortunately the companies often come across as very professional and legitimate, and the money you can make seems too good to be true. Well you know what they say: if something seems too good to be true, it probably is!

Thanks people for advice given.x

Hi Smooth, I also noticed that Fuss do Botox training, as a qualified nurse that offers this, what is your opinion on this? I thought it was illegal without being a nurse/medical practitioner?

Latest posts

Back