Time for a rant! Hairdressing is for thicko's?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairflair'xo

Reaction score
To me, it always comes across that hairdressers are thought of as being stupid, why is this!? It angers me so much that ignorant people don't realize the hard work involved in our trade!!!

Opinions people?? Xx

To me, it always comes across that hairdressers are thought of as being stupid, why is this!? It angers me so much that ignorant people don't realize the hard work involved in our trade!!!

Opinions people?? Xx

Get over it. It's not new news. Do a search and you will see the thousands of threads on this same subject.

I get exasperated too but nothing we do or say will change people's perceptions of us. So, I think what the hell!!!!! hence my reply about getting over it. X

Suppose I will just have to get over it :/ so bloody frustrating though!! Xx

I have a little chuckle to myself when people make assumptions about me - I have 9 GCSE's, 3 A Levels and a BSc Honours degree, I am also fully qualified in all the treatments I do and people come to my house that I own and pay me to do something I love doing (nails, tans etc) which pays my bills, for my holidays etc.

So you know what they say - when you assume you make an ass out of u and me.

Because we're fashion! Look at Paris Hilton, she's seen as thick, and only lives off her dads money, but... She only had money off her family until she started work, now she's a self made millionaires. Why do people think she's thick? Fashion!
Many see fashionable people as having too much time so they spend it on fashion.
Our jobs are seen as easy, play with hair, paint on some colour and cut a straight line. Yet most who think that can't cut open a bag of frozen veg.
Don't let it bother you.

And btw, I was a stereotype. Blonde, hairdresser, gay, wore the latest fashion and I wish I still am, but I was thin. Did I care? Hell no! I love me, and that's all that matters xoxo

Its similar for me, I got 3 A*'s at school, (not as many qualifications as you!) so i'm in no way stupid, but people always seem to think of me and and other stylists as idiots! I would love to try these people out in a salon, give them a client and see what they make of it!! I'm sure they'd soon change their veiws of us!! Xx

Because we're fashion! Look at Paris Hilton, she's seen as thick, and only lives off her dads money, but... She only had money off her family until she started work, now she's a self made millionaires. Why do people think she's thick? Fashion!
Many see fashionable people as having too much time so they spend it on fashion.
Our jobs are seen as easy, play with hair, paint on some colour and cut a straight line. Yet most who think that can't cut open a bag of frozen veg.
Don't let it bother you.

And btw, I was a stereotype. Blonde, hairdresser, gay, wore the latest fashion and I wish I still am, but I was thin. Did I care? Hell no! I love me, and that's all that matters xoxo

Love your attitude!! Xxx

Its just one of those things,
there is no point in even batting an eye lid over it.

there are more professions out there where people assume the same,
take models for example...
alot of people class them as Bimbo's with no common sense or knowledge, although I know a model who has done her A-levels and in Uni..

You know yourself it takes skill to be a damn good hairdresser... thats all that matters xxx

I have a little chuckle to myself when people make assumptions about me - I have 9 GCSE's, 3 A Levels and a BSc Honours degree, I am also fully qualified in all the treatments I do and people come to my house that I own and pay me to do something I love doing (nails, tans etc) which pays my bills, for my holidays etc.

So you know what they say - when you assume you make an ass out of u and me.

Love the assume comment.

Ad well said, who's stupid? Get paid for something you enjoy doing, and be in a industry with the highest % of happy workers or hate your job, hate your colleagues and think your so much better then all the rest? Xoxo

Suppose I will just have to get over it :/ so bloody frustrating though!! Xx

It is frustrating. I could tell you many stories about the insulting things clients and others have said.

Honestly. I have to do a mental count to uh.......what comes after 3 :eek:?

Hmm , ive lost count the number of times people with phds and grand jobs cant get simple advice given on their hair ... Theres different types of intelligence ..and common sense is altogether different . It is a misconception that hairdressers are stupid , but I think its fading fast.
As for the misconception that hairdressers are always dolled up and badly behaved on a night out .. well , thats no misconception!

Just read your blog Jojo.

Says everything id love to say to many people!!

Should be framed and put on every salon wall as a mantra
x

Brilliant jojo x

I loves a good wingey ramble I do ;)
xxx

the next time someone accuses hairdressers of being stupid i'll ask them to explain colour theory to me, it seems like rocket science to me lol

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Great article Jojo!

I no longer care if people think I'm thick for being a hairdresser. The truth is that I'm not. The people who know me, and whos opinion's I care about, know I'm not thick.

Who gives a toss about people's prejudices? Chances are they have a lower IQ than me!!

Too right we have pride in our work and screw anyone else who challenges it. Im at uni now doing a photography degree and know i'll always be ok for work because what student doesnt want their hair done! In fact im finding it very hard to stop thinking about hair and start thinking about my degree ha, but its all for the greater good. Hopefully when i come out i'll be able to do a job involving hairdressing AND photography and it will be awesome.

I had a client sat in front of me say, why don't you get a proper job?!!!!!
I told her I used to be a legal sec then an IT Manager covering 4 solicitors offices and training over 200 people. I then decided to do something I loved for myself rather than what others wanted me to do.
I love my job now and won't ever be going back. She then said. Good for you! I just said I prefer to be independent and work for myself rather than have to now down to others. She shut up then. Oh yes she doesn't work at all, says she can't find a job!!!! Huh, wonder why?!!

Seriously, just dont worry about it, Let them think what they want. I would like to see these people cut and style somebodys hair :lick:
Welcome to Hairdressers Leicester

Latest posts

Back