Tips for using Bio free edge gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy_Lu

Reaction score
I'm struggling with my method. Does anyone have any tips? I can't seem to get it on thick enough (I am so shocked at how much product is needed?!). And it just runs - I'm having to do one finger at a time and cure which is prolonging my service time massively!

Any help would be very appreciated xx

This is what I didnt like about it :(
Soo runny

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I prefer sculpting gel, I use the UV system though. Xx

I use uv too and have sculpting gel, just concerned that its too flexible for my clients! Any one got any tips on how to get the free edge shape quickly to avoid running?! I'm getting desperate xx

Anyone? I'm doing a full set of extensions later and I'm so worried - only given myself 2 hrs too. Argh, getting panicky.

I´ve had that problem with calgel. You will need sooooo much product and it ist running, for me that was one point to change to normal gel.

But I think I´ll try Brisa Lite for a second time.....

I think ionly ever got one full set of bio sculpts with free edge gel to last and I used silk with it. Honestly although it sculpts and files beautifully when you get the knack of it, it just doesn't hold up. I switched to brisa lite and haven't looked back x

You have to reinforce the Free Edge gel with silk. It files like a dream, but yes it's runny. I shape the nail with a file after forming the sculpt, I can't apply it without it running all over the place.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I did my full set in the two hours but I was very disappointed with them. Feel very disappointed with bio generally at the mo... Wishing I'd just done CND - need a bio boost 😞 xx

Sculpting gel is actually quite strong, maybe try again with sculpting gel on your own nail. See how you go xx

Thanks for the comments everyone. I did my full set in the two hours but I was very disappointed with them. Feel very disappointed with bio generally at the mo... Wishing I'd just done CND - need a bio boost 😞 xx

What was disappointing about them?

I had a half day training which be because there wasn't very many of us they crammed in with a full day training on a different course. Meant we only got an hour. Left feeling unconfident in application, service and knowledge.

This was all after the training session had been moved 3 days prior to it so I had to shuffle clients around too.

Xx

Sculpting gel is 4 times stronger than Clear Gel & thats why I sculpt with that instead...
I'd apply the free edge gel as thick as the existing nail (no thicker as you don't want a great big sausage shape) & insert within lamp to freeze cure (stopping the gel running) & in the mean time work on the adjacent finger. It shouldnt take any longer by swapping nails. I simply freeze cure each finger & when the next gel is in place on the next nail I swap over again...

Once all 5 are in place then I cure the whole 2 minutes using UV lamp (so non are under cured).
Once that initial layer is cured, then on goes the S Gel along the apex ensuring enough strength is built into the apex / edge where the 2 gels meet ...

Do you have a picture of what you have done?? Maybe your being too hard on yourself ?

Did I read somewhere that bio are discontinuing sculpting gel or am I going mad ?

Did I read somewhere that bio are discontinuing sculpting gel or am I going mad ?

I bloody hope they don't or there will be war ! ;)

I don't think they are - they would have a lot of techs looking elsewhere if they do.

When I did some refresher training with Bio the runny free edge gel was mentioned and our trainer said to remove the lid and make a scrunched over the pot lid with foil so that the air can get to it but not too much, leave the foil covered pot in a cool dark place and it should oxidise slightly thereby thickening it up, keep checking it and give it a stir occasionally - the trainer said this is what she does with hers. I've never tried it myself but I suppose it's worth a shot.
I always use sculpting gel myself and it is plenty strong enough if you sculpt well - it's all we had back in the early days.

I hope that is some help x

I heard about the discontinuing of sculpting gel from another tech here in Australia, and was on the phone to Bio straight away. I was told by the trainer that they had asked the same question and were told no, there were no plans to discontinue. She thinks some of the rumour is coming from the fact the new kits (for those just starting out) only come with LED lamps. Even in training, the Qld trainer only mentions sculpting gel and how and when to use it; they don't want the newbies to feel pressure to get a UV lamp after they've just bought the kit

Thanks Sleepingbeauty about the flash cure tip!

I heard about the discontinuing of sculpting gel from another tech here in Australia, and was on the phone to Bio straight away. I was told by the trainer that they had asked the same question and were told no, there were no plans to discontinue. She thinks some of the rumour is coming from the fact the new kits (for those just starting out) only come with LED lamps. Even in training, the Qld trainer only mentions sculpting gel and how and when to use it; they don't want the newbies to feel pressure to get a UV lamp after they've just bought the kit

Thanks nightwriter, that clears that up :biggrin:

Thanks nightwriter, that clears that up :biggrin:

No problem - I've been meaning to post this on the Bio group, but keep forgetting :)

No plans to discontinue hey.... Well 18 months ago they released a computerised image stating why there gels would never become LED curable .... (Saying that the increase in pigmentation would cause dehydration to the nails, & the cost of converting said gels across wasn't viable blah blah )...

18 months down the road low & behold they launched LED Curable Bio Sculpture gel.... Hence I don't believe all that I hear anymore ! I do think they will discontinue that gel & when they do they will be kicking themselves & then kicking themselves some more !

Latest posts

Back