The unconscious incompetent

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urbanspa

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a member or staff or colleague who cannot see that after 20+ complaints about them in less than 4 months that their abilities are in question? I have offered training to help improve skills but they have refused.

This stylist actually has herself on a pedestal which I find hard to get her to see the clients point of view or mine that I am worried about my business' reputation being damaged. She ruined one clients hair that we had to refund as the client wouldn't allow the stylist to touch her hair again.

When I asked for a reason why these clients are all together saying the same things about you, she replied with they are all wrong.

Aside from the work this stylist is such a lovely colleague and very generous. I just don't get or how to handle the attitude.

I believe that there are areas she is incompetent at that she isn't aware of because of her attitude. What ca I do??? Xx

If she is an employee and you are the business owner/boss then you need to deal with it in a business like way.
I think if the complaints about her work are that bad you really should start going down the official route of written warnings etc leading to dismissal if she still doesn't accept she needs retraining.
If I were you I would contact ACAS for advice on the correct procedures.

Clients talk, and this girl will be getting your whole Salon a bad name not just her therefore you cannot afford to do nothing about this situation.

It's always uncomfortable having to manage poor performance from an employee you like.

However, you may be partly at fault here. Are you giving her mixed messages by being her buddy rather than her boss? If so, it's time to get serious!

As Izzidoll has already advised, you have to formalise the process quickly. Make it clear she has to improve by X date, otherwise you will have to let her go. Tell her in no uncertain terms, it's her or the business and you're not willing to lose your business because of her poor attitude.

She has to acknowledge her faults and commit to improving. Be clear, there is no room for negotiation on this.

You will need to have a 1:1 meeting where you set out exactly what areas she needs to improve and how you intend to measure this. You need to follow it with a written document confirming the arrangement. Contact your trade association or ACAS for some guidelines.

If you have other staff, they also need to see you taking control of the situation. If not, their work will start to suffer and ultimately, you will lose your business.

I've had to deal with poor performance/attitude issues in the past and you do need to develop a thick skin. Good luck!

Thank you both for your replies. I tried replying back but my iPad crashed when I was wanting to hit the submit button.

I've liaised with ACAS and they told me to do the correct protocol and we are doing that now. It's been a sensitive way to handle our issues with her as the day we planned on telling her and going down the written warning route she told us she was pregnant. We have offered further training but she said not before the baby arrives which is January and she goes on maternity end of November.

I'm not buddy buddy with her at all but I've sat on it too long. We had a final discussion last week to tackle this before taking it down the formal written warning route. She says she's the top of her game and that which I find quite laughable that she is a better stylist than a previous member of staff who was so popular in our salon.

Thanks again for your replies, I know it's something I should express that my business will not carry someone who is wrecking my reputation and isnt willing to work with us on rectifying the situation. Xxx

I agree with everything that has been said previously and i realise its a sensitive situation but it does sound to me that she i calling the shots somewhat. I think she sounds arrogant and if her skills are that bad then if she worked for herself she would be going hungry/bankrupt but because she is employed by you she is getting paid no matter how bad she is and she could do serious harm to your business. You have to tread carefully but dont let her pregnancy muddy the waters. Good luck! x

Does anyone else have a member or staff or colleague who cannot see that after 20+ complaints about them in less than 4 months that their abilities are in question? I have offered training to help improve skills but they have refused.

This stylist actually has herself on a pedestal which I find hard to get her to see the clients point of view or mine that I am worried about my business' reputation being damaged. She ruined one clients hair that we had to refund as the client wouldn't allow the stylist to touch her hair again.

When I asked for a reason why these clients are all together saying the same things about you, she replied with they are all wrong.

Aside from the work this stylist is such a lovely colleague and very generous. I just don't get or how to handle the attitude.

I believe that there are areas she is incompetent at that she isn't aware of because of her attitude. What ca I do??? Xx

Get shut. She will affect your business!

Hang on a sec she is still calling the shots here and your still letting her get away with it!

When you are both next in you need to sit down and explain that her contract is being updated to include training when required, so if that means she is booked on a course next week then she has to do it! There is nothing sensitive about her being pregnant and why didnt she tell you sooner? It now needs to be a case with her that she either puts up and shuts up if she wants her job or she knows where the door is. You could give her another warning for failing to comply with the first! Also as and when she does the training make sure she either works it back or has to pay it back if she leaves before a certain time. Time to get tough and show you mean business

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Was she on a probation period? Should have been then you could have got rid.

Pregnancy is not a sensitive issue. Isn't training apart of your contracts anyway

Latest posts

Back