The well debated Patch Test for Eyelash Extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyespy

Reaction score
So i have been doing my research when it comes to the patch test as I was told to patch test on the inner elbow 15 mins before the appointment starts! Which sounds completely ridiculous as the glue isnt meant to touch the skin!!! and 15 mins?!?!

So I havnt patch tested and thanksfully have never had a reaction for a client, but have no started to test.

So I looked at all the threads lots of people dont test, some people do sometimes and other do all the time.

The problem i have found is that some people come from a distance to have their lashes done and it is very difficult for them to come for a 5 min consultation and a test. So I checked my insurance to see what they said and here it goes... My insurance is INVALID if I dont do a patch test at least 24 hours in advance.

So theres your answer. If you are trained to test or not - check your insurance! I have however emailed them to ask if I could draw up a waiver form which basically stops people claiming if they decide that they dont want a patch test - which some of my clients have asked for.

So theres your answer. If you are trained to test or not - check your insurance! I have however emailed them to ask if I could draw up a waiver form which basically stops people claiming if they decide that they dont want a patch test - which some of my clients have asked for.

I used to get my clients to sign a waiver but after checking with my insurance company, they told me this isn't worth the paper it's written on.

My insurance requires me to patch test all clients - no exceptions.

If clients feel it's an inconvenience to come for a 10 minute patch test I don't book them. I explain it's in their own interests and most accept this.

Yeah thats excatly the conversation I have had. Although in regards to the waiver if you put in print at the bottom that any reaction is at the risk of the client if they dont accept a patch test then the insurance wouldnt pay out anyway.That piece of paper should serve as a waiver as the insurance would not be valid for that particular client as they took the risk. (This is what a legal buff I know has told me).

what you can do is get them to come for a consultation have a good talk and decide the look they want and what lashes you are going to use then start to test by putting primer, couple of lashes, sealant at the outer corners of each eye and on a couple of other lashes just put a bit of remover on so you have tested everything you are going to use then you can charge for this consultation and then if they book in for the lashes doing say within a month knock the consultation fee off the set of lashes that is what I do.

Yes that is what I do do. Its more for those people who, for instance, are coming to visit friends and decide to get lashes at the same time (but live 200 miles away and cant come in for a patch test beforehand) or those that ring you up that day in the hope they can have their lashes done last minute.

I was doing a patch test the other day on a doctor and she told me that most people dont have a reaction to things they are allergic to on the first contact but the second contact!

Must go check my insurance now.

Annie xx

Yes I have heard this which is funny as my client who I have had for near a year is starting to get irritable eyes for 2 days after application. We are trying to figure out if it is her hayfever playing up because she has lashes on or a reaction - coming into winter now so time will tell!

Yes I have heard this which is funny as my client who I have had for near a year is starting to get irritable eyes for 2 days after application. We are trying to figure out if it is her hayfever playing up because she has lashes on or a reaction - coming into winter now so time will tell!

I also use the calgel system and after about a year I became allergic to it! (dont think that is proper English) You can beome allergic to anything at anytime, scary (hope its never chocolate)

Annie xx

my father became allergic to choc in his 40's - sorry girls it could happen! But there's always wine!

for cluster or strip lashes, perming or tinting we were taught to apply a tiny amount of product as a patch test in the crease of elbow or behind ear. for EE we were taught to aplly a couple of lashes to each eye at corners. my insurance told me that a patch test must be done in all cases, as there are more payouts for EE than anything else. if i didnt patch test my insurance would be made void!

Anyone can become allergic to anything at anytime and that is why we patch test. It is also very important to talk to your clients when they come back for follow up treatments to check for new medications or illnesses etc. Ask them how they have got on with the treatment and if there were any problems at all. If they have a gap in treatments of a year or more or if they have changed meds or had a baby in between I patch test again.

It is not just a matter of insurance and making sure we won't be sued. I don't want any of my clients to experience anything less than professional or enjoyable at my hands, (except Hollywoods of course).

As for them being 200 miles away then I am afraid if they can't have the patch test they simply can't have the treatment.

