Tips on staying motivated....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saucygirl

Reaction score
I haven't posted for a while, I opened my nail shop in July and was completely flat out busy, booked three weeks ahead and run completely off my feet!

Funny thing about it though, it's starting to really feel like 'work' now. The initial excitement is passed, and the novelty of having 'my very own business' has worn off.

I enjoy being at work, but sometimes I just don't want to get up and actually go.....

So, how do we all keep ourselves motivated? What tricks do you fellow geeks use when the days aren't as busy as they once were, and the retail sales are lower?

I've just spent an hour looking up motivational videos on youtube, and that helped for the moment, but I need some more advice.

just knowing that you are getting up for you and you are the boss is enough for me most of the time, but we all get days where its a bit too 'samey' and 'feels' like work!

I set myself little targets, and I write to-do lists, sometimes I have an affirmation which I keep in my diary.

Love to see what other people do.

I always had a problem with organising my time which is why I had someone to help give me tasks to organise and then I knew what I needed to do as oppose to working out for myself what needed doing and getting myself into a tizzy about how to sort it all out

When times are just a little too scary for comfort I remind myself of just how miserable I was in CorporateWorld. I have 23 self inflicted scars on my forearms when it all went horribly wrong in those dark days. The worst the days get now is a tad overcast, and the lack of a salary is more than made up for with the peace of mind and the control over my own destiny.
Enjoy the ride!

I take on a new challenge and go and learn something new.Ive been bored with nails lately,just doing Calgel nno.
I never liked doing hard gel but thought i would give it another go with a different company so i did an Ezflow gel it conversion course at the weekend and now i cant wait to do nails again as the gel is so much easier to file and work with than any of the hard gels ive tried, and i was producing some really nice nails.
I learnt some new techniques and didnt have to spend much.So i will be happy for a while.

Last edited:
I take on a new challenge and go and learn something new.Ive been bored with nails lately,just doing Calgel nno.
I never liked doing hard gel but thought i would give it another go with a different company so i did an Ezflow gel it conversion course at the weekend and now i cant wait to do nails again as the gel it is so much easier to file and work with than any of the hard gels ive tried, and i was producing some really nice nails.
I learnt some new techniques and didnt have to spend much.So i will be happy for a while.

Learning something new is always a good one for motivation. Working day in and day out doing the same thing can get you down in any job but there's nothing more exciting than letting your imagination run wild and 'playing' for a while.

I never liked doing hard gel but thought i would give it another go with a different company so i did an Ezflow gel it conversion course at the weekend and now i cant wait to do nails again as the gel is so much easier to file and work with than any of the hard gels ive tried, and i was producing some really nice nails.
I agree. Learning something new will not only freshen your skills and keep you motivated, but will enable you to add something new to your repertoire. If it's something completely different to your usual treatments, use it as a marketing opportunity! Get some free postcards from vistaprint, put an ad in your local journal- clients soon pick up on your passion and faith in a product / treatment!

I agree with Claire and Gillian about doing courses and learning something new to help keep motivated. Also if you've had a really busy run with loads of clients, probably when it goes quiet the salon will need a good spring clean, there will be stock orders to do, phone calls to make which you didn't have time for etc etc, or you could plan some kind of event eg an evening to promote your salon or a new product/treatment, perhaps also selling raffle tickets or something to raise money for charity? we are planning a Jewellery/Handbag Evening along with a product launch next week. I would never dream of taking this on in the summer when I'm fully boooked all day and knackered, but it's fun to do when you have time.
Good luck! and try not to lose sight of why you wanted to work for yourself in the first place, no idiots TELLING you what to do. All the decisions are yours now.

Definetly agree with learning something new, it keeps you fresh and alive, and its exciting to practise, include it onto your price list, and promote it.

I learn new things a few times a year and it really sparks me up!

I deffo feel like this sometimes and there is nothing better than training even learning a better use for a product can help. If that fails or I cant afford it I get all my kits out and had a really good 'play' - I changed my nails to almond shape this summer and of course my clients followed suit - not sure they're ready for the stilleto yet :lol:

Latest posts

Back