Thinning the toe nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leni

Reaction score
Hi. I've just had a lady for pedicure and one of her big toe nails has been damaged in an accident ever since she was jung. The nail was a bit thicker than the rest and she wanted me to make it thinner by filing the thickness off. (which I refused to do). Or should I have done? What do you think?

Without seeing it, it's hard to say. I saw this done by Sabrina Malik when she was on The Salon. It made such a difference. Eugh they were the grossest feet (a man's too) and I thought she deserved a medal for the transformation she did on the feet. However if you are ever not comfortable with performing a part of a treatment like this then I think you are better not to do it. I've done this in a client with great success though.

Yeh I've also had to do this with a couple of clients toe nails, as long as your careful & confident you should be fine!! Do it gradually at first if you prefer as sometimes it can be tender depending on the condition of the clients nail bed. They look so much better afterwards!!

I have this problem myself since having my toe nails removed and they then grew back.
One of them seems to grow out rather than up.
When visiting a chiropdist she e-filed mine to make it thinner :eek: and it scared the living day lights out of me.
Since then I try and file it thinner myself, then have gel put on it and you can't really tell at all.

i have thickening of the toenail on a couple of my toes, the worst one is my big toe which also has a pincer nail, sometimes it gives me pain... thinning it out seems to help the problem... but as has been said before, if you're not comfortable doing any part of a treatment then don't do it.

Thank you all. She did say that the pedicurist she went to before did it with an E-file.

I kicked a door once and two weeks later the whole nail fell off my big toe it started to grow back but thick and rounded sort of like a stone so I filed it out so it was in proportion to the others and it worked fine grew back as if nothing happened now i have a lovely smooth nail that looks better than the other one.

I thin out thickened nails when I do a pedi,older clients tend to have thickened toenails so I use our nail machine that has an attachment for this purpose.I think at the end of the day,as long as your careful not to over thin then there shouldn't be a problem.These nails are tough as old boots and will never get any better so I try to make the best out of a bad thing and my clients are happier for the treatment,varnish looks a whole lot better to.I must add though that I am very cautious as not to over thin.

When I did my training at creative for manicure and pedicure we were told that any filing on the natural finger nail was a no no as there were only 50 layers of plate where as your toenails were fine as there were something like 250

My sister has the thickest toe nails I have ever seen, (large left toe) she damaged it when she was very young. I did thin hers down, then did ibd gel french and she was over the moon with them and has had no problems,I] xx[/I]

DaddyWishFish said:
I kicked a door once and two weeks later the whole nail fell off my big toe it started to grow back but thick and rounded sort of like a stone so I filed it out so it was in proportion to the others and it worked fine grew back as if nothing happened now i have a lovely smooth nail that looks better than the other one.

You could kick the door with the other foot then they could match :)

I've filed nails thinner as well .....but was real careful ....my client seemed to be satisfied

Hi there,

A gentle buffing with a white block[great for getting into tight corners] or the coursest grit of a threeway glosser - girlfriend buff will even the surface & also thin out excess nail without grinding it away.
At times I have to do this to the neatest of feet to even the nailplate to deter peeling - splitting & for a smooth enamel finish.

Move your buffer from the cuticle area towards the free edge of the toenail in long fluid strokes.
Angling the strokes towards your belly button as you move over the free edge,not straight out[hope that makes sense]

Solar oil or a cuticle-nail treatment should be recommended also.
These nails tend to be a little drier & extra brittle with no TLC.

HtH
XX J XX

i filled my own toe nails thinner the other day,i have posted pictures on another thread somewhere ,the difference was unbelievable,and i have noticed i dont get sore toes anymore now from my shoes,i think its down to my nails being thinner now anyway! there was always a feeling of pressure before

Latest posts

Back