touch up after a week

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundial

Reaction score
Hi everyone, you might remember my last thread about nails that after sculpting never look nice if they are tiny nail plates, dry cracked skin around the nail etc, well the lady is booked in tomorrow after a week for a touch up. she said that she has had loads of good comments about them and people asking where they were done, which really pleased me ,but when I looked at them tonight they had a bit of lift on them, and also she said that she had chipped a couple and she wanted them touched up so she could show off a great set again, she also said that she was being really good using the solar oil twice a day and she uses rubber gloves for cleaning. Well my question to you all is should they really have lasted a bit longer? and I know that lifting is down to mix ratio and touching skin but could the condition of her nails and dry skin cause them to lift?, im not trying to blame something else, but I wanted to know if this could be a factor? Any help would be appreciated,
thanks all:hug:

It sounds like she is doing it all correct using the solar oil and wearing gloves but it may be worth telling her to apply solAr oil before puttinG the gloves on as they can help to dry the skin out as well due to the starches in them.

scattyfox said:
It sounds like she is doing it all correct using the solar oil and wearing gloves but it may be worth telling her to apply solAr oil before puttinG the gloves on as they can help to dry the skin out as well due to the starches in them.
Ah, never thought of that, thanks, will tell her tomorrow, cheers:wink2: So could this cause lifting as well?

it depends where the lift is i wouldnt have thought that dry skin would have caused lifting but maybe if you havent removed all of the skin as the nails as so small this may contribute to lifting as would touching the skin with the product.

scattyfox said:
it depends where the lift is i wouldnt have thought that dry skin would have caused lifting but maybe if you havent removed all of the skin as the nails as so small this may contribute to lifting as would touching the skin with the product.
Could be skin, she had a lot to remove, will do a massive prep etc tomorrow and will let you know how I get on, thanks for the advice :biggrin:

I always ask nailbiters to come back within a week anyways, usually their nails grow quite quickly initially, I put this down to the stimulation of having a set applied, personally, i expect a little bit of lift in nail biters, i also go the moisturiser route rather than lashings of oil, oil can lift them. I explain all this to clients when they make their appointment, i'm confident, but i'm no miracle worker.

nailzoo said:
I always ask nailbiters to come back within a week anyways, usually their nails grow quite quickly initially, I put this down to the stimulation of having a set applied, personally, i expect a little bit of lift in nail biters, i also go the moisturiser route rather than lashings of oil, oil can lift them. I explain all this to clients when they make their appointment, i'm confident, but i'm no miracle worker.
That's interesting about the oil, I sold solar oil to my client and told her to use it twice daily and she said that she has been really good and using it as told, maybe this is having some effect and causing it too lift, another lady that I applied enhancements on lasted 3 weeks and were great, she never used any oil, mmm it's making me wonder now. How can I tell her to stop using the oil when I sold it to her:eek: .

just ask her to give the oil a break until her next fill, if theres no lift, then you have found a possible culprit, solar oil is fabulous (great for fixing up damaged cuticles), but it's not the holy grail, many suntan oils cause lift also.
And before anyone jumps on my back for product bashing, i'm not bashing, merely stating the fact that oils "can" cause lifting, i think we all know this

nailzoo said:
just ask her to give the oil a break until her next fill, if theres no lift, then you have found a possible culprit, solar oil is fabulous (great for fixing up damaged cuticles), but it's not the holy grail, many suntan oils cause lift also.
And before anyone jumps on my back for product bashing, i'm not bashing, merely stating the fact that oils "can" cause lifting, i think we all know this
do we !!

jac extreme said:

Im confused now - i havent got to the aftercare part of my course yet but I have had a set of enhancements done a couple of weeks ago and I was told to put oil on them morning and night, which I have done and 2 of them fell off after a week! Could i have been putting too much oil on? I did notice that there was liquid under the overlay as when i pressed lightly on them it was moving about. I have re-tipped the 2 nails that came off myself and they look much better, and they feel like they have adhered properly this time. The rest of my set have been ok though but could the oil have got under the overlay if I put it on too much?
Also the oil i was sold is almond oil, which is yellow. I have noticed after a few days that the white tips start to have a yellow tinge (i dont smoke) and I have to buff it off and apply topcoat every few days. Could the oil be doing this too?

