TPTW .....Jamie's Fowl Dinners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie's Fowl Dinners

• Yes, I care about the welfare of the animal and will make a better choice in the future

Votes: 35 77.8%
  • No ..... it's all about price, I don't care where it comes from, or how it's treated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe ..... I'd like to change, but the price prevents me

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Who Cares ......... it's just a chicken

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
Im not so much proud of it, but it is how i feel, so im not ashamed either. And no, not even if it were kittens or puppies would it bother me. Although that IS a completely different issue as they are kept as domestic animals in the UK, not food, much like your chickens. Even though they produce eggs for you, they are basically pets, you have named them!!

At the end of the day there are far worse things going on in the world than chickens being reared for meat in a way that some people may believe is unethical.

But let me ask, how many of those people have an item of clothing in their wrehouse that originated from a tiny sweat shop full of underage workers being expolited. How many of them wear leather shoes or even have a leather sofa from cows that may not be free range?! exactly.

I'd say that people who are concerned about the above matters make it a point to find out where their items come from, people who don't care obviously don't bother - that's their choice. I want to feel at ease with myself knowing I have bought as 'ethically' as possible, there'll always be people who don't bother, who have no interest whatsoever in how their food/clothing etc has been treated/manufactured, again, a very sad fact.

I always find it hard to understand the "who cares about the animals, there are people being treated just as bad in the world" argument. I could never trust or respect a person who condoned animal cruelty. I have much more faith in a person and their character if they show all round compassion for humans and animals. Sadly, this world is full of cruelty, none of which is fair, but if we have the means to try to change a part of it, then those of us who want to should be allowed to without being made to feel guilty that they haven't cured the world of cruelty to humans before trying to make some animals lives a little easier.

Anyway Ive had my say, Ive seen first hand how some animals are treated, and while weve mentioned puppies and kittens, if ever you were to see a puppy farm, you would be sick to your stomach!

I'll say no more!

xxxxxx:hug:

I've seen them too Hayls, another deplorable practice which the Government really should clamp down on, I've been in tears over it and some images will haunt me forever.

No, sorry, but who is trying to make who feel guilty with those pictures?! Do you see me telling you that your choice is wrong and you should be ashamed?! No. So Im not making anyone feel guilty about their choices, same as im not going to be made to feel guilty about my opinions on the matter. (please note, i dont say MY choices because i dont do the shopping, nor do i eat chicken / meat often anyway, and if i do i just eat what my mom buys, which may or may not be free range, i really dont know.) and for the record, i dont condone animal cruelty, but im afraid i dont see the 'animals' we eat as actual animals, they are livestock, food.

We live in a country with a freedom to choose and I'll respect the choice anyone makes, what ever my own view. If anyone feels very strongly they can only eat organically raised chickens then fine but no one should be made to feel bad for how they choose/need to eat :hug:

Last edited:
Oh I'm off for a pot noodle...that's not got anything bad in it has it??:lol:
Don't give me hell for additives please!!

no judy, it's fine, you can kill yourself with all the junk in a pot noodle :D

but im afraid i dont see the 'animals' we eat as actual animals, they are livestock, food.

That's probably the problem with everyone who doesn't care, which is very sad.

Animals shouldn't be treated according to which 'category' they fit in, a farm animal has every right to be treated as well as a family pet - in terms of physical and mental torture, that is, obviously we're not talking about sharing your sofa with a pig like one might a dog, although I do know someone with a pot bellied pig who does sleep on the sofa.

If you're happy eating the meat/poultry you eat knowing how it lived it's short life, then fine, that's your choice but a lot of people eat meat/poultry etc., without knowing how the animals are treated and some people actually DO care about that, and that was why I put the pictures up. They are hardly the most disturbing images I've seen (has anyone ever seen the horrendous video of the staff in a famous turkey farm using live turkey as a 'ball' and hitting them across the barn with baseball bats - now that was disturbing) but still enough to make some people stop and think about where their food comes from and how it was treated before it died.

More and more people have changed their views and eating habits which is great, and that's what Jamie and Hugh's programmes were all about, there'll always be the "don't care" brigade, but I'm proud to be someone who does care!

Jackie
Owner of Pandora, Poppy, Portia & Pansy
Happy Free Range Chooks!

(has anyone ever seen the horrendous video of the staff in a famous turkey farm using live turkey as a 'ball' and hitting them across the barn with baseball bats - now that was disturbing) but still enough to make some people stop and think about where their food comes from and how it was treated before it died.

saw that on the news ...that sickened me :eek:but they were sacked and fined

Last edited:

As long as it's not a Beef & Tomato one...... remember the Sudan 1 scare! :twisted:

Depends if it's chicken or mushroom flavour really!!!!:lol::lol:

(has anyone ever seen the horrendous video of the staff in a famous turkey farm using live turkey as a 'ball' and hitting them across the barn with baseball bats - now that was disturbing)

Thats down to sick individuals though, not how the turkey was raised really isnt it. They could have done that to it wether it was in a field, farm or factory. They are probably the type of people that would make their kids fight for a laugh. :eek:

so yes, that is unneccesary animal cruelty, and Im not saying that thats ok. its clearly not and people like that should be put on the receiving end and see how they like it.

however when animals are born and raised for food, providing they arent victim to unneccesary cruelty as described above, then they are just fulfilling their destiny. If they werent bred to eat then they wouldnt have even been put on earth at all, so i dont really see why the farmer should be obliged to breed them in a certain way (other than to a basic standard iykwim).

