Thinking of packing it in and selling all my gear

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel your pain hun. In 2004 when I began I was so excited to take the course and at the time I really thought clients would just fall in my lap. Not so, with no real advertising, just word of mouth I now have only one full time client for gel nails. All the rest are friends family and co workers who want a set once in a while for a special occasion. Luckily I do other services to make up the difference as I'm sure you know nail enhancement equipement and supplies are not cheap. I am definately working at a loss right now(gel nails) but because I enjoy it I am going to stay positive and at least my nails always get to look good!!!
As far as not getting the support you need from hubby Ihear you there as well I had to ask my parents to pay for the course as the cost for the lessons and the start up kit was very expensive and my husband FLIPPED when I told him how much it would cost. He said all your gonna do is free nails for all your friends anyways and loose more money. Although he was right at first(I needed practice right?) now he has changed his tune and realized this is something I am serious about and does support and helps me in my goal to become an esthetician.
Long story short, if you enjoy what you do than keep with it you've already done the hard part-put up the money for all the "stuff" you need to do nail enhancements and to sell it now you would most likely take a huge loss.
If you support your husbands soccer(something important to him) than try to make him realize that the nail tech business is important to you and it may take a few years (or more) to get your feet off the ground.

I wish you all the best!

i haven't read the rest but...are you less important than your hubby? nis his job more important than yours? i think not. We all have had times when we all wnat to throw in the towel...but don't. pick yourself up brush yourself off and have a little think. do you REALLY want to give this up? is there really nobody that can have the kids for a bit? your husband can't be coaching 24hours a day so couldn't he watch them for a hour? couldn't you put a film on and set up your table near them?

there is always a way round it if you really wnat to do it. Nobody ever said starting your own business would be easy. Believe me i have never worked so hard BUT it's worth it and it makes me happy. so stop feeling sorry for yourself and start feeling a little more positive. if you feel negative everything that happens to you will be negative x

Hi Rachel. Sorry to hear that you are having doubts.

My advice is to not wait for any support from your Hubby/family etc, just work out a way to be able to practice or do clients without waiting for their help.

This might sound harsh, but if you wait till someone can help you, it will probably never happen, there is never going to be an easy time, you just have to work around that.

I'm a single mum with 2 kids, and Ive been working for 3 1/2 years with very little help from anyone, I have just worked out ways of getting a couple of hours here or there when I need them. (mind you, mine are at school so I know that's heaps easier). But even at night I do them when Im here by myself with the kids.

Anyway, I hope you can sort this out, because it's not fair if you have to give up your passion, have a talk with the Hubby and explain your needs and see if he can spare some time to sit with the kids while you practice etc.

PM me if you want to perhaps get together and have a chat, I'm only about 20 mins away from ya mate. x
Rachel, this is very good advise and if I were you I would take it, I to have had my ups and downs and have always found that the emotional support of good friends is invaluble espesialy when your have made the decision to stand on your own two feet and that realy is the only way not to be let down, except help when its offered but plan your life as if you are the only one you can count on.

hi racheal

dont give up thats how i felt then out of the blue i got 2 in the same day i dont have much support at the minute coz hubby is serving away
i just put a video on for the kids in the room and make sure they've got snacks and juice and they usually stay away until im finished

dont give up you'll only regret it in the end

angela xx

Now Now girl. c'mon get it together. Work round stuff, get organised, put nails in your daily routine. Do a flyer drop, ask family & friends for help, if you don't ask you don't get. TELL your hubby how u feel. Sort it out girl... You know you can.

I havent been of for a few days (computer on the blink) and I have gotten two PMs and and all your lovely posts. I am overcome by how much support and encouragement and all the lovely kind words that you have all given me.
Thank you so much, I do love the profession i have chosen to be in and I am passionate about it and wanting to succeed. I think that my husbands soccer coaching and my mother in law being overseas ( my beloved babysitter!) has put my ambitions on hold for the last five months and the day that I wrote that thread I was well and truly fed up.
Today I went out in my rumpus room/nail room and opened up my cupboard and got the urge to just get it all out and play and practice. This in the middel of hosting a large family BBQ probably wasnt the right time to start, but school holidays are on from today and I am going to start this week to pull my finger out and just do it. No more moaning or whinging.
Thank you
Love to you all!
xxxxx

I'm sure all of us are really pleased that you are feeling more up about everything love. Been thinking about you over the weekend.