harvey said:
Im confused now - i havent got to the aftercare part of my course yet but I have had a set of enhancements done a couple of weeks ago and I was told to put oil on them morning and night, which I have done and 2 of them fell off after a week! Could i have been putting too much oil on? I did notice that there was liquid under the overlay as when i pressed lightly on them it was moving about. I have re-tipped the 2 nails that came off myself and they look much better, and they feel like they have adhered properly this time. The rest of my set have been ok though but could the oil have got under the overlay if I put it on too much?
Also the oil i was sold is almond oil, which is yellow. I have noticed after a few days that the white tips start to have a yellow tinge (i dont smoke) and I have to buff it off and apply topcoat every few days. Could the oil be doing this too?
hi Harvey, you nail problems are more likely to be due to poor application than anything else, sounds like they lifted and moisture got underneath them, nothing to do with oil also maybe your top coat is not that great.

Oils that contain LANOLIN can aid lifting.

Solar Oil DOESN'T aid lifting, it conditions the nailplate even when wearing enhancements, it helps to stop the enhancement from going brittle, keeping them supple. It is a light, penetrating oil, much lighter than other oils.

If the client was a nail biter prior to having enhancements then the chances are that she has had her new nails in her mouth, therefore helping the enhancement to lift. Biting is a bad habit to break, having her nails in her mouth is normal for her, it's a natural thing for her to do so she probably won't even realise she's doing it.

jac extreme said:
hi Harvey, you nail problems are more likely to be due to poor application than anything else, sounds like they lifted and moisture got underneath them, nothing to do with oil also maybe your top coat is not that great.

Thanks for the advice, I had thought they were just not applied very well until I read this post! What is the best topcoat to keep them looking nice, in your opinion?

i'm sure some will experiment and find some useful advice, others will remain "sold"
what works for one, may not always work for others
poor application + oils will lead to disaster, please, please, try no oil, any brand, any kind

nailzoo said:
i'm sure some will experiment and find some useful advice, others will remain "sold"
what works for one, may not always work for others
poor application + oils will lead to disaster, please, please, try no oil, any brand, any kind

Maybe because I have quite oily skin, applying extra oil is a bit much then, or does this make no difference?

I'm 'sold' on Solar Oil, and have been since I was first retailed it by a nail tech I used to go to years ago. The results are the only proof I need to know it's fab stuff.
Ofcourse, there are, and always will be, those who disagree with using 'branded' products!

Harvey said:
What is the best topcoat to keep them looking nice?
SuperShiney, Speedey or Out The Door, finished with a spritz of Solar Speed Spray :D (IMO)
Other techs have different opinions of what they consider to be the 'best' topcoat, it's more a case of trial and error until you find one that works well not only for you but your clients too.

ValencianNails said:
I'm 'sold' on Solar Oil, and have been since I was first retailed it by a nail tech I used to go to years ago. The results are the only proof I need to know it's fab stuff.
Ofcourse, there are, and always will be, those who disagree with using 'branded' products!

SuperShiney, Speedey or Out The Door, finished with a spritz of Solar Speed Spray :D (IMO)
Other techs have different opinions of what they consider to be the 'best' topcoat, it's more a case of trial and error until you find one that works well not only for you but your clients too.

Thanks its nice to have opinions from those in the know, being new to this xx

helen

All I know is that wearing enhancements and not using Solar Oil means that within a week zone 3 is dry, brittle and lifting. Using Solar Oil daily keeps mine flexible, supple and shiny.

One of my clients was suffering terrible breakages and on questioning admitted she wasn't using Solar Oil, I gave her another pinkie bottle and at last night's appt had only broken 2...... She is (hopefully) going to keep oiling!

I have only used Solar Oil, so can't comment on any other....

People ..... nails that lift after as short a time period as a week tells me that the product was never really ON in the first place.

Either incomplete prep ... poor application techniques .... other culprits that we all know including the client.

Once a product has lifted, applying oil of any type does not help the situation and I agree with Nailzoo on this point. I also agree that there are NO guarantees with nail biters. the usual rules go out the window with these people because you can't trust them as far as you can see them. Many are the cause of their own problems. But coupled with a new nail tech as well ... disaster. Newbies should not be tackling problem nails at this stage in their learning curve.

Using Solar Oil is a huge part of the home care process of Creative Nail Enhancements .. this is of course assuming that you are a good technician who has applied the product well etc etc.

Students do not apply the product either expertly or well and I'm sure your lifting is not due to use of Solar Oil but rather inexpert application and incomplete prep.

Those of you who have been taught to use Solar Oil and the reasons for doing so should do it. Follow the manufacturer's advice on this.

Latest posts

Back