To be a nail tech'...Gifted or Worked your butt off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To be a good nail tech' .......is it a gift or just hard work?

• With enough practice anyone could.

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • A gift of dexterity is definately needed as well as practice.

Votes: 127 82.5%

• Total voters

Tiger Jay

Reaction score
To become a good nail technician, we all know that we have to work our butts off to achieve the standard that we require.

How ever, IN YOUR OPINION, would you say that it takes a certain amount of natural gift to be a nail technician or, (with enough blood, sweat and tears) and practice could any one master it?

I only say this, because IMO I feel that you do need a certain amount of dexterity to be in this line of work, as well as practice.

What do you think?

Jules, I think a bit of both tbh., Today I have practiced until I've gone cross eyed! My friends keep reminding me of how artistic I am but it's not a bit of paper in front of me, it's someone's nails and you can't just rub that out!

Have to admit though, I love the challenge!

Great thread xx

Well, i think its like alot of things enough determination, dedication, drive and passion can help you succeed, but i do think that a 'creative flair' does help, not forgetting the right and reputable training, products, and continuation of training is also another factor. You can practise until the cows come home but it doesnt mean alot without reputable training

jmo xxxxxx

Fab thread Julie :D

Yes, it takes blood, sweat and tears to succeed, however, to be a true nail artist I believe that there has to be a bit of a gift present in the first place.
I don't think that just anyone can do this job, I feel that there needs to be a certain amount of artistic flair and not everyone has that, no matter how much they train for it.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Think about it like this:

You can teach someone how to play guitar, and even get them playing the most difficult piece of music spot on, if given enough training and dedication.

However, you can not train someone to have an ear for music. (For instance being able to pick out a tune by ear.)

This is the kind of thing I'm getting at.

I consider being a nail technician as an art form and I look upon any art in this way. IMO
Interesting don't you think?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Think about it like this:

You can teach someone how to play guitar, and even get them playing the most difficult piece of music spot on, if given enough training and dedication.

However, you can not train someone to have an ear for music. (For instance being able to pick out a tune by ear.)

This is the kind of thing I'm getting at.

I consider being a nail technician as an art form and I look upon any art in this way. IMO
Interesting don't you think?

ahhhh yes i see, i understand *blonde* so basically if you havent got the 'artistic flair' (thanks sandi!! couldnt think of it) for instance that would be similar to the above 'ear for music' or 'having rhythm' ? confusing myself now:eek:

I consider being a nail technician as an art form and I look upon any art in this way.
Most definitely... having the 'eye' for nails is no different to having the 'ear' for music, you can try your hardest with someone but if they haven't got it then they haven't got it... sorry if that offends anyone but that's the way I see it (from a personal point of view).

I'd like to know what the educators on the site think regarding 'having the eye', is it something that in your opinions can be taught or is it there from the beginning?

So would it probably be a 'youv'e either got it or you aint' ?

Most definitely... having the 'eye' for nails is no different to having the 'ear' for music, you can try your hardest with someone but if they haven't got it then they haven't got it... sorry if that offends anyone but that's the way I see it (from a personal point of view).

I'd like to know what the educators on the site think regarding 'having the eye', is it something that in your opinions can be taught or is it there from the beginning?

spot on Sandi, maybe it is there from the begining and it just develops?

I don't think it's just about manual dexterity, there has to be a bit of flair there too....although, I never thought I had either!

So would it probably be a 'youv'e either got it or you aint' ?
Grey area really............

There's nothing to say that, a person who hasn't got the natural gift, couldn't become a nail technician at all, but they maybe limited to what they can acheive.
Again just MHO

Grey area really............

There's nothing to say that, a person who hasn't got the natural gift, couldn't become a nail technician at all, but they maybe limited to what they can acheive.
Again just MHO
I think that's quite a limiting statement.

having the 'eye' for nails is no different to having the 'ear' for music, you can try your hardest with someone but if they haven't got it then they haven't got it... sorry if that offends anyone but that's the way I see it (from a personal point of view).

I have to disagree, my eye took a while to come on top, about 2 years to be honest, just ask Antony lol but now I have the eye...I wasn't born with it but I found it and I know now I have a great eye!

I think there are quite alot of factors to consider, also it depends which way you look at it, training can limit what you achieve, products etc, i'll stop before i confuse myself again!! lol

I have to disagree, my eye took a while to come on top, about 2 years to be honest, just ask Antony lol but now I have the eye...I wasn't born with it but I found it and I know now I have a great eye!

Maybe you always had it and it developed through experiences etc?? just a thought :hug:

My personal take on that would be that you must have had it in the beginning but didn't realise it...
I believe that it's possible to have it and not know it but that it needs time to develop it, if that makes sense.
I didn't think I had it in the beginning, I reckon it was hiding, but that I delevloped it along the way.

Well, and probably I'll get shot for this, I have never offered my critique at all on that part of the site ever, tonight I did.

I now know what looks right and how I want want my nails to look, not just mine, my clients, so know, what shape etc. I am looking for, I am in no means taking anything from the experts, but if I don't know what I want how can I do nails? :)

Maybe you always had it and it developed through experiences etc?? just a thought :hug:
Good point Rachael! I mean you can actually have a natural talent for something and not be aware of it until it is stimulated by knowledge.

Latest posts

Back