Tray lashes vs loose lashes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shell-Perfect10

Reaction score
Hi there,
I do lash perfect semi permanent lashes and also glam lash lash in a flash. Now anyone that does express lashes will know they are done with lashes in a tray on a sticky strip which I usually stick to my hand (I don't really know how best to describe them so I hope yous know what I mean) and the semi permanent lashes are done with loose lashes.
Is there any reason you can't do semi permanent lashes with the tray lashes? I find it so so much easier getting the lashes of the strip rather than picking them up individually.

Advice pls xxxx

Yes the semi-perm lashes can be done with the tray lashes :)

We use the tray lashes for SP lashes. I couldn't imagine using loose lashes. We were taught suing trays aswell. X

We use the tray lashes for SP lashes. I couldn't imagine using loose lashes. We were taught suing trays aswell. X

I'm the exact opposite! Was taught with loose lashes, and when tried tray lashes just couldn't cope!

Hi there,
I do lash perfect semi permanent lashes and also glam lash lash in a flash. Now anyone that does express lashes will know they are done with lashes in a tray on a sticky strip which I usually stick to my hand (I don't really know how best to describe them so I hope yous know what I mean) and the semi permanent lashes are done with loose lashes.
Is there any reason you can't do semi permanent lashes with the tray lashes? I find it so so much easier getting the lashes of the strip rather than picking them up individually.

Advice pls xxxx

You guys will probably dislike this, but I personally feel that using tray lashes with a strip on your hand, touching the client, and then touching the lashes with the tweezers between clients is unhygienic. It seems like a great way to transfer lash mites.

You guys will probably dislike this, but I personally feel that using tray lashes with a strip on your hand, touching the client, and then touching the lashes with the tweezers between clients is unhygienic. It seems like a great way to transfer lash mites.

Strip goes on the back of your SANITIZED hand. You don't touch a client with that part of your hand. Lashes are on the opposite side of strip that is stuck to your hand :) there is no contact between your and clients skin as tweezers don't touch it either. And clients lashes are cleaned prior to procedure :) unless I'm missing the point xxx

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using Tapatalk 2

I was goign to say the same thing as Jurate. Not at any point do the tweezers touch the clients lashes only the synthetic lash.

Health Canada would also agree with this. Once the strip has been stuck to you doing one client, it is contaminated for further use on another client. Lash mites isn't the only thing that can transfer. I had a client come down with pink eye while I was working on her. Eye infections are also a big concern in this industry. I count out my lashes from the strip lashes prior to the service and line them up on a piece of tape. I never use a strip of lashes on my hand. This takes less than five minutes. Or another option is a half a strip. Remember it is your reputation as a tech that matters the most. It would not be good for business if it ever got around that someone got an eye infection after having you do their lashes. Spoolies are also one per client, whether they have washes their lashes or not. These are the things that our clients are trusting us to know and follow. :eek:

If there is an issue with contamination, which I cannot see at all, then all you would need to do is remove the last 2 or 3 lashes on the strip, as these would be the only lashes that your tweezers may have touched when picking off a lash.

Strip goes on the back of your SANITIZED hand. You don't touch a client with that part of your hand. Lashes are on the opposite side of strip that is stuck to your hand :) there is no contact between your and clients skin as tweezers don't touch it either. And clients lashes are cleaned prior to procedure :) unless I'm missing the point xxx

No, I'm not referring to touching your skin. I know people usually wear a glove on the hand that the lashes stick to, anyways.

I'm talking about your tweezers picking a lash off of the strip, dipping it, applying it to the clients lash. Then during the treatment, you will most likely use those same tweezers to help isolate a lash, or to pull stuck lashes away from each other when you separate. Those tweezers will at some point touch the clients natural lashes. Then you go back to the strip and pluck an extension and undoubtably touch some of the other extensions on the strip that remain on the strip. You finish the set, next client comes in, and you're putting those same extensions that touched the previous clients lashes (via your last pair of tweezers) on that person.

It's cross contamination. Even if you use a prep, you're not going to kill the demodex mites that naturally live on everyones lashes and eat sebum out of their lash follicles. Some people have more or less than others, but everyone has them. So effectively, by using tray strips, you risk putting someone else's lash mites on another person. Which doesn't always, but can cause irritation. If it doesn't cause side effects, it's still unsanitary.

