TPTW .....Jamie's Fowl Dinners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie's Fowl Dinners

• Yes, I care about the welfare of the animal and will make a better choice in the future

Votes: 35 77.8%
  • No ..... it's all about price, I don't care where it comes from, or how it's treated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe ..... I'd like to change, but the price prevents me

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Who Cares ......... it's just a chicken

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
oh, and i would probably eat a cockroach anyway, so that doesnt bother me! :lol:

:eek: I don't want to go there :eek:

Cadbury's Creme Eggs contain a small amount of egg in the fondant centre - which is now Free Range rather than Battery Egg. I ate them for years without realising it, and then had to stop. Now I'm so happy I can eat them with a clear conscience again. Well, I would be able to eat them if I wasn't on a diet!

Well you just HAD to tell me didn't you:lol:
They better not be in Spicy Curry pot noodles/supernoodles or my life will consist of toast, crumpets and Heinz beans and sausages with cheese melted in.:irked:
I don't want any cockroaches gettin stuck in my teeth!!!

Check the ingredients of any ready meal with a red food colouring in it - I did it once in the supermarket - chicken tikka masala is a favourite for cochineal.

Bl**dy hell Jackie....I'm astounded by all this!!
Luckily my main diet is crap atm (not great but I manage to keep stuff down which is good for me now) but I do eat fruit too!!
I don't like chocolate luckily but have to admit if we go out to eat (as we did tonight for my eldests birthday to Frankie and Bennys) I had a chicken caeser salad.
Thinking.... it's the healthiest low fat option. I'm not dieting as such but like to keep my calories in check. Plus... overeating makes me feel sick. And I'm not a lover of red meat of any description.
So was the chuck I ate tonight bad??

Bl**dy hell Jackie....I'm astounded by all this!!
Luckily my main diet is crap atm (not great but I manage to keep stuff down which is good for me now) but I do eat fruit too!!
I don't like chocolate luckily but have to admit if we go out to eat (as we did tonight for my eldests birthday to Frankie and Bennys) I had a chicken caeser salad.
Thinking.... it's the healthiest low fat option. I'm not dieting as such but like to keep my calories in check. Plus... overeating makes me feel sick. And I'm not a lover of red meat of any description.
So was the chuck I ate tonight bad??

It probably didn't have any crushed beetles in it :lol: but if they don't say Free Range on the menu then it's more than likely the standard barn bred which do have a high fat content, mainly because the poor buggers have no room to move around once they grow - and they grow quick!

I've just done a quick search on Google and found this article, wish I hadn't now, I'll definately be thinking twice about strawberry yoghurt in future....

What's in My Food? - AOL Money & Finance

I've just done a quick search on Google and found this article, wish I hadn't now, I'll definately be thinking twice about strawberry yoghurt in future....

What's in My Food? - AOL Money & Finance

mmmm i hope the 'fruity bits' are chunks of cockroach lol. :D

(did you notice the link for nail art at the bottom of that page?! lol)

Check the ingredients of any ready meal with a red food colouring in it - I did it once in the supermarket - chicken tikka masala is a favourite for cochineal.

A lot of lipsticks also contain this, amazingly enough, even the ones that say not tested on animal....no but definitely containing them! (or certainly did a couple of years back - some manufacturues are getting slightly more ethical now)....

you have no choice but to either make your own baby food (which im sure plenty will agree is almost impossible if your a busy working mom)

I'm a busy working mum, I have a successful nails and beauty business, work voluntarily as a breastfeeding counsellor and supporter for at least 8 hours a week (often twice that amount), I write as an author and journalist for several publications, am a director of 2 further businesses, am just starting a small marketing company for my locality, and find it a darn site easier (and cheaper) to make the same meal for all of us out of healthy fresh ingredients than start faffing about with buying and warming jars of baby slush. And thats been the case since the day my daughter started eating solids.

What can be easier than taking the same as you are eating and initially pureeing it (60 secs in a blender), then when they're a bit older just mashing it (or 30 secs in a blender), then when they have teeth, giving them the chance to chew a bit (10 secs in a blender). I find this tons easier than actually having to go out and buy seperate baby food, and warm it seperately and eveything....

Sorry, but you did say its almost impossible.....its not, its waaaaaay easier to be honest!

well i am neither a mom, nor do i cook lol. Im just going on what i hear every day about moms being sooo busy!! lol.

What about ready cooked chucks in supermarkets??
They are yummy but it never says anything about their parents....well ya know what I mean lol etc??
Jackie...pls don't put me off them...I luuuuuurve them:mad:
I've not got a man and NOW I DON'T EVEN HAVE A CHICKEN.
How will life go on.......??
:lol::hug:
I shall be a spinster forever eating beansprouts and making gowns on my machine for a princess and wishing....... ppppppprrrrrppppp
No I don't think so... lmao U want a girl to suffer wind????? x:lol::lol::lol:

Kind of digressing here, but when you buy a frozen take away meal from the supermarket, have a look at the ingredients. If it lists 'Cochineal' (it's used as a red food dye) then you're actually eating crushed cockroaches - nice eh?

