There has to be a way to make these nails work?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since when did exclamation marks mean "yelling"???? An unnecessarily harsh comment to a relative newbie.

I wonder whether Gelish Foundation Gel would help the OP.

The extra ! can seem like exasperation and a bit rude ,

If you use Gelish foundation then you would also need to be using the Gelish color and top coat thats changing systems if you don't offer Gelish ,
the Gelish structure gel is stronger , the foundation is just a base coat.
you would also need to lightly buff the surface of the nail before the Gelish application this would ofcorse lead to farther thinning .

some tips Ive found for working with Shellac i know your using gelcure but you might be able to apply the ideas on people with not so fabulous nails .

1)dry prep , thats right no cuticle remover! push back and then nip any swinging bits, (if major cuticle then do full PrEP with cuticle away )

2) keep them short and neet!
some people just are not ment to have the long natural nails they want ,
thats OK , short perfectly manicured natural nails is very much the IN thing right now!

3) dehydrate , dehydrate then dehydrate some more!
scrub fresh might be expensive but its wonderfully ! dont saturate the nail in it dampen and scrub!
then nail fresh ! for deeper dehydration
and then scrubfresh again the pathogen fighting layer is not included in the nail fresh .
then DONT let client touch face phone hair or anything , this is even harder with friends and familly we tend to talk and be more at easy they sit quietly like the clients do ....
and you only have a 30 min window with the scrubfresh .

4) thin could of base cure the right amount of time not forgetting to seal free edge.

5) thin color this should look streaky with most colors its OK enjoy the crazy look in your clients eyes ,

6) 2nd thin color this fills the streaky first layer , i class the first layer as a guide color .
seal free edge as always .

7) top coat

solar oil and your client HAS TO HAVE IT TO!

other things you could try .... a layer of fiberglass mesh , not the resins or activators just the self adhesive mesh .

Last edited:
The exclamation point has been used to express 'yelling' since the creation of punctuation.
Exclamation mark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wasn't harsh, I made a polite request.
I assure you, you will know when I'm being harsh.

Oxford Dictionary:

The main use of the exclamation mark is to end sentences that express:

• an exclamation:
Ow! That hurt!
Hello! How are you?

• direct speech that represents something shouted or spoken very loudly:
‘Look up there!’ she yelled.

• something that amuses the writer:
Included on the list of banned items was 'crochet hooks'!

• An exclamation mark can also be used in brackets after a statement to show that the writer finds it funny or ironic:
She says she’s stopped feeling insecure (!) since she met him.

I think we can safety assume the OP was expressing irony. She certainly wasn't yelling at you.

I think we can safety assume the OP was expressing irony. She certainly wasn't yelling at you.

Agree. I think this is what people mean about reading tone in a post. It's hugely unfair on someone whose sole purpose was to gain some advice, nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Polite notice girls. Can we calm this down a bit please and keep to the question the OP asked.

Too many threads are being turned into something uncomfortable to read recently and more and more are being closed because of this.

I don't want to see another one closed so can we play nice please?

To the OP. I am 55 and my nails are thin and bendy, have ridges and peel a little. They are difficult to keep product on but I manage to keep the new Gel Polishes on without any problems. You will need to be extra careful when capping the free edge of each nail as any peeling will make the product lift away from here. What I also find helpful is using a second coat of top coat. This gives just a little more strength and helps my nails stay fabulous for the full 2 weeks. When I used Gelish the Structure gel did the same job for me but once I discovered, from another geek, that a second top coat would work, I was converted. :wink2:

Then why couldn't you assume that my polite request, that which you seemed to feel was harsh, was meant with the best of intent. That's if we are to be in the habit of assuming?
I said please, and I said thank you.
IF I were intending to be harsh, I wouldn't have said either and I likely would have used capitals and exclamation points.
Considering I posted several replies in an attempt to be helpful, with humour as well, and that my request was made well at the end of things and politely; one might assume that I had good will towards the poster.

But no, everyone is quick to assume the worst.
And some appear to be bent on looking for an argument where there is none.

Perhaps if less folks were so quick to look for the worst, there would be less arguments.

Polite notice girls. Can we calm this down a bit please and keep to the question the OP asked.

Too many threads are being turned into something uncomfortable to read recently and more and more are being closed because of this.

I don't want to see another one closed so can we play nice please?

