To be a nail tech'...Gifted or Worked your butt off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To be a good nail tech' .......is it a gift or just hard work?

• With enough practice anyone could.

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • A gift of dexterity is definately needed as well as practice.

Votes: 127 82.5%

• Total voters
A client said to me tonight....you're really artistic....but I really don't think I am....maybe I'm in denial.

A)= experience
B)= experience

artistic is artistic, there are so many analogies (like giving a cigarette to a non smoker, they hold it like a drag queen with leprosy) you can actually tell by they way a person picks up a brush........anyways, i'd rather let someone more money hungry take responsibility for them, these "so so" techs have someones name on their certificates ......... it ain't mine.

I completly agree with that. I think it's just born in some people.

I showed my daughter & my friends daughter how to do a basic manicure so they could do each others nails one day. My friends daughter who was only 8 or 9 at the was completly natural in everything, used that file & held that polish like a nail tech.

While my daughter knows alot about doing nails it won't be her thing, but I can't wait for my friends' daughter to be old enough to do it.

I think you have to be a creative and patient person to do nails, and this is either part of you or not!

I think that a lot depends on the determination to become a good nailtechnician.
I think that's more important than having a natural talent to determin the quality of ones job. I think that this "natural" type of talent is the final product from years of practising and the strong will to improve yourself every time and demand more of yourself.

But i would say that being creative is something that you own or not, which ofcourse has an impact on the nails that you produce. It is easy for example to copy nail art designs from internet etc... where a creative nailtech would shake something original out of her sleaves to dazzle her customers.

I basically changed the two answer possibility with this poll and i would like to for determination as the moste crucial quality instead of talent "which is nr 2 for me" :green:

it would be great if educators recognised the true "no hopers" gently explained the situation to them and offered a refund. Rather than persisting and churning out a "so so" nail tech, only for them to eventually give up or go broke trying.
I mentioned my training refund experience many months ago (refunded 4 out of 6 students).

There is a responsibility issue here.
But i suppose money speaks louder...... (ain't it sad)?

I agree with this. There was a girl on my course who just couldn't grasp anything. She practised loads but just couldn't do it. I'd be shown/told how to do something once and was fine (sorry, not blowing my own trumpet!). The one thing that came across though, was lack of passion. If the enthusiasm isn't there you'll never succeed.

If the enthusiasm isn't there you'll never succeed.

Thats what i always say!! Try working/training with an unenthusiastic person - it drove me to depression!

I think with enough passion, patience, and determination anyone can do it. It was an uphill struggle for me to learn nails and finally get the whole concept down then get them to be without service breakdown. Education in the industry can make it possible for anyone willing to do whatever it takes to learn!!! Now I am proud of my nail skills!!!

To become a good nail technician, we all know that we have to work our butts off to achieve the standard that we require.

How ever, IN YOUR OPINION, would you say that it takes a certain amount of natural gift to be a nail technician or, (with enough blood, sweat and tears) and practice could any one master it?

I only say this, because IMO I feel that you do need a certain amount of dexterity to be in this line of work, as well as practice.

What do you think?

Many people can learn a skill.
Not all people are artists.
If one has a natural flair, they WILL have the edge over the next guy in their work results. But you do not need to have this edge to learn to produce good salon nails or to run a sucessful business ... that is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time and an 'eye' can be developed with good training that will make you a good living.

I can tell in 5 minutes with my students, if they have or have not 'got it' naturally but equally, I can get most students to a really high level if they commit to the practise involved and dedicate themselves to learning the skills required.

Most definitely... having the 'eye' for nails is no different to having the 'ear' for music, you can try your hardest with someone but if they haven't got it then they haven't got it... sorry if that offends anyone but that's the way I see it (from a personal point of view).

I'd like to know what the educators on the site think regarding 'having the eye', is it something that in your opinions can be taught or is it there from the beginning?

