Thinking out loud, renting a room with a partner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditzy

Reaction score
Hi all:hug:

Just thinking out loud here, wondered if anyone had any advice. I've been pondering on the idea of finding someone who wants to partner up and hire a room between us, in a hair salon. I do manicures, nail extensions, make up, eyelash/brow tinting and shaping, and waxing, and was thinking about if it would be possible to find someone who does similar treatments, and would rent a room together, sharing costs, etc. The reason for this is the bloody day job that I really wanna get out of, but can't afford to, until my beauty side of things takes off. I would do most saturdays with an occasional one off, when they would cover, and also I'd do every Wednesday, they would then do other days of the week that suit them, with me sometimes covering for them to have time off.

Do you think it would be too messy, not in a wax all over the place way :green:, I mean in a business way, such as not getting on, or one side not pulling their weight, etc?

Has anyone ever done this? Or can anyone think of the pitfalls?

I think that the way you are thinking in that you would like to get a nice client base before leaving the day job is quite smart. And there may be people wanting to split rental of a room to break down the cost, especially those that are maybe mobile in their other time.

The problem that I think you might have is that when you said sharing a room, I immediately thought maybe 3 days / 4 days split or something like that. But it sounds more like you want one or two days and somebody to take the rest of the time. This would mean that they pay 4 out of say 6 days a week of the rental, so I don't see how from their point of view they would be saving.

Plus. When you are in your routine, if you are wanting to increase your hours but they are happy with theirs, you wouldn't be able to get any more days in.

Just some thoughts

were you thinking of working in the room at the same time or always one of you there alone? sorry if thats a silly question x

The biggest problem I see is that Saturday is the prime day and you want that one for your self.
If that was me I wouldn't be happy to do the quiet days through the week and then be pushed out for the best day of the week.

I was thinking of both working there on busy days, and just one of us on quiet days. Susie H, you've got me thinking, actually, that's obvious that Saturday would be the busiest, but I was thinking more along the lines of I like having as many Saturday's off as possible, and just assumed that everyone else does too! Also, as I would love to work mostly with make-up, I would like to be able to go mobile to brides on a Saturday, so maybe I and my partner would split the Saturdays. I think there's a lot more to this idea than I originally thought. Thanks for the input all, I think I'll put this idea to the bottom of the pile for now!

Latest posts

Back