Things that annoy you in the hairdressing industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's thruppence for applying the colour, the other eighty quid is for knowing which is the rightcolour!:twisted:

I agree.

A girl I used to work with used to say "You are paying for the hair that is left on your head, not for the hair that is cut off"

(i.e. even if you only have a tiny bit cut off, you are still paying for the stylists skill)

I agree.

A girl I used to work with used to say "You are paying for the hair that is left on your head, not for the hair that is cut off"

(i.e. even if you only have a tiny bit cut off, you are still paying for the stylists skill)

Oh this drives me insane
Only a trim
Yea but I need to take the same sections weither I cut 2,3 4"

Oh this really really irritates me

clients who when ur doing foils they play with the hair left in between!! not my fault when the foils bleed right in the front!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Trying to do foils and there heads in a book/mag or txting or on the phone. "Can you lift your head up please" "or yeah sorry" and before you no it their heads back down again lol xx

great thread ppl!!

i find gents the worst!

* do a great cut then they ask for more off the back so it dosent touch their collar......um hello you have a towel cape and cutting collar on!!!

* old farmers coming in asking for grade 1 on sides ...eeeeeeek!

*men who have thinnning hair on top paniking if you take a little off "dont cut the top!" erm "sir i have to match it into the sides to make an even cut"

*men who have 10 billion hairdressers and "friends" cut there hair and your left combing through trying so see reminants of a style.

great thread ppl!!

i find gents the worst!

* do a great cut then they ask for more off the back so it dosent touch their collar......um hello you have a towel cape and cutting collar on!!!

* old farmers coming in asking for grade 1 on sides ...eeeeeeek!

*men who have thinnning hair on top paniking if you take a little off "dont cut the top!" erm "sir i have to match it into the sides to make an even cut"

*men who have 10 billion hairdressers and "friends" cut there hair and your left combing through trying so see reminants of a style.

And the amount of men who say "oh an inch off all over" you do that finish 30 mins later and they say " oh actually last time it was a number two on the sides with a skin blend and then scissor cut on top, I wanted it like that"

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

All of these are fab responses! I don't think I can even add lol! Xx

And the amount of men who say "oh an inch off all over" you do that finish 30 mins later and they say " oh actually last time it was a number two on the sides with a skin blend and then scissor cut on top, I wanted it like that"

Yesss!

When you're doing a full/half head of highlights and you're being polite and talking to your client but their head is moving all over the place! I mean it takes twice as long coz their head is bobbing up and down or moving around lol , funny now but annoying at the time

Sabina <3

Brilliant thread!! I can relate to every single one of these. I hate clients who ask me if i went into hairdressing because I didn't do very well at school. I've been asked this by a few different clients, I wonder what makes them think training and working in this trade successfully is so easy?! I went into hairdressing because, after passing all my exams (thankyou very much!!!) I chose to!!! Lol! Such cheek! Also the ones who ask me if I'm pregnant when I've put on weight and have a slight belly. Makes me feel great thanks!! Haha

Last edited:
I went into hairdressing because, after passing all my exams (thankyou very much!!!) I chose to!!! Lol! Such cheek! Also the ones who ask me if I'm pregnant when I've put on weight and have a slight belly. Makes me feel great thanks!! Haha

-Yes the word dye! Ewwwww! Not nice.
-Eye contact when at the basin from the clients head being so far back. Weird!
-Fussy clients that say 'you can do anything', but really they can't be bothered to explain and are fussy.
-Clients that ask you every time they book in how much it will cost when they had exactly the same last time! (Friends especially!)
-When you can wash and dry a tint bowl correctly but no one else can seem to. Like when you get them from the cupboard and they are full of water and you get covered!
-When you go to use the shampoo and it's run out or the towels. So annoying!
-When helping out your boss when in a muddle and a bit behind, you shampoo one of there clients and they ask how long you have left before you qualify...I've only been here self employed for the last 2 and a half years! !!
Lol I could go on.
Quite funny reading these though! :)