As an Educator, I totally agree. In any class I teach there is always a mix of some students who are absolute naturals, and some who struggle no matter how much time is spent with them going over and over the basics. Most gain a level of competency through sheer hard work perfecting set after set of nails, whilst some just are naturals from day one, and there is no way of guessing who is going to fall into which category when they first sit in front of you.

My Son is a hugely talented racing driver, and is presently racing with a team thanks to winning a scholarship on merit to race in a high-profile series. However......It's a family joke that he most certainly did NOT get his talent from me, because despite years behind a wheel I still hate reversing and have days when I know my driving is pants. Yes, I know the basics, but can never profess to be talented in this field, and I think the same applies to any trade/profession.

In my opinion, when someone thinks they would like to learn how to become a Nail Technician they obviously take a chance on whether they will be outstanding or not. With good teaching, most can become competent but with some students the talent just shines.

Only once have I ever had a student who was so unsuited to this profession that by the end of day one she still could not manage to hold and use a file correctly. She herself admitted defeat and did not continue. Think I would be the same if I tried to be an HGV driver!

Hi
I think to be a successful nail tech it isnt so much the creativity needed (as such) but more having the confidence in yourself to try different methods, styles and products etc. I myself am not the worlds most skilled artists when it comes to drawing pictures etc, but am able to create interesting designed nail during nail art.
As with anything, i believe the more practice you have doing something the better you improve, and as long as you enjoy doing what it is your doing then success is bound to follow and the more confidence you ill gain in yourself!
Have fun and experiment!
Sas
~X~
:hug:​

.... and an 'eye' can be developed with good training that will make you a good living.

Yes! Agreed.

One thing I didn't realise until a few months ago is that, it's not only your physical techniques that can become better but also your "eye".

The way I see a set of nails created someone else, is a lot different to what I was seeing a couple of years ago. Which then makes my expectations higher as a nail tech.

Faults that I didn't see before, now slap me in the face, which encourages me to perfect my techniques.

Does that make sense?:)

My father had this quote on our family fridge throughout the later portion of my upbringing and I can't help but feel that it is really appropriate here.

[SIZE=+1] "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men [people] with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
--- Calvin Coolidge

And it makes sense that we are more persistent over the things that we love to do... there is that driving force.

Cheers,

Georgy

[/SIZE]

I'm afraid I haven't all this thread, so I apologise if I am repeating someone elses sentiment!

If you have 'the eye'...good for you. If you don't have 'the eye'...you can learn how to have it.

Whether you have it or not, to be sucessful you have to 'work your butts off'

A passion, a want, a determination, a need are all the things that will achieve success together with truly hard work.

Those that wait for success to find them or those that believe thay are due success and 'the world owes them a living' will never find it; with 'the eye' or not.

I think anyone can learn nails, a lot of people can be quite good at nails, producing quite goods set and maintain some clients but i think to excel you have to think out of the box! every set of nails to me is individual challenge where I can draw on past experience and what I have learnt from others to create a beautiful set which work well for the clients lifestyle. I've seen people in the past applying tip and overlay like on a production line some look good some look bad,some lasted some didnt!! they like doing nails but its like they're unaware you can customise a set

I must admitt (and i hope you dont think i'm blowing my own trumpit here) i have always been really artist i love drawing painting making thing love love love!!

So i think i was destine to do nails lol

I also think alot of it is finding something you can be passionate about, i've seen a few people with the ability but no passion and then it just doesn't work and you can tell in thier work aswell.

I also believe that if you are passionate about something you can work your but off to be good at that thing if you really want it!!

BUT i do believe that some people just have the nack if you know what i mean, it is alot harder for some people xxxx:green:xxxx

I think we all have to work our butts off whether we were born with it or not, just because people find it hard doesn't mean they won't be good and just because i've found that i was able to pick things up quickley doesn't mean that i haven't worked my socks off, i still am i don't have any socks!!!! xxx:lol:xxx

In life in order to master anything you have to practice, practice, practice. I practice in between clients especially if there is a gap or a no show. :)

Latest posts

Back