think i've been burnt through a facial?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aphrodites

Reaction score
i have a dermalogica facial once a month and its normally wonderful. This time she used something differnt and said to tell her if it tingled, which it did on my cheeks then got unbearable so i quickly asked for it to be removed which she did after working it in further and also got some on my lip that killed! Anyway the rest of the facial went great and i left happy as usual.

The next evening i felt my face and noticed my cheeks where the stinging was, was really rough and dry and my lips have cracked terrible (very, very painful!)

Have i been "burnt"?

Hi

It sounds like she may have used one of the accelerators. Or maybe even multivitatim exfoliant which can tingle but certainly wouldn't burn.

I think may she mixed one of the accelerators in with it.

You should go back to the therapist and show her your skin. The accelerators are quite powerful.

Hi

It sounds like she may have used one of the accelerators. Or maybe even multivitatim exfoliant which can tingle but certainly wouldn't burn.

I think may she mixed one of the accelerators in with it.

You should go back to the therapist and show her your skin. The accelerators are quite powerful.

I agree with this.

Definetly go back now and show her your reaction.

My friend has regular facials with me and I decided to go up a level with the exfoliant and she described exactly the same reaction as you. I thought she was joking at first as it was literally as soon as I finished applying the MV exfoliant it had barely been on 20secs. Her skin was also sore for a couple of days after.

If you are pregnant or any medication this can also have an impact. I had to stop using most of the range when I was pregnant due to the lactic acid in my normal products.

Last edited:
Dermalogica always say their products are very unlikely to cause reactions! But when I looked into taking it on, my daughter reacted to the products, she could'nt use them in college either, (which I put down to the products being old).

Yes I think you should go back to the therapist and show her your skin, also I think I would take some photgraphs and send them to Dermalogica and see what they have to say about the problem, they have plenty to say about other brands of skincare!

Thank you for the advice. She's now on holiday so I can't show her :-(

Thank you for the advice. She's now on holiday so I can't show her :-(
take a photo.
then go visit another dermologica salon and get it sorted.

Dermalogica always say their products are very unlikely to cause reactions! But when I looked into taking it on, my daughter reacted to the products, she could'nt use them in college either, (which I put down to the products being old).

Oddly enough, when I trained in the products I kept having reactions as well, which is why I've never used them, and to date of all the products I've used it's the only range that has ever caused me to have a skin reaction. When my face reacted they attempted to put some calming mask on, which made me feel like my face was on fire, and it was left tingling & sore for the rest of the day. Once bitten, twice shy as they say - I've never put it on my face since!

A lady who has a salon up the road from me started on Dermalogica & ended up with dermatitis on her hands, which has led her having to taking on another therapist to do the facials (couldn't afford to ditch the products after investment). As a result I've ended up with quite a few clients having Decleor facials with me as they were worried about what it would do to their faces if it did that to her hands.

That said, the majority of people I know have had no problems using Dermalogica, else it wouldn't be used by therapists at all! I suppose that being so widely found in salons the chances of reaction are probably greater?

In any case I'd echo the comments of others, it's best to take a photo, that way even once sorted you can show them what happened, as I'm sure they'll be mortified. It will also be of benefit to you as you should be able to find out what it was that was different, and thereby allow you to avoid that product/ingredient in the futurure.

I would go to my gp after contacting dermalogica for advise so you can tell the gp what was in the product that was used on you.

Interestingly my neighbour's daughter works in a Dermalogica salon and she has the most frightful dermatitis on her fingers. Hmmmm.

Latest posts

Back