I was told today by one of my clients that her daughter has just gone to Turkey on holiday with a friend who had her lashes done in town. No patch test at all and woke the next morning unable to open her eyes. She was taken to A&E by her mum and the hospital removed the lashes by cutting them off. Her eyes were full of puss where they had blistered so much and the blisters had then burst. The only way the hospital would deal with it was to cut all the eyelashes off including her own and give her antibiotic cream and oral antibiotics to take whilst away on holiday. Some of her own eyelashes had to be plucked out where the glue was stuck to the eyelid as well.

Yuk! :sad:

Anyone can become allergic to anything at anytime and that is why we patch test. It is also very important to talk to your clients when they come back for follow up treatments to check for new medications or illnesses etc. Ask them how they have got on with the treatment and if there were any problems at all. If they have a gap in treatments of a year or more or if they have changed meds or had a baby in between I patch test again.

It is not just a matter of insurance and making sure we won't be sued. I don't want any of my clients to experience anything less than professional or enjoyable at my hands, (except Hollywoods of course).

As for them being 200 miles away then I am afraid if they can't have the patch test they simply can't have the treatment.

I was told today by one of my clients that her daughter has just gone to Turkey on holiday with a friend who had her lashes done in town. No patch test at all and woke the next morning unable to open her eyes. She was taken to A&E by her mum and the hospital removed the lashes by cutting them off. Her eyes were full of puss where they had blistered so much and the blisters had then burst. The only way the hospital would deal with it was to cut all the eyelashes off including her own and give her antibiotic cream and oral antibiotics to take whilst away on holiday. Some of her own eyelashes had to be plucked out where the glue was stuck to the eyelid as well.

oh my word, how very nasty for the poor young girl- just highlights the reasons why we MUST patch test!

How awful, poor girl, that must be really scary, you would be afraid for your sight as well.

Annie xx

Imagine being 19, going on holiday and having no eyelashes with crusty eyes! Poor little thing! :sad:

This happened to me. I wore lashes from may to January then for no apparent reason they started to get swollen, irritable even crusty for 2 days after application and I must have rubbed in my sleep as I seemed to lose lots. I end up having them removed and tried again 2 months later, different glue but same issue. Is it possible to develop an allergy after so long? Truly quite gutted as I loved them.
X

There is no other response here from us other than - if u don't patch test ur a fool - insurance or not - as a therapist you should always remember ur duty of care to ur clients!! Patch testing avoids terrible situations such as the poor girl above.

In saying that a lash client or any client for that matter can overnight suddenly become sensitized to any product. The body may tolerate the product for years and then one day - BAM!! Allergic reaction that will be there forever- it's the persons body saying it's had enuf.

There is no other response here from us other than - if u don't patch test ur a fool - insurance or not - as a therapist you should always remember ur duty of care to ur clients!! Patch testing avoids terrible situations such as the poor girl above.

In saying that a lash client or any client for that matter can overnight suddenly become sensitized to any product. The body may tolerate the product for years and then one day - BAM!! Allergic reaction that will be there forever- it's the persons body saying it's had enuf.

I do wonder how training academys can hold a license for training and insurance if they dont teach their students to patch test? I think the debate is more to do with the training then the beautician initally. I mean you pay a lot of money to learn how to do a good job of the lashes but the duty of care to you and your client should be taught properly from the academy. How are people meant to know. (If your driving instructor didnt teach you to use your mirrors then you wouldnt pass your test!)

I see so many people say there were not told to patch test when training. Like I said my training academy said to put the glue on the skin although the glues you will buy will state 'not to come into contact with skin!'

I do attach two lashes to the outer corners and test all my products but only because I did a lot of research before I started out...without doing so I would have done exactly what I was trained to do - which is my opinion is wrong.

God thats terrible!!

I did my training last week with Nouveau and we were specifically told no patch test as the glue doesnt tough the skin.
If they have sensitive eyes to maybe try a couple of lashes!!

Am so worried now! why are they teaching this it doesnt make any sense??

Its obvious that you do need to patch test after what happened to that poor girl!

God thats terrible!!

I did my training last week with Nouveau and we were specifically told no patch test as the glue doesnt tough the skin.
If they have sensitive eyes to maybe try a couple of lashes!!

Am so worried now! why are they teaching this it doesnt make any sense??

Its obvious that you do need to patch test after what happened to that poor girl!

This is exactly my point - trainers not training. But your insurance will tell you that you have to patch test!

Latest posts

Back