-Yes the word dye! Ewwwww! Not nice.
-Eye contact when at the basin from the clients head being so far back. Weird!
-Fussy clients that say 'you can do anything', but really they can't be bothered to explain and are fussy.
-Clients that ask you every time they book in how much it will cost when they had exactly the same last time! (Friends especially!)
-When you can wash and dry a tint bowl correctly but no one else can seem to. Like when you get them from the cupboard and they are full of water and you get covered!
-When you go to use the shampoo and it's run out or the towels. So annoying!
-When helping out your boss when in a muddle and a bit behind, you shampoo one of there clients and they ask how long you have left before you qualify...I've only been here self employed for the last 2 and a half years! !!
Lol I could go on.
Quite funny reading these though! :)

Or when you colour for your boss (I am a tech) and the client leaves a £5 tip and your boss doesn't split it. Im like "so I just spent 2 and a half hours with that client doing a colour correction and working through my "lunch" as it was only booked in for a retouch. I shampooed and gave a wicked massage. I also retailed her a load of products. You do her one of your 30min "redesigns" and keep all the tip? Oh and why are the sulphate shampoo, conditioner, treatment set (that I took off the shelf and placed behind reception after client said she would like them as I have spoken to her about them) going through under your name????
If I get a tip above £1. And someone else has so much as shampooed for me I FREAKING WELL SHARE IT!!!!

"Fussy clients that say 'you can do anything', but really they can't be bothered to explain and are fussy"

OMG I can't believe I forgot that when I had my rant. Aren't they the worst. I hate that when they say just do what u want there not always fussy just have no functioning brain. I feel like just getting the clippers out 0 all over n charging them top dollar as it's a complete restyle. Cause god they don't even throw u a bone! And by god don't let them near a bloody magazine u end up late for one of your best bloody clients while this idiot is debating whether to go for a bob a figgin , mowhalk n basically everything else in the bloody magazine!

Just realised iv posted the same thing twice in my earlier rant. Sorry I was editing typos.

After a full consultation you establish the required length, style etc, section up, cut in back section..,ask if short enough? Sides short enough?? Yes, perfect.,.complete full cut.. Just before blow dry the client days ohhhh I love this picture ( nose in magazine) can I have it like this instead it won't take 2 mins to re do it AGHHHHHHH

Clients that ask "is she any good" when booking an appointment
Clients who think moving their heads about in the basin is helpfull
Clients who lean back so far in the backwash they can make eye contact. It weirds me out.
Clients who come in 20 mins late and ask if you have time to put their hair up after their cut and finish and then look appalled when you charge extra
Clients who lie about trimming their own fringe. Its been 6 months and its shorter and ab inche deeper then when you last cut it
Clients who say "I dont need a skin test ive been colouring my hair for years"
Clients who think it is their place to comment on your appearance ie. Oh have you gained a few pounds or why have you cut your hair, I dont like it"
Clients who say "do what you like" but I want it to look totally different but no layers, keep my length and definitely no fringe..

Cracking up! When they lean back in the basin to speak to you and make eye contact is the most awkwardest thing hahaha!

When clients want the celebrity pictures face not the hairstyle/colour &#128561; xx

When clients want the celebrity pictures face not the hairstyle/colour &#128561; xx

Omg that is to funny so many custome come in and just want ridiculous things like Cheryl Cole hair extension that would nee 8 bags of waves in and this lady has 3 strands of hair. Its a shame we do our best but they do forget we are wielding scissors n nit magic wands. And never leave them with the colour chart god Iv done that and you mix it and then come over to do the colour and they've changed there minds completely and gone from blonde to bright red rem hello iv just wasted 3o mins while you umned n arred now u want me to throw tubes of colour away that have been mixed for your extremely long hair. Thanks just give them a glimse of the chart n toce it out of there hands and under lock n key.

Latest posts

Back