Thinking of packing it in and selling all my gear

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel Mary

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.
I am really thinking of packing it in at the moment. I dont have a client,not one. But then I havent advertised, havent been doing my own at the moment. I was getting so good and getting so many compliments on the nails I had done for friends. And then my husbands soccer coaching started and I have not had any support to look after the three kids while i practice or do a set. I have so much product and an Efile and an airbrushing compressor and paints , Brushes everything and it is all just sitting there looking at me.
Feeling sorry for myself today I think! But I really need to make a decision or get rid of it all.
Has anybody picked themselves up and gotten themselves back in the swing of things?
Cheers:cry:

Hi Everyone.
I am really thinking of packing it in at the moment. I dont have a client,not one. But then I havent advertised, havent been doing my own at the moment. I was getting so good and getting so many compliments on the nails I had done for friends. And then my husbands soccer coaching started and I have not had any support to look after the three kids while i practice or do a set. I have so much product and an Efile and an airbrushing compressor and paints , Brushes everything and it is all just sitting there looking at me.
Feeling sorry for myself today I think! But I really need to make a decision or get rid of it all.
Has anybody picked themselves up and gotten themselves back in the swing of things?
Oh Rachel,
Dont get so down,things will be okay.We all get like that at times.What about you practicing when the kids are at school or in bed.

How about getting car magnets like I have just done to advertise.Its free to advertise and cheap to purchase magnets.

You sound like you are very good and it would be a shame for you to waste your talents not to mention all the equipment you have.

Dont give up hun,have a look at some of the threads on here about advertising your business,pick yourself up,brush yourself down and do yourself another set today.

Good luck:hug:

Don't make any rash decisions Rachel. How long has it been since your hubbies soccer coaching started? If you sell up now you may regret it and wish you had taken more time to think about it. Doesn't soccer season last for a set period of time and then they don't play for several months?

I feel for you because all my kit is just staring at me at the mo because of my allergies, but I'm not giving up yet.

Have you tried putting an ad in the local paper? You'd be surprise how well it works, and make up yourself some cards, design and draw them up yourself and carry them in your handbag, hand them out when ever you get a compliment.
If not i could do with some more gels supplies:lol:

Bloss

rachel,why would you want to quit when so much hard work(and money) has gone into your products and training?
if you still have passion for the industry, my advice would be to wait it out..it may just be the way your feeling at the moment..at times i do think it would be easier to get a 'normal job' 9-5pm..guaranteed pay..no products to buy..but i know i would be miserable...theres nothing like being your own boss..and working your hours (where possible) around the kids.
if your situation isn't a matter of finances, think carefully.
how old are your children? can you schedule work when they're in bed..and school?
maybe,you are lucky that you are quiet while hubby's busy for now?
can you work on your advertising and just focus on building your clientele..things have a strange way of working out when the timings right for you..stay positive and plan where you want to be..and work towards that.:hug:

Things will pick up but you do need to advertise obviously thats difficult at the moment but could you set aside certain days & times that you would be able to do clients & practice ?

Don't give up yet !! :hug:

good luck whatever you decide to do :hug: I took the decision to give up after 4 years and have not looked back, feel like a weight has been lifted (still feel the need to geek though lol) if its just the lack of clients that is getting you down then i would say obviously advertise more and ditto what everyone else has said.

Its a personal decision that only you can make. x

hi racheal sorry that you are feeling down today, i dont think you should give up just yet, youve put so much money and time into it so far a little while longer wont hurt, you have a skill and a passion about nails so please give it some time, once your hubby coaching has settled youll be able to concentrate more on your nails and pick up where you left off take care:hug:

i too feel the same at the moment not many clients and im not going anywhere but like you i havent advertised but i think it helps a lot, but only yesterday i had a client contact me from months ago and she want them done regularly again which put a smile on my face, so keep your chin up :hug:

jules x

Chin up luv! It takes time, blood, sweat and tears to build up a clientel. Especially if you're not advertising and not working in a salon.

Why not do as I do, and schedule yourself in the evenings when the children are asleep? Hubby takes on the kids for the short couple of hours before bed. If not, then start only once they are in bed.
There ARE clients that will come to you that late at night.

And scrounge up a few bucks for leaflet drops OR drag the wee ones out with you and they can dash about dropping leaflets. Make a game of it. Who ever delivers the most...

It's hard.. I know
There were many days I asked myself... And my hubby too. But now 1.5yrs later... hubby is right behind me, seeing it pay off.
It will for you too.