Hmm now I'm out of my depth because I feel like a bad person even though I'm not.
For one thing I don't watch much TV.
For another I was brought up to eat what was put in front of me and not question it because if so, you basically went hungry.
Animals (to me) are not the same as human beings. I'm sorry but I will state the truth even if it makes people get a bad reaction.
All the adds they put on TV when the kids programmes are on...sponser a dog...poor Frank was left out to die but we rescued him..just send us ££££ and you can adopt him.
My little girl ACTUALLY thinks that if you send the money they send you Frank.:rolleyes:
My Pet Friends UK | Pets UK | Pet News | Pet Directory | Pet Services - Battery Hen – your next pet?
How many people feel this type of thing is a con?

saw that on the news ...that sickened me :eek:

Wasn't it horrendous? I hope they strung those guys up by their b**** for that, but of course they probably only got a fine and maybe sacked. How people can get enjoyment from doing something like that, I just don't know. But that's another thread in the making.....!

The Battery Hen Welfare Trust is actually a bona fide animal charity that pays farmers 50p for each bird they rescue. It's not a "send us a donation and we'll send you a chicken" sort of thing.

They rescue thousands of chickens each year from battery farms where they've lived around a year in a cage and reached the end of their optimum egg production. People with an interest in chicken keeping (such as myself) who would like to rehome a battery chicken pay around £1.00 per bird - a lot of them don't survive the night due to the conditions they've been kept in for the last year. Most of the people who take on the rescue birds do so in an attempt to give them a better life than they had previously. The ones that don't get rescued are sent to slaughter and the meat goes into things like frozen foods and baby food etc.

They do great work - here's a link to their website:

Battery Hen Welfare Trust

If they werent bred to eat then they wouldnt have even been put on earth at all, so i dont really see why the farmer should be obliged to breed them in a certain way (other than to a basic standard iykwim).

That's the problem Kate, the basic standard is causing suffering and pain to these animals, albeit not with a baseball bat, but pain and suffering is what they are getting, which is why some people are trying to get the standards raised to an acceptable level.

so really, if you eat any kind of processed food with chicken in it there is no escape from it...?

you have no choice but to either make your own baby food (which im sure plenty will agree is almost impossible if your a busy working mom) or go give them baby food that has non free range meat in it?!

they're not really makig it easy are they.

so really, if you eat any kind of processed food with chicken in it there is no escape from it...?

you have no choice but to either make your own baby food (which im sure plenty will agree is almost impossible if your a busy working mom) or go give them baby food that has non free range meat in it?!

they're not really makig it easy are they.

Manufacturers are slowly listening to their customers - I can now happily eat Hellmans Mayo and Cadbury's Creme Eggs knowing that they've changed over to using Free Range Eggs in their products. But yes, the majority of processed food will have non-free range meat/eggs in it, unless otherwise stated.

After seeing what goes into some of these foods I'd never touch them again. I used to LOVE Hot Dogs - I hate Jamie Oliver for showing me how they are produced because I haven't touched one since.

Kind of digressing here, but when you buy a frozen take away meal from the supermarket, have a look at the ingredients. If it lists 'Cochineal' (it's used as a red food dye) then you're actually eating crushed cockroaches - nice eh?

It's all down to knowing what you're eating and making decisions based on that knowledge, sometime I wonder if I'd be better off eating in ignorance, but then I think of those cockroaches......... :eek:

but cadburys eggs are made of chocolate, not real eggs lol.
oh, and i would probably eat a cockroach anyway, so that doesnt bother me! :lol:

Manufacturers are slowly listening to their customers - I can now happily eat Hellmans Mayo and Cadbury's Creme Eggs knowing that they've changed over to using Free Range Eggs in their products. But yes, the majority of processed food will have non-free range meat/eggs in it, unless otherwise stated.

After seeing what goes into some of these foods I'd never touch them again. I used to LOVE Hot Dogs - I hate Jamie Oliver for showing me how they are produced because I haven't touched one since.

Kind of digressing here, but when you buy a frozen take away meal from the supermarket, have a look at the ingredients. If it lists 'Cochineal' (it's used as a red food dye) then you're actually eating crushed cockroaches - nice eh?

It's all down to knowing what you're eating and making decisions based on that knowledge, sometime I wonder if I'd be better off eating in ignorance, but then I think of those cockroaches......... :eek:

Well you just HAD to tell me didn't you:lol:
They better not be in Spicy Curry pot noodles/supernoodles or my life will consist of toast, crumpets and Heinz beans and sausages with cheese melted in.:irked:
I don't want any cockroaches gettin stuck in my teeth!!!

I notice no-one else dares to say the same on the poll??!!
Chickens*its lmao:lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back