The cheapest place for images?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau-ty

Reaction score
Hello geekers,
I have tried to search the threads for this - im trying to get out of the dinosaur age after resisting as long as possible (mainly because I'm not very techo )and join face book and create a website .
I queried on here the other day about facebook pictures like for instance photos saying Happy New Year. I think these look really good and realised you have to get off the internet.
I have googled royalty free images and from what I can make out they are not free - some of the sites tell you very litte and others when ive clicked on subscriptions they are hundreds of pounds.
Can anyone enlighten or tell me the best site to use? I don't mind paying but im looking at as little as possible . Thanks

Bigstock do a free trial

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Google images

Thanks looked on Bigstock but couldn't see anywhere for prices after that `- and google images you can't just use ?? thats what i don't want to be caught out by a few moths down the line x

Google images

You will find that most of the images that appear on google images are generally owned by other websites/companies and when you click on these images amessage will come up to tell you that it may be subject to copyright. So it's best not to use any of these images.

I opened an account with dreamtime and I just buy a block of credit and download images as I need them to use on my website and on my Facebook page etc. Some of the more popular images can be a little bit more expensive but generally you can find a good range of good quality images at a reasonable cost and you are safe in the knowledge that no one is going to claim that you have used their image without their permission.

I had one waxing company who repeatedly lifted stuff from my website and social media pages (without giving me any acknowledgement )and they ignored all of my emails asking them to stop so in the end when I reported them to Facebook and I was able to prove intellectual copyright Facebook remove their page. So it's really not worth it in the end...
Also if it's your website or your branding then the investment is worth it as it gives a nice professional image to your business.

Jack

You will find that most of the images that appear on google images are generally owned by other websites/companies and when you click on these images amessage will come up to tell you that it may be subject to copyright. So it's best not to use any of these images.

I opened an account with dreamtime and I just buy a block of credit and download images as I need them to use on my website and on my Facebook page etc. Some of the more popular images can be a little bit more expensive but generally you can find a good range of good quality images at a reasonable cost and you are safe in the knowledge that no one is going to claim that you have used their image without their permission.

I had one waxing company who repeatedly lifted stuff from my website and social media pages (without giving me any acknowledgement )and they ignored all of my emails asking them to stop so in the end when I reported them to Facebook and I was able to prove intellectual copyright Facebook remove their page. So it's really not worth it in the end...
Also if it's your website or your branding then the investment is worth it as it gives a nice professional image to your business.

Jack

Thanks a lot Jack I will take a look at that site i definitely want to go about it the correct way x

Ive used dreamstime too, theyre very reasonable and you can search for images by price (1-5 units, 5 being the most expensive)

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

As Jack said absolutely do NOT use Google images.

99.9% of the images you'll see on there will be illegal to use, and the companies that own them (Getty Images being the largest in the world) use very sophisticated software to track websites (and Facebook) for illegal use of images/photos. Like Jack, I've had people illegally use my designs too, and I don't hesitate about sending C+D letters out. It's my livelihood and my clients brands that I need to protect.

Just Google "the getty letter" and you'll never be tempted to do that.

The real cost of being sued by Getty | Copyright Action

To be honest, for something so seemingly simple, its a mine-field. Simply because the stock photo industry is worth millions of dollars.

The rule you should stick to (to never be in a position where you'll be sued for hundreds/thousands of pounds) is that you can only use images that have been designed for you, or that you've purchased directly.

In either case, ask the designer if he or she has sourced legal images (you'll be surprised how many of them use illegal images, including large high-street chains- but that's another story), and you MUST keep any receipts for the photos you've bought.

To answer your question more specifically, it depends what you mean by "images", do you mean graphics or photos? And do you mean for print? or for the web?

The first thing I do when people ask me the best place for photos is refer them to their suppliers. Many suppliers will be happy to share images with you. It's a win-win for them in that the more professional you look, the more product you'll flog.

Many of the "Happy New Year" images for Facebook you've seen are created by designers like me. I spend a lot of time on Facebook these days and I've seen lots and lots of badly pixelated, rough covers that are just taken from "free" sites and are pretty unprofessional. Most of my clients have people like me design them with their logo/branding on to make them more personal.

If your suppliers can't help you, and you're looking for photos then the places mentioned above are where you should go. However, two things to bear in mind with using them too.

1. Make sure the resolution is correct. If you're buying for the web you need 72dpi images, if you're buying for print buy 300dpi images. If you're budget allows, always get the 300dpi version, as you'll be able to use it for both print and web!

2. Check the terms and conditions of the photo. Many, many people don't do this. Most people assume once you've bought an image you can use it for whatever you like, as many times as you like, and that is not the case at all. Many stock photo places have different terms and conditions and you must check these before purchase to make sure you're ok. For example Shutterstock will let you purchase images on a "standard" license, but you'll find that you can't use many of those images for business use and you should have bought the (much more expensive) "enhanced" licensed.

All very dull I know.

But, it's important as sueing people for use of illegal images is a fantastic source of revenue for these multi-national corporations, and you'd be silly not to take it seriously.

p.s. Don't think that it'd make a difference to them if you're a huge company or a one-man band...they'll find you and sue!

Last edited:
NEVER use Google Images - unless you want to be sued by Getty or Corbis Images for several hundred (if not thousands) of pounds! There's an Israeli company called PicScout which trawls the Web looking for websites with images on used without permission, which makes a commission for every image that they find that Getty, Corbis, et al, then end up getting money for when they sue the owner of the website with the offending image(s) on. It's not worth the risk!

Thank you all for your advice x

I use Shutterstock if it helps at all.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

The cheapest way is to use your own images, obviously not everyone is able to take professional looking photos so then the next best thing is to use images from your supplier or buy them from one of the many sites suggested.

Google images

No no. You could find yourself in more trouble than its worth.

Latest posts

Back