OOPS sorry!
Posted at the same time
:o

What I also find helpful is using a second coat of top coat. This gives just a little more strength and helps my nails stay fabulous for the full 2 weeks. When I used Gelish the Structure gel did the same job for me but once I discovered, from another geek, that a second top coat would work, I was converted. :wink2:

This is a great tip, I've not heard it before. I will try it with both Gelish and Gelicure. Thanks for the tip.

Thank you girls :wink2:

I understand your humour:wink2:

Good stuff...I think the use of the smilies can diffuse potential misunderstandings and I understood your reply perfectly because of this :biggrin:. We can't have eye contact or see body language so if we use these little critters it should all be good :cool:

Thanks to Super Mod for keeping it all friendly :biggrin:

Wow scared newbie now.... Never knew an exlamation mark was regarded as shouting I thought it was capital letters!.... Damn just put one?? I thought it was to emphasis a comment or point?
I would like to defend myself though and say I was not shouting or being rude to anyone in any of my posts, just a school girl salon geek forum error.
My apologies if I offends anyone was soooooooo. Of my intention 😳

Wow scared newbie now.... Never knew an exlamation mark was regarded as shouting I thought it was capital letters!.... Damn just put one?? I thought it was to emphasis a comment or point?
I would like to defend myself though and say I was not shouting or being rude to anyone in any of my posts, just a school girl salon geek forum error.
My apologies if I offends anyone was soooooooo. Of my intention ��

Thank you very much :hug:
I didn't think that you 'intended' offense, it just came across that way which is why I didn't yell at you and only made a request.
Keep in mind, some of us are of an older generation where when we went to school, grammar and punctuation were drummed into our heads. Meaning that we might read something different than intended by the OP.

You don't need to run scared. No one's yelling at you. Feel free to ask questions anytime:wink2:

I am really pleased that this thread has now come back on track with everyone understanding eachother. It is so easy for things to get out of hand and this proves that things can be patched up with a gentle nudge.

I want to thank everyone involved for making the effort, I know it's not easy sometimes.

You have made me a happy mod! :wink2:

Quick question?...... A few have mentioned I use solar oil, is this better than other cuticle oils? I currently use Nubars sweet almond oil but am running low, should I be investing in solar oil instead?

Quick question?...... A few have mentioned I use solar oil, is this better than other cuticle oils? I currently use Nubars sweet almond oil but am running low, should I be investing in solar oil instead?

I'm sure there are Geeks out there that use other oils. Personally, I use Solar Oil for everything. My nails, my skin, my hair (fly-aways). It's just a little miracle bottle. :)

Skin? Hair? How and why pls educate me on this miracle oil I feel I'm missing out :)

Skin? Hair? How and why pls educate me on this miracle oil I feel I'm missing out :)

Solar Oil is a blend of light oils, including jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, and vitamin E. ALL great for nails, skin and hair! No, I wouldn't saturate your hair in it, but, it's great for the little dry ends we may sometimes get from over styling. The oils allow the vitamin E to penetrate deep into the skin. As I'm sure you've learned during your training, vitamin E is an antioxidant that protects and helps repair your skin from everything we do to it. Haha.

People have used it on squeeky nippers or rubber appliance parts to keep the rubber from getting dry and rotting! I'm tellin' ya. Miracle bottle.

Here's a little snippet I just found:

Antioxidants neutralize free radicals and prevent cellular damage from occurring. Vitamin E is one of the most powerful antioxidants, but your body can't produce it, which means you have to make sure you're getting enough of this valuable nutrient in your diet. Eating foods high in vitamin E and taking vitamin E supplements if you can't get enough through your food intake can can help prevent premature aging of your skin and damage to your DNA. Studies show that taking vitamin E long term can even reduce sunburns from exposure to UVB radiation. This doesn't mean that taking vitamins or applying topical vitamin E will allow you to safely bake in the sun, but you can help your skin stay healthier and more supple by ensuring you get enough of this antioxidant vitamin.

Last edited:
I'm getting me some of this bad boy!!!! :)
Thank u

I use SolarOil on my scars, it's slowly making them disappear :)
Rhiannon x

I use a similar blend on my face.
I suffer Acne-Rosacea, so most things either A) aggravate the Rosacea or B) trigger breakouts.

My oil does neither and my face has never been better with less Rosacea itchy/red flareups.

You'll love Solar oil!

Which brand of solar oil should I get and where is cheapest to but it please?

Latest posts

Back