The best way to prevent ingrown hairs...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybee83

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Just wondering what is the best way to prevent ingrown hairs regarding a brizillian wax. I am so prone to ingrown hairs, get them pretty much everywhere i have hair, including eyebrows!:irked: Right now for my brazillian, i exfolliate about 2-3 times per week and i am applying Gigi's No Bumps (seems to be an alchohol solution) And after showers/baths i apply the blue oil (cant remember the name! lol)
So i am wondering if any of you skin geeks could give me some advice, or let me know if i am on the right track.

Thanks in advance my dear geeks :)

Just wondering if the therapist is waxing the hairs incorectly and so distorting the hair growth? it is important that the different directions of growth are observed. (This is probably not the case as you get them on your eyebrows too, unless she is waxing these wrong aswell?!) If it is not this then it could be that your underware is rubbing the area the hairs are ingrown in, if so you need to wear some that doesn't do this-is it particularly bad along your pant line?

Unfortunately some people are just prone to them. Exfoliation (but not starting before 48hrs after waxing) is the right way to go and then slapping on antiseptic (I use savlon) and moisturiser on the uninfected areas usually helps to resolve the problem. You could try releasing the hairs but not plucking them out and letting the skin heal around them, then rewaxing after the folicles have healed to try to encourage the growth in the right direction again. :)

Yes your on the right track, you need to moisterise often aswell so the skin is soft for the new hair to penetrate through

Just wondering if the therapist is waxing the hairs incorectly and so distorting the hair growth? it is important that the different directions of growth are observed. (This is probably not the case as you get them on your eyebrows too, unless she is waxing these wrong aswell?!) If it is not this then it could be that your underware is rubbing the area the hairs are ingrown in, if so you need to wear some that doesn't do this-is it particularly bad along your pant line?

I just started again getting waxed, before i would use the oil, but still tonns of ingrown hairs. I am trying again and it is a new therapist doing the waxing. She suggested the No Bump and oil after shower, but i also bought an "after wax moisturizer". I am hopeing that now with these new products i wont get so many ingrowns.:)
I know she is waxing in direction of hair growth, i think i am like you said, just prone. No, it is not extra bad on pant line, once in a while i'll get an ingrown hair on the underbits, but mostly is the front that is getting the ingrowns. Will continue to do what i am now doing and hope all goes well. :)

Exfoliating and moisturizing are you two most important steps. If you need a little extra help then a chemical exfoliant is good, but try and find one that contains salicylic acid.. .such as PFB Vanish. Also, you only need to exfoliate until the hairs have come through... then just continue with the moisturizing. Then, about 4 days before you go for your next wax, exfoliate every day.. this will kick up any hairs that may be lying under the surface.

Bad technique on the part of the technician can certainly cause ingrowns as well.

Is your hair course and curly? This type of hair is very prone to ingrowns.

Also, waxing on a regular basis... every 4 weeks, helps with keeping ingrowns at a minimum.

Huberella,

When you say the tech may have a bad technique, do you think you could maybe elaborate a bit more on that?

Thanks,

aj

Bad technique would be someone that removes the strip too slowly, or doesn't pull the skin tight enough, or pulls the strip upward instead of parallel with the skin.

Exfoliating and moisturizing are you two most important steps. If you need a little extra help then a chemical exfoliant is good, but try and find one that contains salicylic acid.. .such as PFB Vanish. Also, you only need to exfoliate until the hairs have come through... then just continue with the moisturizing. Then, about 4 days before you go for your next wax, exfoliate every day.. this will kick up any hairs that may be lying under the surface.

quote]

I am SO prone to ingrowns yet i am straight down there, and not too corse at all, not very hairy, you can see the skin below the hair when looking at the front, and i know with most women you cant, so poor me! i dont have curly course hair, yet i am still ingrown prone!lol:lol:

I saw in the thread that you psted saying chemical exfoliation is an option? well, i have an at home micro-dermabrasion by loreal, can i use it for my brazillian?
I also have a glycolic peel, can i use that?

I've used Decleor's Phytopeel and an Aveda Exfoliant (still can't remember the name!) in the past, but PFB Vanish is good like huberella says. And better still it is designed for use down there, so you can't go far wrong :green:

quote]

I am SO prone to ingrowns yet i am straight down there, and not too corse at all, not very hairy, you can see the skin below the hair when looking at the front, and i know with most women you cant, so poor me! i dont have curly course hair, yet i am still ingrown prone!lol:lol:

Some people are just more prone than others (despite type of hair).

Do they sell these chemical exfoliants in Boots or similar or are they professional products please?

Do they sell these chemical exfoliants in Boots or similar or are they professional products please?

Hi hun :green:

There are two types of exfoliant:

Mechanical - are products that slough off dead skin when you massage them into your face due to the fact they contain things like microbeads/sugar or salt crystals/almond shells/pumice. You could also class an abrasive face cloth as a mechanical exfoliant.

Chemical - are products that use chemicals to do the same job as above, so no need for rubbing/massaging. Chemical peels (as in the ones applied by a dermatologist) fall under this category. Products containing ingredients such as salicylic acid, glycolic acid, malic acid, citric acid, or fruit enzymes will chemically exfoliate your skin.

Both are widely available as over-the-counter treatments.

I sometimes make my own from lemon (covers the citric acid) and pineapple (bromelain covers the fruit enzyme), which I find really effective.

hth

Hi Geeks

Just wondering what is the best way to prevent ingrown hairs regarding a brizillian wax. I am so prone to ingrown hairs, get them pretty much everywhere i have hair, including eyebrows!:irked: Right now for my brazillian, i exfolliate about 2-3 times per week and i am applying Gigi's No Bumps (seems to be an alchohol solution) And after showers/baths i apply the blue oil (cant remember the name! lol)
So i am wondering if any of you skin geeks could give me some advice, or let me know if i am on the right track.

Thanks in advance my dear geeks :)
I'm very prone to ingrown hairs too. Even when I shave my legs they completely get covered in ingrown hairs, at least when you wax it's not as often:lol: .

I agree that exfolliating & moisturizing are the best things to do. You may be someone that will never be ingrown hair free, but you can minimise it.

Mechanical exfolliation doesn't seem to be working for you, so try chemical exfolliation. I usually use a moisturiser with BHA's in it. If it's particularly bad I do a professional peel on it.

I've used Decleor's Phytopeel and an Aveda Exfoliant (still can't remember the name!) in the past, but PFB Vanish is good like huberella says. And better still it is designed for use down there, so you can't go far wrong :green:

I have never heard of PFB Vanish...maybe it is not here in canada? Is the brand name PFB? Can i buy it online?

I have never heard of PFB Vanish...maybe it is not here in canada? Is the brand name PFB? Can i buy it online?

Yes, it is available in Canada. I'll see if I can find out what distributor we use. I think Portz may carry it. And I think Kindom Beauty supply carries it as well.

Thanks Huberella, just wanted to make sure I wasn't applying bad techniques:hug:
aj

Yes, it is available in Canada. I'll see if I can find out what distributor we use. I think Portz may carry it. And I think Kindom Beauty supply carries it as well.

Thanks so much, i am calling beauty supply stores right now!:)

Latest posts

Back