There is always someone (or three) who have been through the same sort of experiences you are facing and come out the other side. We will be happy to lift your spirits whenever you need it so come on and winge if you need to!! :lol:

Thanks Gigi, That means a lot. Makes me wonder why sometimes family are less supportive than my wonderful geek friends (people that I will probably never have the pleasure to meet.)
xxxxx

so glad your feeling better about it now, :hug:

julesx

Is there another Nail Tech in your town who you could maybe get together with occasionally or even just to talk to on the phone. That way you can give each other moral support. I do this with another tech and it is amazing just how good it feels to be able to talk in person to someone who thinks the same way and is as passionate about nails as you are. I havent been able to work now for 4 months due to health reasons and was really getting depressed about it all and just couldnt see an end to it or anthing getting any better. I now go to see another Nail Tech where I live who has had training with the same company as I have and uses the same prodcts as I do. Every couple of weeks we get together and this has really made a difference and has lifted my spirits enough that I am raring to get going again and will do as soon as my health problems are sorted out. I feel that you just need a bit of a boost and another Tech could help you with that and give you some support, why not give it a try.:hug: :hug:

Thanks Gigi, That means a lot. Makes me wonder why sometimes family are less supportive than my wonderful geek friends (people that I will probably never have the pleasure to meet.)
xxxxx

Family often does't understand. I have friends and family that 2yrs ago, were urging me to go back to the office before I had even begun to open my doors in my new town.:eek:
They had no respect for this kind of job, nor what's required. No understanding about what it could mean if I became successfull at it. No appreciation for my hard work.. rolling their eyes when I became excited about some new art I'd done or whatever.

My hubby was just as guilty, in a small way. Although he DID want me at home and DID prefer that I find a way to work from home... he had his doubts. He gave his support all the same, but now and then.... he'd doubt me.
NOW 2yrs later... I have his FULL support. He understands that there's a quiet week here and there sometimes but then I'll get a wopper and not stop all week long. He now sees that building up a clientel takes time. he sees that setting my prices lower than NSS is only asking for trouble. He is now contributing to advertising costs.

Family is realizing it too, when they call and I'm unavailable every night for a week straight. They're cluing in..

It will take time love.. and when you're on top and reached a "good place", you'll have the last laugh.. all the way to the bank.:lol:

xxxxx
family sometimes just appear that way:hug: geeks understand..especially us mums who give and give to our families..often to the point of sacrificing our dreams to them..but you do have control over this..its all about balance in your life and knowing that YOU are just as important as the kids and hubby..dont leave yourself with no time because of everything else you "have to do"...make it a priority a few times a week, to do what YOU want to first, for a couple of hours...also on other days, instead of being on the go all day, schedule in an hour or so between the daily grind. MAKE TIME. dont lose sight of whats important for you..finally, do delegate and DO get the family hooked on takeaway whenever possible!:hug:

family sometimes just appear that way:hug: geeks understand..especially us mums who give and give to our families..often to the point of sacrificing our dreams to them..but you do have control over this..its all about balance in your life and knowing that YOU are just as important as the kids and hubby..dont leave yourself with no time because of everything else you "have to do"...make it a priority a few times a week, to do what YOU want to first, for a couple of hours...also on other days, instead of being on the go all day, schedule in an hour or so between the daily grind. MAKE TIME. dont lose sight of whats important for you..finally, do delegate and DO get the family hooked on takeaway whenever possible!:hug:
The takeaway thing would be great, but I would be the one hooked on it, I just looove junk food!!!
xxxx

Glad you are feeling better !

Do you know why family members tend not to understand ?

Beacuse they hate their job,they can't see the passion you have and they are often jealous that you love your job.

They will get used to it and eventually support you,until then you have us.

Oh and i know money can be an issue for some peeps,but if possible why not get a little more training to keep your passion for nails alive and also build your confidence xxxxxx

Just wanted to say thanks to you all, I appreciate the time you took to give me advice.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:green: :hug: :green:

Latest posts

Back