Thyroid-contraindicated for facial?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Face Geek

Reaction score
I wasn't taught that thyroid problems were contraindications to facials, but I'm wondering if things have changed since 1997/98.

Would you do a facial, inc neck, chest and shoulders, on a person who's taking meds for thyroid? Would you send them away or just modify-less massage on neck, none on throat?

Last edited:
I would have thought that someone with thyroid problems would have skin that would be in desperate need of a facial i.e people with underactive thyroid normally have drier skin and overactive have oilier skins. Personally I would just avoid massaging around the throat but would think everything else would be fine. If you are worried, perhaps ask her for a note from her doctor doing a facial xx

Well - I'm a sufferer of 'Underactive Thyroid' and I take Thyroxine tablets everyday.

I have dry skin on my hands & feet, my face is normal, there has been no change in my skin on my face since I have had this problem, which is 3 and 1/2 years. But my hands & feet are much worse.

I have never been told by anyone, even my doctor, that I cannot have ANY treatment......why would you consider this a contra-indication?

my mum has had her right thyroid removed and has a small scar (this was in 2000) and she is on thyroxine, shes fine to have facials at a normal pressure on the neck and trust me she would tell me if it was hurting! check with your client how long ago the surgery was (if they had any) and check your pressure with them, but i doubt it is a contra-indication hth xx

I have an under active thyroid and it doesen't affect the facials that i have had or will have i'm still quite a healthy person.

Ruby

Logans Cave - News

Last edited:
I too have an underactive thyroid and am taking meds. It most definitely isn't a contra-indication for any treatment.

When providing a facial massage you don't go directly over the thyroid area with any pressure anyway so you don't need to modify that at all. Neck, shoulders etc are all fine. People with an UAT will often have dry skin and slow metabolism equaling slow cell renewal.

My advice would be to treat the skin type, not the illness in this case, and simply provide your normal treatment.

I had thyroid cancer which is more complicated than an under/over active thyroid. My consultanat has said i cant have any, massage, steam or any part of any beauty treatment that would encourage lymphatic drainage. When somebody has suffered from thyroid cancer, if the lymphatic system is over stimulated it could cause a tumour to regrow. She has given me a 2year guideline. She also said this was the rule for all beauty treatments not just facials. If it encourages the lymphatic system it shouldnt be done.
Hope this helps xx

Im the odd one out here with an over active thyroid which is particualy bad during pregnancy. I never have a problem with having facials as my thyroid gland is not painful. I think the thyroid cancer is a different issue as said above its more complicated, however just an over active or under active thyroid should not be a contraindication. Certainly my over active thyroid isnt.

x

when using essential oils in a facial range do check for contra's for uad as some pure essential oils cant be used for thyroid probs and other conditions.

As with any form of cancer a doctors letter of agreement needs to be obtained before any beauty treatment .

Ruby

Logans Cave - News

Latest posts

Back