Terrible rockstar Shellac - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaiForrester

Reaction score
Hello

Desperately need some help and guidance for the Rockstar Shellac.

I bought some really fine glitter and tried out the rockstar on my aunty over the weekend but it was horrific and took me 4 hours to do and then take off :-(

I cured the base coat then dipped her nail in the pot of glitter and brushed off the excess and patted it down with my finger

There were gaps in the glitter (i could see the nail through the glitter) which was the first ISSUE i had, plus the fact it was SOOOO messy!!

So that was that, then I put my top coat on curred that and it just looked horrible. It was all rough and bitty - It was terrible basically.

What am I doing wrong? I think my procedure is all wrong. I dont think dipping the nail is the best move either !!

Also how do I get the top coat smooth? AND how do I get the glitter not to be so thick, but I dont want to see the nail underneath!!!!!!!!!

Confidence bruised - YES!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry you're having trouble. When I do rockstar I do my PEP then base coat cure for 10 sec, colour coat cure 2 mins, colour coat cure 2 mins, then with a little brush I apply a little glitter and really scrub it into the sticky layer, it shouldn't really make any mess and when it's done should give the nail a lovely foiled appearance. Apply 2 top coats cure and remove sticky layer and they will be beautifully smooth- don't forget to swipe the free edge with every layer xxx

Hello

I bought some really fine glitter and tried out the rockstar on my aunty over the weekend but it was horrific and took me 4 hours to do and then take off :-(

I cured the base coat then dipped her nail in the pot of glitter and brushed off the excess and patted it down with my finger

There were gaps in the glitter (i could see the nail through the glitter) which was the first ISSUE i had, plus the fact it was SOOOO messy!!

So that was that, then I put my top coat on curred that and it just looked horrible. It was all rough and bitty - It was terrible basically.

What am I doing wrong? I think my procedure is all wrong. I dont think dipping the nail is the best move either !!

Also how do I get the top coat smooth? AND how do I get the glitter not to be so thick, but I dont want to see the nail underneath!!!!!!!!!

It is so easy to do. Watch the following video .... it does not have to be messy at all. Make sure you are using a suitable type of glitter ... available from Sweet Squared 08452106060 ... and also a Shellac colour that will tone with the glitter you choose.

Shellac Rockstar Toes V3 includes fingernails - YouTube

Last edited:
I've just seen your profile and it says you aren't a nail professional. Have you not had any training hun?

Hello

It is best to use a colour coat first to go under the glitter so you cannot see the nail.

Get a fan brush and gently go over the nail removing any glitter that isn't flat, it will just brush down then top coat and then cure. Top coat again. If it is still feeling rough, gently buff over the nail removing the rough glitter and top coat again and you should be fine. I would definitely recommend using a colour coat first x

Its easy when you know how. I just had a little look and it looks like you havent done any training? Are you new to nails?

have you had any training hun? it sounds like you need to get to grips with shellac toes first and then attempt to do rockstar when you feel comfortable....

my application for rockstar is as follows:
i do base then cure
colour then cure
using a brush i pick glitter from pot and place over nail brushing in and brushing off excess
then cure
then topcoat
dsperse and feel nail, if its still bumpy from the glitter i apply another topcoat

hth

Oh no . . . .

Sounds like another "can you professionals guide me how to do it properly so I can avoid the need for any training and do Shellac on my friends/relatives (with possibly Shellac bought from ebay or some other unauthorised distributor in which case how do you even know you've got the REAL THING?) - to avoid actually having to pay to have a decent service done?" :rolleyes:

If you are professional and trained (although it says in your profile you do not offer any services) then I apologise.

Hi Shai, having looked at your previous threads you're still deciding on your nail tech training? Do you have any quals in manicure? If not then you won't be able to buy Shellac from an authorised distributor so which products are you using? If they're from an alternate source who knows what you're using - could e fakes - and that's why you'll encounter problems.

Secondly you do need good polishing technique to be able to do Shellac xx

- OMG this site is so bitchy!!

I am training with Jeni Smith, Cambridgeshire - I have PAID for the Full CND course.....I have just completed my Shellac training on 3rd July so YES i am allowed to do Shellac - I am sure all of you "professionals" are aware that the Shellac day does not teach you how to do Rockstar!!!!!!

I am asking for advice not to be told I am trying to save money by buying products off ebay to try and do it on my friends but gain professional guidance of you lot.

NO my profile does not have a qualification because i have not QUALIFIED yet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to any of you that genuinely concerned that I havent had any training but this website is suppose to HELP people not JUDGE people!!!!! - I was after some handy hints and tips on the process. I.E - the type of brush to use to put the glitter on and whether or not to put a colour on the nail before hand...thank you all that provided the information.

Honestly totally unecessary snarky comments by some of you girls!!!!!!

Oh no . . . .

Sounds like another "can you professionals guide me how to do it properly so I can avoid the need for any training and do Shellac on my friends/relatives (with possibly Shellac bought from ebay or some other unauthorised distributor in which case how do you even know you've got the REAL THING?) - to avoid actually having to pay to have a decent service done?" :rolleyes:

If you are professional and trained (although it says in your profile you do not offer any services) then I apologise.

