Too expensive?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bexnorm

Reaction score
can anyone please let me know if I'm too expensive for my experience please?
I've just qualified and am getting everything together to start and go mobile doing nails and threading. Looked at other techs nearby to me (some offering opi,gelish and shellac) and they're charging between £20-27 for a gel polish manicure.

I'll be doing ibd just gel and thought of the prices as below:

Gel manicure (inc removal of own work and nail tidy) £18

Gel French £21

Nail art 50p-£1 per nail

Ibx £8

Luxury mani (shape tidy soak exfoliate massage with gel £28 French £31

Spa mani (as above no massage mitts) £24

Mini mani (shape tidy soak and nail buff) £10

Threading £8

Minimum call out £15

This is what I did on myself this morning

Attachments

• IMG_1690.JPG
    IMG_1690.JPG
    989.9 KB · Views: 281
BO9I9b-j9qp
This is what I did on my friend the other week.

You could charge those prices for 3 months, then raise them so your on a par with everyone else.

You could charge those prices for 3 months, then raise them so your on a par with everyone else.
Do you think? There are a few people in the same town (not right by me but near enough) using cheaper systems charging between £10-15 for gel manicure. So thought mine would be in between? Or would you base it more of quality of work rather than brand system?

Depends where your located beaut and what competition u have around u etc x

You don't want to end up in a race to the bottom with prices though.

Depends where your located beaut and what competition u have around u etc x
You don't want to end up in a race to the bottom with prices though.

Well there's such variety where I am. In Wiltshire but am right near Cirencester and Cotswold villages so would want to look to include them in my mobile areas (but have to inc mileage charge for now) as we're looking at moving house out of our town and back to a village. So want to make sure I'm offering a good service without being too cheap to attract the wrong type of customers I'd be after. I.e cheap chasers. But at the same time don't want to prove myself too expensive to compete with those who have been doing it 10+years when I've only just started and probably not as good as them. So no way would I go any lower than £15 for gel manicure.
Just don't want to over charge when I'm still learning and practicing but don't want to be too cheap for the products I'm using.

When starting out my suggestion would be to state the higher prices but then offer a discount price for a limited time. It's much easier do it this way round than implementing a price rise.

I agree with cfbs that way they will think there getting a bargain plus u dnt want to attract chavs xx

Lets keep our prices up girls - so sick of others going as low as poss and devaluing our profession. Your prices are just right I'd say and yes increase when you are ready.
You get what you pay for and some people simply can't afford a premium service which beauty is!
If I wanted a Ferrari but couldn't afford it, I wouldn't expect anyone to reduce it to a ridiculous price just to try the sale- but I wouldn't stop them either!
The best advice I got was that "not everyone is or has to be your customer" hard when you're starting out. But has allowed me to work less for the same money or earn more when I need to, but only by doing more work.
You have trained and worked hard and you ARE worth it lol x
Good luck and big hugs x

Are you comparing your prices to other mobile people of to salons?

Are you comparing your prices to other mobile people of to salons?
I've been looking at mobile prices as that's what I'll be doing. Some charge up to £30 for gel nails and I've seen others at £10! (Which I don't get to be honest. Making less than min wage, plus costs of fuel, products etc) it's really strange in my town.

When starting out my suggestion would be to state the higher prices but then offer a discount price for a limited time. It's much easier do it this way round than implementing a price rise.
I agree with cfbs that way they will think there getting a bargain plus u dnt want to attract chavs xx
Lets keep our prices up girls - so sick of others going as low as poss and devaluing our profession. Your prices are just right I'd say and yes increase when you are ready.
You get what you pay for and some people simply can't afford a premium service which beauty is!
If I wanted a Ferrari but couldn't afford it, I wouldn't expect anyone to reduce it to a ridiculous price just to try the sale- but I wouldn't stop them either!
The best advice I got was that "not everyone is or has to be your customer" hard when you're starting out. But has allowed me to work less for the same money or earn more when I need to, but only by doing more work.
You have trained and worked hard and you ARE worth it lol x
Good luck and big hugs x

Thank you! I might say they are an introductory offer and maybe add a couple of £. I know I'm doing everything by the book as I should do and not cutting corners in any way. Want to be as professional as possible and want my business to reflect that. I think it's just a confidence thing as never done it before! Worried about complaints and saying I'm not good enough for the price I'm charging.

But thank you! Your words have definitely helped! X

I've been looking at mobile prices as that's what I'll be doing. Some charge up to £30 for gel nails and I've seen others at £10! (Which I don't get to be honest. Making less than min wage, plus costs of fuel, products etc) it's really strange in my town.
Prices are the same everywhere! I honestly do not know why or how people charge £10. It is infuriating! X

This is interesting. I've just started out too and charge £18 for gelish manicure. I seem to attract the right clientele and have 2 return customers. I've just started to advertise outside of the school group and I just can't seem to get others through the door!! I think my pricing is ok. I am advertising £15 sets for valentines week and have shown photos with cool nail art but no interest!! Not sure where I'm going wrong, so frustrating!! Xx

Latest posts

Back