It's all down to knowing what you're eating and making decisions based on that knowledge, sometime I wonder if I'd be better off eating in ignorance, but then I think of those cockroaches......... :eek:

I'm prepared to be wrong but to the best of my knowledge cochineal isn't derived from cockroaches. It is bug based but not from that species.They are soft bodied rather than a beetle.

It is splitting hairs I know, its still a bug but this is a colouring used right back to ancient times and given that we eat so many living creatures I dont know why a colouring derived from another living species should be anything to blink at.

What about ready cooked chucks in supermarkets??
They are yummy but it never says anything about their parents....well ya know what I mean lol etc??
Jackie...pls don't put me off them...I luuuuuurve them:mad:
I've not got a man and NOW I DON'T EVEN HAVE A CHICKEN.
How will life go on.......??
:lol::hug:
I shall be a spinster forever eating beansprouts and making gowns on my machine for a princess and wishing....... ppppppprrrrrppppp
No I don't think so... lmao U want a girl to suffer wind????? x:lol::lol::lol:

Stop - I'm trying to be serious and you're making me PMSL!! :lol::lol::lol:

My local hot deli supermarket staff hide when they see me coming - they're sick to death of me asking if they have any free range cooked chicken for sale yet? I wouldn't buy it even if they did say yes cos I'm sure they'd be lying - I just like seeing them run in the opposite direction!

When I go over to the UK I used to go to Asda with my mum and always buy a bag of their chicken thighs in various flavours (garlic & bbq being my favourite) and devour them on the way home. Can't do that now, and it kills me to walk past the counter, they smell so good, but I've made a promise to myself and have to stick with it - I never said it was easy!!

And you can keep yer wind to yerself - my dog suffocates me enough with hers!

We would eat bugs in the wild if there was nothing else ..maggots are quite nutritious and full of protein...yumyum

I'm prepared to be wrong but to the best of my knowledge cochineal isn't derived from cockroaches. It is bug based but not from that species.They are soft bodied rather than a beetle.

It is splitting hairs I know, its still a bug but this is a colouring used right back to ancient times and given that we eat so many living creatures I dont know why a colouring derived from another living species should be anything to blink at.

You're right Min, it's not a cockroach (poetic licence!) but I've only ever heard of them being described as beetles - maybe someone else using their poetic licence!

As you said, still a bug, and if it's in the food I'm buying I'd want to know about it, so many companies still just list it as 'food colouring'!

Nice looking things, aren't they?

cochinilla.jpg

We would eat bugs in the wild if there was nothing else ..

The bugs don't survive without plants and trees.....I think I'd rather eat those!

No way am I eating anything that gives me WIND!!!! HELLO!!!
I know it's a serious debate but you all know me well enough to know that my boys eat the house..literally and I eat whats left with Rach:lol:
It's not much...we're contemplating a fridge in my bedroom....no joke! But it will have to be hidden under the bed. No kidding I swear.
What about our dairylea things we eat with chicken and dairylea and crackers?...IN BED.
Are they bad too? We love them as our snuggly treat while watching naff dvds :cry:

No way am I eating anything that gives me WIND!!!! HELLO!!!
I know it's a serious debate but you all know me well enough to know that my boys eat the house..literally and I eat whats left with Rach:lol:
It's not much...we're contemplating a fridge in my bedroom....no joke! But it will have to be hidden under the bed. No kidding I swear.
What about our dairylea things we eat with chicken and dairylea and crackers?...IN BED.
Are they bad too? We love them as our snuggly treat while watching naff dvds :cry:

Judy - you're beyond redemption!! :lol:

You're right Min, it's not a cockroach (poetic licence!) but I've only ever heard of them being described as beetles - maybe someone else using their poetic licence!

As you said, still a bug, and if it's in the food I'm buying I'd want to know about it, so many companies still just list it as 'food colouring'!

cochinilla.jpg

mmmm tasty.....reminds me of one of my ex husbands....I chewed him up and spat him out as I remember:lol: :lol:

mmmm tasty.....reminds me of one of my ex husbands....I chewed him up and spat him out as I remember:lol: :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: nice one!

Just wanted to add,a friend of ours catches chickens,he get's so much per crate,he will never eat chicken again,he has seen terrible conditions a pitch black closed barn with a stench so bad it makes you eyes run,but he won't eat free range either. Unless someone is with that animal you can not ever be sure of how it's be treated.I don't really feel i need to say more than that,it's just something to think about

cochinilla.jpg

Thats the first picture that appears if you search for the cochineal insect on Google images but thats not the insect. The pictures here are them, the red one is the female, the winged insect is the male.

Dactylopius2a.jpg

CochinealMale1a.jpg

Latest posts

Back