Thinking of gel polish to run along side Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deedee84

Reaction score
Hay guys looking into gel polish for those nails that are strong enough to hold shellac nails that peel and flake what do you use any recomendations???

Thanks

Hello, I am using OPI Gelcolor for those clients that can't wear Shellac. BUT there are hundreds of threads on here with different Gel Polishes so I would do a search and research each product thoroughly to help you make your decision. HTH
Fiona :lol:

I agree. Gelcolor is my second choice for that purpose. No buffing or filing. Comes off in 15 minutes in one big sheet. Very durable and comes in 30 famous OPI colors.

But I must say, if it wasn't for Gelish's acetone resistant top coat I would go with that brand Bc of the wonderful color range. They have neons and everything. Wishing on my little star for them to come out with a top coat that doesn't require filing.

I have a few clients with flakey nails, however I use a coat of Young Nails ManiQ soak off gel ( the one that comes in a pot) under the Shellac and they usually get 2 weeks with no chips etc. If you do a search on it on here you'll find a lot of geeks find it really great. You can also mix the ManiQ gel with normal nail polishes which gives you the chance to create a gel polish with any colour the client wants, and it lasts the same as your gel polishes. I mix it with OPI and it's great.

Getting back to flakey nails with Shellac, you can also try adding an extra coat of top coat which usually helps. I have also tried putting a thin coat of resin over the free edge before applying the Shellac which also works well. These options are all worth trying as its a cheaper option than having to go out and buy a whole new system just for certain clients.

Hope this helps xx

I agree. Gelcolor is my second choice for that purpose. No buffing or filing. Comes off in 15 minutes in one big sheet. Very durable and comes in 30 famous OPI colors.

But I must say, if it wasn't for Gelish's acetone resistant top coat I would go with that brand Bc of the wonderful color range. They have neons and everything. Wishing on my little star for them to come out with a top coat that doesn't require filing.

I have tried both filing the top coat and not and I find it doesn't affect the removal time at all:p

I have been putting a thin layer of soak of gel over the top of shellac for my problem clients xx works well xxx

I have tried both filing the top coat and not and I find it doesn't affect the removal time at all:p

How long does it take u to remove? Bc I tried not buffing and it took FOREVER. I think 30 minutes but I'm not sure.

It takes me 10-15 minutes whether i buff or not! What did you use to remove? Did you soak or use wraps? Did you use heat? I always get my clients to either put their hands in the lamp for heat or even just sit on their hands.

Did you use structure gel? Did you use probond? Both of these can lenghten the removal time...

I have been putting a thin layer of soak of gel over the top of shellac for my problem clients xx works well xxx
Do you mean directly over the top of the shellac colour coats? Instead of Shellac topcoat? Which SOG have you been using? How long is wrap off? Do you need to buff the SOG off first??
Sorry for all the q's:eek:
Thanks xx

It takes me 10-15 minutes whether i buff or not! What did you use to remove? Did you soak or use wraps? Did you use heat? I always get my clients to either put their hands in the lamp for heat or even just sit on their hands.

Did you use structure gel? Did you use probond? Both of these can lenghten the removal time...

I wrapped just like shellac. I used acetone to soak with. I didn't apply it so I'm not sure if structure was used. A client came in with it, and so I soaked as I do shellac and it took me forever.

I wrapped just like shellac. I used acetone to soak with. I didn't apply it so I'm not sure if structure was used. A client came in with it, and so I soaked as I do shellac and it took me forever.

Maybe it wasn't actually Gelish. Structure or not it takes me 10 minutes to soak off without buffing.

Maybe it wasn't actually Gelish. Structure or not it takes me 10 minutes to soak off without buffing.

Really? I wonder y they say to break the seal? I'm going to get me some and try it out. I'm dying for a summer neon :)

I struggled to get gelish off within 15 mins with buffing the top coat :Scared:

Gelish without buffing top also takes me 15 minutes X

10 mins, 15 max for me to remove Gelish, with or without filing top it off, I love Gelish ! on clients ith cold hands I pop their hands in a Heated mitt

10 - 15 mins to soak Gelish off, I've tried buffing and it makes no difference what so ever, I put the hands in Heated mitts and that helps :biggrin: I love Gelish and so do my clients, it lasts forever x

I use gelish and just wanted to say that the gelish top coat does not need filing. All it requires is a very gentle rub over with a spongy abrasive file (a scouring sponge is more abrasive) to remove the shine, non of the top coat is actually filed off.
If its a light colour a gentle buff isn't even required.
Also there is no filing of the nail plate either. Again just a very gentle buff if nail needs it.
Debbie x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

I use gelish and just wanted to say that the gelish top coat does not need filing. All it requires is a very gentle rub over with a spongy abrasive file (a scouring sponge is more abrasive) to remove the shine, non of the top coat is actually filed off.
If its a light colour a gentle buff isn't even required.
Also there is no filing of the nail plate either. Again just a very gentle buff if nail needs it.
Debbie x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Give it a try with absolutely no buffing - it totally works.

I've just brought gelish this wk and when testing and Removing on myself I've buffed and not buffed and didn't make a difference

I didn't buff the last 3 clients I did, just wrapped ,mitts & heated bean bag, put cuticle oil on skin surrounding nail, soaked for 15 mins & it came off just as easily.

Latest posts

Back