Thinking of setting up from home..now idea where to start

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernAngel27

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I was taught how to apply false nails many many moons ago but never actually used it as a job. Now having spent a number of miserable years working in an office I am thinking of setting up doing Shellac & Minx nails & progressing onto eyelashes etc. However, I'm not entirely sure what course I am supposed to do first. I have read that I have to do a manicure & pedicure course to start of with, is this right?

Also the courses & starter kits seem really expensive. My budget is pretty tight at the moment & so not too sure what my best options are. Has anyone else set up offering these services from home? have you been successful in doing so?

Any advice would be appreciated :confused:

Thanks in advance

I've recently qualified and gong to set up my own salon at home. You are going to have to spend some money if you are going to make a success of this! Good training is a must...clients will only keep coming back if they are getting a quality service.
I recently did a conversion course with CND AND cant recommend them highly enough! Good luck with your new venture :)

I've recently qualified and gong to set up my own salon at home. You are going to have to spend some money if you are going to make a success of this! Good training is a must...clients will only keep coming back if they are getting a quality service.
I recently did a conversion course with CND AND cant recommend them highly enough! Good luck with your new venture :)
Thanks LucyBlueBell. I've noticed other providers offering cheaper courses, for instance, my local college do a manicure & pedicure course but wasn't sure if CND would then let me do the shellac course

I am just setting up myself. I have done a year of college, short courses and about to do another year at college. All I can say is be prepared to spend ALOT of money, cheap training with cheap products really gets your nowhere.

Although I haven't used them myself but I will be in the near future CND are highly recommended on here have a look at what they offer. I would say though you will probably be fine doing your mani/pedi course at college and then shellac, minx etc with CND afterwards. Also when you say you trained in false nails do you mean acrylics?

Yes you could do that. You can do the Shellac course when you are qualified in mani/pedi.
I did my manicure/gel nail training at college and yes I'm glad I'm now qualified but the quality of the training wasn't great (and the products in our kit were poor which gave poor results and that doesn't help with building confidence)
The standard of training at CND is so much better and the products are amazing! The courses do seem expensive but when you see how much kit is included then they are very good value!xx

Hi there, before you worry about doing a mani/pedi course, give sweet squared a ring. They may accept the qualification you hold in artificial nails. It will depend on who you trained with and what was covered but if you don't ask, you may end up spending money you don't need to.
Will keep my fingers crossed for you x

Thanks everyone. I did indeed train in acrylics but due to a number of personal things going on at the time I never used my training. I def want to do a manicure & pedicure course. I did speak to CND but their manicure/pedicure/shellac course is £1k which I just can't afford as well as buying kit. I will speak to CND about the manicure & pedicure certificate though & see if it then allows me to do just the Shellac course...fingers crossed

Thanks everyone. I did indeed train in acrylics but due to a number of personal things going on at the time I never used my training. I def want to do a manicure & pedicure course. I did speak to CND but their manicure/pedicure/shellac course is £1k which I just can't afford as well as buying kit. I will speak to CND about the manicure & pedicure certificate though & see if it then allows me to do just the Shellac course...fingers crossed
EVERYTHING In the way of kit is included in the price of CND foundation courses .... The kit costs are not added on top of the training price.

The kit from CND was amazing!!!!! It was worth more than I paid for the course!: excellent value :D

Check with your local council that you will be allowed to work from home. There was a post the other day where the woman had done her training, got qualified, then went to set up her business from home only to be told by her landlord (the local council) that she was not allowed to.
Best to check with the council if you own your own home too. They may still object to your business being run from home.

Check with your local council that you will be allowed to work from home. There was a post the other day where the woman had done her training, got qualified, then went to set up her business from home only to be told by her landlord (the local council) that she was not allowed to.
Best to check with the council if you own your own home too. They may still object to your business being run from home.

Yes! Im lucky, I phoned up my council yesterday and I had an email back after only 2 hrs telling me that I didn't need a licence to have a home salon. They said I have to tell my buildings/contents insurance and check the deeds of the house.
I'm starting doing my room up- love it!!!:Love:

CND have excellent products and although £1k sounds a lot it's easy to spend that much. I trained with Cnd for L&P, manicures and pedicures years ago and then stopped doing nails for years when I had children. I now do Gelish part time at home as well as my full time office job and it has cost me about £1200 so far for my lamp, colours, kit etc. but u will easily make it back in a few months and then it's just upkeep of colours, files etc.

I'm training with CND at the moment (Complete course) and I'm keeping a running total of the kit as we receive it. If you do the Naturally course (mani/pedi/polish/Shellac), which is the same as the first half of the Complete course, then the value of the kit you'll receive is almost £500.

Latest posts

Back