To be a nail tech'...Gifted or Worked your butt off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To be a good nail tech' .......is it a gift or just hard work?

• With enough practice anyone could.

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • A gift of dexterity is definately needed as well as practice.

Votes: 127 82.5%

• Total voters
Not sure what you mean by limiting?
In what way?
Well, you said if someone has not got the natural gift, they may be limited in what they can achieve....I think that limits people who don't think they have natural ability as a nail technician as I did when I first started. Why put limits on techs before they start to shine?

My personal take on that would be that you must have had it in the beginning but didn't realise it...
I believe that it's possible to have it and not know it but that it needs time to develop it, if that makes sense.
I didn't think I had it in the beginning, I reckon it was hiding, but that I delevloped it along the way.
Well I have no great philosophy on this, I fell into nails by accident, luckily I made good!

Well, you said if someone has not got the natural gift, they may be limited in what they can achieve....I think that limits people who don't think they have natural ability as a nail technician as I did when I first started. Why put limits on techs before they start to shine?
Oh I wouldn't say I was putting a limit on anyone. With enough dedication and training it is possible to achieve a high standard. However, going back to the example I used earlier about having an ear for music think of it this way:

Like I say, with enough dedication and training it is possible to teach someone how to play guitar, and to a very high standard.
But if they have no ear for music in the first place, they would be limited only playing music and not being able to compose or write music.

I know this sounds a little cranky but it's the only way I can describe what I mean.

I'm not trying to put anyone in there place, or trying to give the impression that "unless you got the eye, forget it".
I would never discourage anyone who has dedication and passion for what they do.
I hope this clears things up.

In my own opinion I don't believe in a natural gift or a natural talent. I think if you want something badly enough you will not stop until you have acheived it. I think you can become skilled and learned enough to develop 'an ear for music' or an 'eye for nails' for example, but I don't think it comes naturally. I always think that with enough tuition, determination and drive and lets face it, finances in some cases, that we can learn almost anything.

Nailzoo has often said that he can tell in the first wee while if someone has it or doesn't, I do feel that it is unfair imho, if someone has the will they have the way xx

Nailzoo has often said that he can tell in the first wee while if someone has it or doesn't, I do feel that it is unfair imho, if someone has the will they have the way xx
Totally agree...I learned the guitar and I was quite good, got my grades etc....I was never a Jimmy Page...pick up a guitar and play anything, although I was quite good at that on the recorder lol...I fell into nails and I was rubbish to begin with....you just ask the guy I took my further training with, he, I'm sure dispaired of me, but now, I make a living from it, even though I wasn't talented at the start of my nail career, I'm quite good now!

Totally agree...I learned the guitar and I was quite good, got my grades etc....I was never a Jimmy Page...pick up a guitar and play anything, although I was quite good at that on the recorder lol...I fell into nails and I was rubbish to begin with....you just ask the guy I took my further training with, he, I'm sure dispaired of me, but now, I make a living from it, even though I wasn't talented at the start of my nail career, I'm quite good now!

So can you play Greensleeves that same as me on the guitar????

I do agree with you there, it may take a bit of time to develop your skills, therefore impossible to say whether "someone has it or not" in the early stages of training.This brings up another question, can you actually teach dexterity?

So can you play Greensleeves that same as me on the guitar????
I bet I can in the classical vibe...maybe we could do a duet!

I do agree with you there, it may take a bit of time to develop your skills, therefore impossible to say whether "someone has it or not" in the early stages of training.This brings up another question, can you actually teach dexterity?
Can I ask why you choose the word 'dexterity'?

I personally think dexerity has to be self taught, of course you have to do your wrong hand.

Gordon Ramsay said he had to learn to chop with both hands incase he couldn't use his good hand.