I have to totally agree with the above! I trained with CND for manicure, pedicure, shellac and rockstar, sorry but all my clients are very happy, they love their rockstar nails when I do them, so sorry not willing to share my knowledge on this one.

I use gelish but I apply foundation, cure, colour, cure, then use a small eyeshadow brush, dry, pick up the glitter and scrub it in, this gives a smoother finish. There is sometimes some small gaps so that's where a colour coat is good underneath the glitter, hides it. Then I top, cure and sometimes a second top and cure. Hope this helps hun xx

I am training with Jeni Smith, Cambridgeshire - I have PAID for the Full CND course.....I have just completed my Shellac training on 3rd July so YES i am allowed to do Shellac - I am sure all of you "professionals" are aware that the Shellac day does not teach you how to do Rockstar!!!!!!

I am asking for advice not to be told I am trying to save money by buying products off ebay to try and do it on my friends but gain professional guidance of you lot.

NO my profile does not have a qualification because i have not QUALIFIED yet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to any of you that genuinely concerned that I havent had any training but this website is suppose to HELP people not JUDGE people!!!!! - I was after some handy hints and tips on the process. I.E - the type of brush to use to put the glitter on and whether or not to put a colour on the nail before hand...thank you all that provided the information.

Hi,

I am a newbie on site too, I was a little worried about joining up as I saw alot bitchy, nasty and rude comments! and I appreciate that are people on here that are just after some free advise when they have no intention of doing any courses etc.... but there are some really nice people on here too and they do make up for the "baddys". maybe some people need to put their claws away and think before they speak....

Im suprised you wasnt shown this on your shellac course as I was on mine!
anyway this is my process for Rockstar....
Pep.. file, cuticle work, srubfresh etc
shellac base coat - cure for 10 secs
I then sprinkle the glitter (I used irrasistable glitters from sweet squared or ellisons)
I always do this over some paper so I can pour the excess back in the bottle.
The I press the glitter into the nail and Brush off the excess
Cure for 10 sec
then I do 2 lots of Top coats cure both for 2 mins
then Dsperse
and you end up with a really lovely sparkerly smooth finish!

This is definately my most popular treatment, once you get the hang of it youll be fine.

Jeeeeez all the girl wanted was some sodding advice! Anyone would think she'd asked for tips on arson attacks!!
I do base coat,cure for 10secs
Thin coat of colour,cure for 2mins
Second coat,cure for 10 secs
Then using the scoop shaped end of a cuticle pusher pick up a small amount of glitter and tap gently to sprinkle on,the using the back of the pusher press glitter into tacky layer and brush excess off with a fanned brush
The two coats of top coat and your done :) very little mess and if you put a sheet of paper underneath hands you can funnel all the excess back into the glitter pot :)

Ps: good for you :p
X

Forgot to add cure the glitter layer for 2mins before top coating! :s

Hi Shai .. You are right, many have jumped to conclusions based on reading your profile .. apologies for that, but we really have nothing else to go on for information and it really isn't bitchiness, but more a protective instinct as this site is invaded periodically by many who want information so they can DIY their friends and family at home; these ones do make the blood boil a bit and I'm sure all the geeks will apologise for jumping to the wrong conclusion but they had nothing else to go on.

I'm sure you will feel the same yourself from time to time when you have invested money and time only to find that someone near to you is doing friends and family with ebay products!! Bit galling. Not to mention potentially taking food out of the mouths of people who are genuinely trying to earn a living at our job and have a decent lifestye, and have invested properly and buy genuine products from genuine suppliers.

So sorry for the 3rd degree but these girls are not bitchy just protective of that which they are striving for. xx

Wow why so bitchy?! I asked if you were a nail professional but I didn't mean it in a nasty way.
I'm really sorry of the attitude of some people, just downright rude!!!!
I hope some of the tips are helpful to you xx:hug:

Oh no . . . .

Shai is currently doing her CND Complete course with myself and that is why her profile says non professional.
I can assure you she has the real deal as I gave her her Shellac and lamp that is included in her course.
She has only just done the Shellac day on her training last week.
I feel that your comment has been a little harsh especially the sarcastic
And not at all helpful.
We dont cover how to do rockstar shellac in the complete course as this is taught on a standalone 6hr class under Shellac Nailstyles.
Jen x

Last edited:
Thank you Jen !!

I understand people want to do DIY nails etc but I wasn't asking for the products and procedure I was merely sharing my exPerience with trying to do shellac and failing - I genuinely thought that is what this site was all about - share tips on how to be better !!

Hopefully the ladies that don't want to share there knowledge may never need tips of advice in the future!!

Thanks for all the positive comments xx

Thank you Jen !!

I understand people want to do DIY nails etc but I wasn't asking for the products and procedure I was merely sharing my exPerience with trying to do shellac and failing - I genuinely thought that is what this site was all about - share tips on how to be better !!

Hopefully the ladies that don't want to share there knowledge may never need tips of advice in the future!!

Thanks for all the positive comments xx

Sadly you will get used to the rudeness , sarcastic comments and bitchiness on here . Most people on here are lovely though and very helpful x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back