Thinking about getting a card machine. Advise please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you join the FSB to get their card machine deal, you also get lifetime free Business Banking with the Co-Op bank. :)

If you join the FSB to get their card machine deal, you also get lifetime free Business Banking with the Co-Op bank. :)

The FSB? Whats that? Sorry if Im being dim! Free banking sounds fab, my free banking will be up in 6 months.

The FSB? Whats that? Sorry if Im being dim! Free banking sounds fab, my free banking will be up in 6 months.

Federation of Small Business - it does have a cost per year so that obviously has to be offset against any savings made on the terminal costs.

I suppose it depends on whether you could benefit from some of the other benefits from being a member.

I would def say get it, I don't charge either...I only pay about 23p I think for each debit card and can't remember the % for credit cards. I pay £17.50 a month for it which I think is reasonable. I bank with Alliance and Leicester, I get free banking and my money from cards payments go into my account within a few days. I use Elavon for my cards. HTH x

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an app on my iphone that allows me to take payment by card whenever, wherever.For anyone doing mobile, or trade fairs etc it is great value compared to the cost of a mobile pdq machine.

I've not seen the app - but I'd be concerned about security - and possible chargebacks. It's a GPRS terminal for me :)

The one I have on my iphone is an app called swipe.I think you can link it to paypal.

Personally, if I am going into a business and want to pay by card I would feel a lot happier about that business using a Chip & Pin machine. I think it looks better and as a customer I'd feel much better about the security of it.

This is why I stopped using my old RBS Worldpay online terminal - and now more clients are happy to pay by card as a result.

Im one of those that never has cash and even though I run a cash business, im a hipocrite and hate it when I go cash only places.

Another problem im thinking of is just having to go and check that all of the transactions have actually gone into your bank. Theres just a few things putting me off and thats one of the issues putting me off. What does everyone do about this? Do you have to check it all over at the end of the month?

I would not be without my card terminal its great! I only charge 35 pence if their treatment is under £10.00 & 50 pence for a credit card as the charges are higher to use these, I think this is only fair, my clients are ok with this and they mostly use debit cards anyway, & yes they do spend more if you have this facility :D

Im one of those that never has cash and even though I run a cash business, im a hipocrite and hate it when I go cash only places.

Yep me too, love it that you have the balls to say it!

I would not be without my card terminal its great! I only charge 35 pence if their treatment is under £10.00 & 50 pence for a credit card as the charges are higher to use these, I think this is only fair, my clients are ok with this and they mostly use debit cards anyway, & yes they do spend more if you have this facility :D

It's amazing this concept of "well it's not MY fault if you want to pay by card"! It really is amazing!

I'd much rather be a £1.50 worse off at the end of the day than risk any bad feeling by penalising customers for not stopping to get cash on the way in.

I'm astounded that there is such an incredibly hard-nosed attitude from some in this group. Every time you give a customer a slightly negative response (including huffing, looking at the ceiling and charging them for their convenience) - you are giving them another reason to shop elsewhere.

I think I'm going to set up a completely professional national industry that doesn't pass the cost of ever spatula onto the customer!

Come on gang! It's easy to incorporate this as an average business cost, and not groan and grunt if the Customer Chooses to pay by card.

Surely you price these costs into your treatments? I do not charge people extra for paying by card and think back and beyond is right. Clients are gonna spend more paying by card, so it is worth the extra costs.

Given how much competition there is out there, then I would expect making payment easier for clients comes under the "customer services" banner.

Given that so much time is spent on here discussing advertising/marketing and discounting, I am astonished that none of you realise that making things as easy and convenient for your existing clients and increasing each clients spend is far more effective and much cheaper than constantly chasing new clients then being demanding with them.

Surely you price these costs into your treatments? I do not charge people extra for paying by card and think back and beyond is right. Clients are gonna spend more paying by card, so it is worth the extra costs.

Given how much competition there is out there, then I would expect making payment easier for clients comes under the "customer services" banner.

Given that so much time is spent on here discussing advertising/marketing and discounting, I am astonished that none of you realise that making things as easy and convenient for your existing clients and increasing each clients spend is far more effective and much cheaper than constantly chasing new clients then being demanding with them.

Im always impressed with your answers persianista. You can tell you've been in this game a long long time and always have excellent advise. I hope one day I have the business know how to pass on to others like you do x

Purely from a customer point of view, if I went to a salon for a treatment and was told I had to pay extra 50p to use my debit card (coz I never carry cash), I would have no objection at that time paying for it because I would be too embarrased to say anything, but I would object with my feet and find another salon. Now if I was choosing between 2 salons and I knew one of them took debit cards but was 50p more expensive, I would pick the one that took cards every time. I just totally object to paying it, it would be much better to put the price on the treatment. Another way to look at it also is if I did book an appointment and I brought cash, say i was getting a spray tan for £20, I would likely go to the bank, get the £20 for my treatment, but what if I was there and I wanted to buy the aftercare pack or an exfoiliating pack for next time, I wouldnt bother because I wouldnt have the cash to pay and would refuse to pay the 50p card fee! lol maybe Im just tight. nix, where abouts in newcastle do you have your salon?

Latest posts

Back