I just had a conversation with Craig about dexterity.....he said it was about eye to hand coordination and skill and it's in you....he's a chef and can chop an onion at a thousand miles an hour, left or right handed, but in the same way he said he doesn't have the dexterity to play the guitar as his fingers wouldn't do it....I didn't even mention the guitar thing....so I guess, he says he has dexterity...so would he make a good nail technician? Nope, because he has no interest in nails.....what am I saying? I don't know either!:hug:

I just had a conversation with Craig about dexterity.....he said it was about eye to hand coordination and skill and it's in you....he's a chef and can chop an onion at a thousand miles an hour, left or right handed, but in the same way he said he doesn't have the dexterity to play the guitar as his fingers wouldn't do it....I didn't even mention the guitar thing....so I guess, he says he has dexterity...so would he make a good nail technician? Nope, because he has no interest in nails.....what am I saying? I don't know either!:hug:
Right I'll be round yours for dinner! I'm a guitarist too! So with 3 guitarists and a chef, we have the beginings of a great party! We'll have to start one up in Chit Chat.

I do believe that you need some natural talent to be a nail tech, but that talent can take a long time to be developed. As far as the "eye" thing, I think you need an eye for detail, and that your "eye" for nails developes as you learn more about how a nail should be structured.

I've worked in the same spa my entire career and I've seen alot of talented therapists come and go (estheticians, massage therapists, nail techs) but if you don't have a good business sense and people skills you will never go far.
Technical skills can be developed, but attitude is much harder to change!
It's a shame but to be successful it takes alot more than talent!
Its like a motorcycle. the back wheel is your technical skills, but the front wheel is your people skills. the front wheel steers you in the direction your gonna go.
Of course without the back wheel you won't go anywhere.

Grey area really............

There's nothing to say that, a person who hasn't got the natural gift, couldn't become a nail technician at all, but they maybe limited to what they can achieve.
Again just MHO

I do believe that you need some natural talent to be a nail tech, but that talent can take a long time to be developed. As far as the "eye" thing, I think you need an eye for detail, and that your "eye" for nails develops as you learn more about how a nail should be structured.

I actually agree with Tiger Jay....and to put it into one of your musical analogies!....some people may only be Pub musicians...whilst others go on to play the Stadiums!

I do think most people with reputable training can learn to put on a good looking set of nails...safely!!

However some people do just take to it, and are able to understand what you are telling them to do...and do it right away.
Others need a bit more...shall we say repetition, before brush techniques mix ratio etc are understood.

I shall say on a lot of my courses the slow starters have caught up with the ones who started off well...and I admit to being more proud of them as I know they put the blood sweat and tears in to it.
As for having an eye for nails.....I do think this comes with experience, it did for me, as I was a bit of a slow starter myself.

Yes their are people who let's face it will never put on a decent set of nails in a month of Sundays...I have found though that that is down to their attitude rather than their dexterity....and so far I have not had many on my Courses.

I know other Educators on site may not agree with me....but I can have an opinion!...I would be interested to see theirs.

I have not actually voted in the poll...as I agree with both statements.

I think it is something you can't really generalise on..every student is an individual and should only be judged on what work they produce.

I find this interesting as I was (before Christmas)for a a couple of weeks wearing nails I had done on one hand and another techs nails on the other.

The other tech was also trained by Creative has been qualified and working mobile for 4 years.

Her nails are horrible, the sidewalls are OK but thats about it. She is rough with her filing, there is no apex, there is a positive cliff at the edge of zone 3, zone 1 was too thick but they did last the full 2 weeks with no lifting.

The hand that I had done were correctly shaped, tapered at zone 3, the correct thickness in zone 1 and generally pleasing and realistic to look at. It wouldn't have won any competitions but you know what I mean. The only problem was that the nails did lift at the side walls and they did not all look the same as each other !

I have really been working hard on ratio, application and consistency and am now much improved but the other tech is thrilled with her nails and sees nothing wrong in them. She clearly mastered the technical side far more easily than me and is satisfied with what she produces (all square pink and whites on her clients). Incidentally she has no interest in this site and no interest in any further education.

Incidentally she has no interest in this site and no interest in any further education.

That is why she will still be singing in pubs...whist you are filling the stadiums lol!!!

A good technician requires dedication to her craft and ongoing education.

Latest posts

Back