Tipping v's Sculpting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbiekc84

Reaction score
I did a new set of acrylics last night for my neighbour. Previousy she had been having them done by another neighbour of ours. I chose to sculpt them, as I do with most of my clients now. When I started she looked surprised and said "oh i've never had them done this way before xxxxxxxx used to do them this way......" Its the same reaction I get from many new clients - its as if they think I am 'cheating' them out of a full service but charging the same as others who tip.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Also it feels like so long since i've done tipping on someone i'm going to lose the skills I built up. I prefer the results that I acheive with sculpting, and I know this should be the main thing, but i'm beginning to think that I'm the only tech sculpting over tipping!

Kelly x

but i'm beginning to think that I'm the only tech sculpting over tipping!

I sculpt and tip depending on the nails I'm presented with....... Most of my clients have never seen sculpting forms before but I just explain that it's a different way of getting the same result and most seem to accept it! I've not had negative reactions from sculpting. I have a couple that insist I sculpt them and some that insist I tip them (one has nails to die for and would sculpt like a dream!) but I'm happy to do both.......

Let your results speak for themselves and as long as your nails look nice and last well I can't imagine your clients would have a problem!

I sculpt and tip depending on the nails I'm presented with....... Most of my clients have never seen sculpting forms before but I just explain that it's a different way of getting the same result and most seem to accept it! I've not had negative reactions from sculpting. I have a couple that insist I sculpt them and some that insist I tip them (one has nails to die for and would sculpt like a dream!) but I'm happy to do both.......

Let your results speak for themselves and as long as your nails look nice and last well I can't imagine your clients would have a problem!

Thanks for your reply. I haven't had any clients that have insisted on either way, maybe I don't give them a chance to make the choice:confused:? Should I be giving the options?

I have always had positive feedback its just the intial shock of the clients when faced with forms!

Kelly x

That's a bizarre reaction from a client! I generally only sculpt, and when clients ask why I don't tip, I explain to them that I find sculpting a stronger, more durable enhancement as the product is bonded directly to the nail. This makes them very happy. Having said that, I am not a sculpting snob, I believe tips are appropriate on certain clients and don't believe I am a better tech than those who don't sculpt - it is my personal preference and my opinion only!

Thanks for your reply. I haven't had any clients that have insisted on either way, maybe I don't give them a chance to make the choice:confused:? Should I be giving the options?

I have always had positive feedback its just the intial shock of the clients when faced with forms!

Kelly x

I don't give them the choice as such, they tend to be people who've worn nails before and have sought me out due to moving to my area. They tend to have quite set ideas on what they want based on what they've had in the past, including one who tells me where to put her whites (too low IMO!!)!

One client I tipped the first time because her nails were short and a few appts later she had 'removed' her nails and needed a new set but as her nails were longer I scuplted them. She much prefers the sculpted set and if I do her a full set at any point she has them sculpted out of choice.....

Sorry, lots of words to say if what you're doing is working for you then keep doing it :)!!!! It's good to be able to do both though isn't it? Keeps all bases covered......

I don't give them the choice as such, they tend to be people who've worn nails before and have sought me out due to moving to my area. They tend to have quite set ideas on what they want based on what they've had in the past, including one who tells me where to put her whites (too low IMO!!)!

One client I tipped the first time because her nails were short and a few appts later she had 'removed' her nails and needed a new set but as her nails were longer I scuplted them. She much prefers the sculpted set and if I do her a full set at any point she has them sculpted out of choice.....

Sorry, lots of words to say if what you're doing is working for you then keep doing it :)!!!! It's good to be able to do both though isn't it? Keeps all bases covered......

Thanks,

Like I said they all walk away very happy and they all come back so I must be doing something right I guess!

Kelly x

That's a bizarre reaction from a client! I generally only sculpt, and when clients ask why I don't tip, I explain to them that I find sculpting a stronger, more durable enhancement as the product is bonded directly to the nail. This makes them very happy. Having said that, I am not a sculpting snob, I believe tips are appropriate on certain clients and don't believe I am a better tech than those who don't sculpt - it is my personal preference and my opinion only!

Oh I hope you don't think I was being a sculpting snob?!

It is a bizarre reaction and if it had only happened once i'd let it pass but its been half a dozen times now. Its almost like its a shock for them! I think I may have to take a tip from you and be more confident in my approach with sculpts and the explanation as to why I do them that way.

Thanks for your reply

Kelly x

I like mely-bely's answer you get a good strong result from sculpting as there is usually more contact with the product and nat nail.
I think its great that you sculpt - be strong its just another way of doing things

My sis in law came round tonight and asked how i did mine and i explained i could either do tips or forms depending on nails.she wouldnt have her nails done before because she had a bad experiance with tips and thought i could only use tips,she didnt even know there was another way of doing them, shes now booked in for forms.
I love sculpting, i get a really good sence of satisfaction!
:)

sculpts for me all the way, unless i am asked for a tip overlay or a nno..

I do believe both have their place, but if i can get away with it not having to use resin and blending then ill go for a form everytime.

I always preferred to have my own nails sculpted, its taken me a long time to learn to sculpt, I've finally got there and don't want to go back to tipping, ever:lol: but I think when it comes to sever nail biters and sever ski slope nails I'll probably still tip.
Around here all the nail bars tip and the named salons sculpt.
What seems to really surprise people is the amount of prep I do and the lack of damage to the natural nail I do:eek:

I love to sculpt but tips have their place too as some nails just dont obey the form LOL

I think people are often suspicious of new things especially if they like the result they get the good old way.
Your clients' resoning may go like this: hey, this is something different... won't my nails look worse/be less strong this way? Etc.
It's psychology. No need to worry. ))

Latest posts

Back