Top Coat Hell!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessicles

Reaction score
I have been in search of the perfect base and top coat since I started doing nails almost 3 years ago. At the salon I started at, I used mostly OPI. It worked well, but I needed a different top and basecoat for acrylics and natural nails. My boss had really no problem stocking all that I needed. Right before I left, we tried a new brand of polish (a company called CHI) and I fell in love with their base and top coat. I could use it on natural or artificial nails, it dried fast and lasted for like 2 weeks on natural nails. I was amazed. But the company still (3 months later) won't sell anything but an into pack with one base and topcoat and the same 6 colors...I can't order that every time I need top and base coat, which with the tiny bottles is easily ever 2-3 weeks.

I have since switched salons. At first, I just used what they had there. And I had clients call me just to tell me that their polish chipped off within a day or two. I had never had this problem before. (I've come to realize now that I was using Speedy as a top coat and Super Shiny as a basecoat because the bottles they were in no longer had the writing on it, and I didn't know what it was. I had never used Creative's top or base coats before.)

Well, I have since run out of the Chi top/basecoat...tried Seche Vite fast dry (which chipped, clients called) and don't dare try the stuff they had there, I think it was pretty old.

So basically, my question to you all is (sorry for the rambling :o )What top and basecoat do you use?

I would like to have one I can use on both enhancements and natural nails and dries relatively fast. It would also be good if the company my new salon orders from regularly carries it (They carry Creative, Pinnacle, Essie, China Glaze, Seche, NSI, Tammy Taylor, Star Nail, Nail Tek Zoya, Poshe, Diamond Dry, Orly, Star Nail, and a few more that are not as well known)...OPI would have to be special order.

Sorry for the rambling, it's just really been bothering me. My clients have been very patient, but I can't keep giving manicures where the polish only lasts a few days when I'm known for a 2 week manicure :(

Creative's stickey base coat and super shiney top coat,they are fab and many geeks will agree,hth x

I have tried, Out the door, and Super Shiney.. but I use Ez Flows Speed Finish just as a top coat..my old tech used to use it too, but not put it under uv just as a top coat.. and its fantastic.. dries quick, hard and very very shiney xxx

I love ChG Strong Adhesion or Orly Bonder as basecoats, both are fab in my experience. I have also heard that Zoya Anchor is very good. As a topcoat I like Orly Sec N Dry or ChG Fast Forward topcoat.
Could I ask what polishes the salon uses for it top/basecoats and its colours?

I love sticky base and looks wet, by creative but had a problem with looks wet that I still havent found the time to sort out, my fault not theirs, have been told that super shiny and out the door are also good but at the moment I am using NSI's one, only complaint is that it doesn't appear to come in a large bottle but I buy it from a local supplier not NSI them selves.

Stickey and Shiney for me too !

Marlise

I have tried loads got a box full of topcats which I have tried and tested. Got creative stickey and a few of their top coats but have to say my favourites are Orly bonder for the base - goes on very smooth and orly in a snap topcoat. just had someone in for a pedicure and I did a manicure on her over a week ago. her nails were still perfect!

Could I ask what polishes the salon uses for it top/basecoats and its colours?

Well, I've been there less than two months, so I haven't got the seniority to just ask the owner to order everything I want. But I won't sacrifice a good base and top coat. They have OPI and Creative polishes, but not many. I have recently been given a 100 dollar budget to order new polishes, for salon use and retail. Which is why I'm asking what to order. We can place a special order for the OPI colors, I was just hoping I didn't have to order just topcoat and basecoat from that company all the time, seems a waste.

I am pretty sure, from looking at the beauty book, that the top coats they had were Speedy and SuperShiny. They only had two bottles...one was pink and unlabled and the other I could make out Speedey on it. Since I hadn't used Creative's topcoats before, I just assumed the pink was basecoat because it was thicker and then used Speedy for topcoat. So yeah..I've learned that I was using (for about 2 weeks) topcoat for basecoat. THough, I think they were using the Speedy as both before I got there..which I can't imagine held polish for more than a day or two.

I have tried loads got a box full of topcats which I have tried and tested. Got creative stickey and a few of their top coats but have to say my favourites are Orly bonder for the base - goes on very smooth and orly in a snap topcoat. just had someone in for a pedicure and I did a manicure on her over a week ago. her nails were still perfect!

I have never used Orly before, but if the Creative stuff still doesn't work for me, I think I will have to give that a try. :) Thanks.

I have tried, Out the door, and Super Shiney.. but I use Ez Flows Speed Finish just as a top coat..my old tech used to use it too, but not put it under uv just as a top coat.. and its fantastic.. dries quick, hard and very very shiney xxx

I have always liked EZFlow, but their products are not readily available here. It's hard to repeatedly ask a salon owner to make special orders for little things from companies she never orders from when, up until now, they got everything from one company. :o

We use OPI top coat and base coat on both enhancements and natural nails and have no problems whatsoever.

We use OPI top coat and base coat on both enhancements and natural nails and have no problems whatsoever.

Which base coat do you mean? The pink, natural nail basecoat? I only know of a few OPI basecoats...the natural nail, the acrylic and the start to finish, which can be both.

I use the Creative complete 411 range, This way I can adapt to each clients needs. Other than that I'm with the others on Stickey and Super Shiney.

Which base coat do you mean? The pink, natural nail basecoat? I only know of a few OPI basecoats...the natural nail, the acrylic and the start to finish, which can be both.
Yes the pink base coat,for enhancements and natural.

Orly Bonder and Sec n Dry are the best, I even guarantee my polish to clients for 10 - 14 days and any more days is a bonus.

I wouldnt even bother with anything else now, as I have found the best results.

Try using a sanitizer first before the base coat just to doubly make sure the nail is squeeky clean.

Orly Bonder and Sec n Dry are the best, I even guarantee my polish to clients for 10 - 14 days and any more days is a bonus.

I wouldnt even bother with anything else now, as I have found the best results.

Try using a sanitizer first before the base coat just to doubly make sure the nail is squeeky clean.

Yes, I use scrubfresh to throughly clean the nail plate. And before I switched, I used OPI's chip skip on top of that. Worked really well.

I might have to give this Orly stuff a try :p

Latest posts

Back