That dreaded conversation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally agree with you on every aspect Geeg:)

For me, it's pretty darn simple, if a client comes in with a break or needing something repaired (like a chip) I will admit that not for one second do I second guess myself with "did I do something wrong to cause this?"...Nope!
the client did cause I wasn't there when it happened, so how can I be responsible. And yes, this is where a tech must be clever and quick and do exactly what you suggest, which is, put it straight back on the client in a nice way, with a nice tone and words and it works every time:) the client can see straight up that you know she is at fault, not the tech, so will happily have a good yack about how it happened.
While the yack is going on is where I remind the client of the cost of repairs and off we go with the service.

I agree, that techs needs to grow some, I would say this is one of the biggest issues here that we see, techs who have no confidence in themselves or their work, techs who let the client walk all over them etc, this industry is not the kind where you can be like this or you will never make it.

All this advice is priceless, i am so glad i started this thread! Confidence is a massive thing for me. I started in the nail industry by doing a home course and found although i could talk about treatments and services till the cows came i didnt really have a clue what i was doing practically. I have since had more practical training in Manicures, Pedicures, Gel Polish and L&P. I feel i am getting there but like i said before i have a long way to go. I am also studying business as it is my dream to be a successful business women in this industry. Hopefully with all the advice and more education i can kick the confidence issues in the butt and 'grow some' :)

We are in close communication with clients and it is a real skill to be able to communicate without challenge, without confrontation, without argument but with subtly of phrases that leave no doubt as to who is in control and who is at fault and always with a smile in you voice and in your eyes. (If most folks read my posts like that they would feel far less confrontational with what I have to say. .... Little hint there for ya! :D).

It is the phrases and wordage that should be written down by you and practiced so that it becomes second nature to you to answer in the same way.

Think of a few scenarios with clients and what they might possibly say and then write down your replies if it happens. Being prepared for any situation helps so much because when you are not expecting it, is the time you will be off balance and say the wrong things and then situations can escalate very easily.

Good advice from Geeg - take note ladies.

They leave us with lovely nails - once they are out that door it's up to them.

x

From what I have read should I not be offering one free repair up to a week after? I have only had a few people ask so I didn't mind doing it. I also would like a set of policy's, not because I'm a wimp but because I know I will get sick of explaining things where as if my clients have the sheet they will already know the answer!

From what I have read should I not be offering one free repair up to a week after? I have only had a few people ask so I didn't mind doing it. I also would like a set of policy's, not because I'm a wimp but because I know I will get sick of explaining things where as if my clients have the sheet they will already know the answer!

That's up to you and how much you like the client ;)
When I started up I offered 2 free repairs because I wasn't confident enough in my skills to be sure it wasn't me who caused the nail to 'fall off' Now I've done a hundred thousand sets of nails I know 1. Nails don't fall off by themselves while the woman's sleeping and 2. My nails don't break without some serious car seat wrestling haha

Do what you're comfortable with, if you feel guilty making them pay for a repair then don't. When you feel sick letting them walk out without paying then you start charging! (Similarly I always know when to increase my prices when it makes me sad to not charge someone more)

I think its down to your instincts really - you will know if someone is taking the mickey.

First time it happens just put right free (benefit of the doubt) and I would rather put right free and keep the client - happens again - charge.

Keep a record of who has what put right on their consultation card so you can see who has had what replaced/redone who didnt pay the first time.

I do say I am £2 to replace a broken nail.

If they have more then 5 looking a bit tired I will push for a whole new set - but thats mainly becuase I love doing a full set of new nails and not becuase I feel I've done something wrong.

xx

An ace suggestion I was given for a similar question on Facebook: you can also have a little sign at your nail station stating that your guarantee only applies if your recommended products are used and then tie it into retail your products at the end of the service. If you offer repairs within x days then only offer free repairs with purchase of your favourite cuticle oil, so "did you know you get a 5 day guarantee when you purchase cuticle oil?" as your sorting payment/rebooking, address the issue before it happens and train the client in proper aftercare by making sure they have the best chance of actually following through by walking out the door with the one thing you can give them to help them on their way. Other than that it's up to them.

Also, be confident with your work, if your own nails don't break or chip it's because you applied them and you follow correct aftercare, and as nail techs we handle all kinds of solvents frequently so we have even more chance of ruining our nails - remember that you know what you're doing, so don't let anyone push you over!
x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back