:hug: :hug: :hug: we're here for you

:hug::hug:Oh hun don't give up now, we all have days & weeks where we feel like everythings getting to much but don't let it get to you, as you can do it, I know you can. Have a chat with your hubby & maybe you can come to some sort of arrangement. You both have to have time to do things you both want & I'm sure if you explained he'd understand as this career isn't something you've chosen lightly!! Bet ya if you gave it all up you'd soon realise you made a huge mistake as you's miss it sooooooooo much!! Its in your blood now!! :hug::hug::)

Y'know sometimes the less bothered you are about doing something sometimes the more you get requested for...I struggled with nails at one time and suddenly i was getting calls and then ended up doing their friends.

Its patience and it can take a few years to build up a clientele. But if your honest with yourself and truly want to give it up then take a break, forget about it for a few weeks then see how you feel. Dont put pressure on yourself. I have done this a few times and its always worked out in the end.

Best of luck, dont get down about it (said the person who often gets down a fair bit lol)

Chin up, we all have down days, give it time and dont be too hard on yourself. Try leaflet drops on a Sunday, pop a few cards in salons, post office, newsagent.

Once one client is happy, word soon gets around, they then recommend you to others.

You have worked hard for your qualifications. Bet in 6 months time you will see a big turnaround .xx:hug:

hiya babe
please dont give up we all have quiet spells..why not try just putting a few cards or posters around locally...Its worth a try..

we definatly all have these times, this week all i have done is one clients file and polish the rest of the week i have just been sat there hopeful, its a good time now to start advertising as come xmas everyone will want beautiful nails, cant you find a child carer that will let you pay part money and other part of her wage by doing her nails regular that way shes looking after your children and advertising your services, :hug:

It does seem that you are down and in a bit of a rut ... but where there is a will there is a way ... the question is do you have the will??

If you feel like a huge weight would be lifted off your shoulders if you stopped, then nails were never for you!! My guess is that you love doing nails and do not feel like that. It sounds as if you do a good job.

I bet one thrilled client would perk you up no end!! Push yourself and what you do ... pass out leaflets at school .. put up a notice on the supermarket notice board ... in the local gym ... your hair salon ... put cards in every ladies toilet in every restaurant or bar you frequent ... never go anywhere without business cards to hand out or without wearing nail enhancements .... all these things are free to do.

Now put a gorgeous natural-looking set on your nails and strut your stuff!! Don't wear any kind of nail art or length that will scare prospective clients off. I'm sure you can find a couple of hours during the day or evening when you can fit that first person in. Once you do that, you will be away.

A big long distance :hug: .

I'm so sorry to hear this. You have to do what you feel is right, don't be too hasty and sell all your nail products, you may change your mind.:hug:

Hi Everyone.

Hi there,

Try not to feel low. When money was tight and clients were few and far between I had a chat to my childrens' schools' and they have a newsletter every Friday, they let me advertise in there for free. You'd be surprised how many mums, aunts, sisters, grans etc. see that.

You have all your stuff it would be a shame to get rid of it, as Victoria says try and give yourself sometime once the little ones are in bed, it doesn't have to be every evening maybe every other one for the time being.

Good Luck and chin up!

Teri x:hug:

Cheer up hun. I've been slow thru the whole month of Sept. as well, but just chalk it up to everyone getting back into a regular routine with kids all getting back into school. The holiday season is soon approaching and clients will be calling, hang in there. If you are working from home have you tried placing an advertising sign or board out where people can see it from the road as they drive/walk by? As we call them sandwich boards, they can be placed out when open with services & hours and taken back in or put away at your convenience.

I bet your just having one of "those" days, grab yourself some chocolate and a glass of wine and stop thinking about it so much. Christmas is on the way and I bet you'll be chocca. xx

Hi Rachel. Sorry to hear that you are having doubts.

My advice is to not wait for any support from your Hubby/family etc, just work out a way to be able to practice or do clients without waiting for their help.

This might sound harsh, but if you wait till someone can help you, it will probably never happen, there is never going to be an easy time, you just have to work around that.

I'm a single mum with 2 kids, and Ive been working for 3 1/2 years with very little help from anyone, I have just worked out ways of getting a couple of hours here or there when I need them. (mind you, mine are at school so I know that's heaps easier). But even at night I do them when Im here by myself with the kids.

Anyway, I hope you can sort this out, because it's not fair if you have to give up your passion, have a talk with the Hubby and explain your needs and see if he can spare some time to sit with the kids while you practice etc.

PM me if you want to perhaps get together and have a chat, I'm only about 20 mins away from ya mate. x

Latest posts

Back