Lash prep helps the bond of the glue, usually by drying the lash out a bit. It's not a disinfectant.

If there is an issue with contamination, which I cannot see at all, then all you would need to do is remove the last 2 or 3 lashes on the strip, as these would be the only lashes that your tweezers may have touched when picking off a lash.

Microbes and mites can very easily make their way across the entire strip. Picking off the last 2-3 lashes isn't going to cut it.

That's like cutting the mold off of a piece of bread before serving it to someone in a restaurant.

Just because you can't see demodex and microbes doesn't mean they are not there. And because you can't see them, you really shouldn't assume their location.

Our clients are trusting us to use the very highest quality sanitization available, and so are our insurance companies. I have to say I would agree with Bear. The bottom line is if you pass something from one client to the next, it is your reputation on the line as a professional. This is what separates us from the drive thru beauty salons with the bad reputations. I personally would not take the chance.

Last edited:
But this would be the same for express lash treatments which I have been trained on by lash perfect and glam lash which you can get insured for no problem and theres never been any mention of any hygiene issues but I do agree with the above points raised. Xx

Whether you use strip or loose lashes, if hygiene steps aren't followed there wil be cross contamination.

I use strip lashes.

I use a variety of different lengths and thicknesses for each client.

I simply snip off as much as I think I will need and stick onto my table using double sided tape. I can guess pretty accurately how much I will need of each size so there is very little wastage.

Anything left at the end is binned (a few lashes are only pennies after all)

I also sanitize my table and tweezers between clients as this is the most basic hygiene requirement.

Easy, straightforward and hygienic.

I use strip lashes too. I don't put them on the back of my hand though, I do the same as Elaine but put them on double sided sticky tape on a jade stone.
I've seen people using loose lashes and place them on a sponge or a mat and they don't use a new sponge or mat per client so that's even worse to me.
Anyway, I find it easier to use strips but what I will say is that loose lashes seem to have more of a curl than the same curl on a strip although this does vary from brand to brand anyway.

As I was driving from work to work (lol) today, something crossed my mind...

If cross contamination is such a big issue, shouldnt we be using 2 sets of different tweezers (one for left eye and one for right) and two separate strips (or one cut in half/quarter/etc) then? That would definitely stop any possible infections being spread! (Just a thought... I'm yet to see anyone do that!) :)

As I was driving from work to work (lol) today, something crossed my mind...

If cross contamination is such a big issue, shouldnt we be using 2 sets of different tweezers (one for left eye and one for right) and two separate strips (or one cut in half/quarter/etc) then? That would definitely stop any possible infections being spread! (Just a thought... I'm yet to see anyone do that!) :)

I think the big issue lies with cross contamination between two clients, and that IS a big deal. As I lash one eye at a time, I sterilize my tweezers in 70% alcohol between eyes anyway. My lashes are also counted out on the equivalent of two sided tape, so they are allotted for each side in different areas.

But this would be the same for express lash treatments which I have been trained on by lash perfect and glam lash which you can get insured for no problem and theres never been any mention of any hygiene issues but I do agree with the above points raised. Xx

Think of it this way. These lash companies that have their own protocol and supplies aren't always 100% right about everything. These are big companies that buy their supplies from a manufacturer and slap their name on it. They are run by people who had a good idea and made money off of it. They are human, and I'm sure the previously mentioned ways of cross contamination didn't even cross their minds. Some people, legitimately, just don't think about it.

That's why it's the lash stylists job to take the knowledge they learned from the parent company and apply their own knowledge of do's and don't's. If you use loose lashes, and sanitation is important to you (which it should be in any industry), you need to use one sponge or mat per person. I use silicon pads because their reusable and easy to disinfect. If you use strip lashes, you need to precut everything for each client. You just have to think to yourself, "is this technically sanitary?" and "would I allow this to be done to myself?"

Here, in Atlanta, State Board doesn't require that lash stylists change bedding between clients. But you have to think, what if someone has a staph infection, or poison ivy, or something out of the ordinary? So, I have clean sheets for each client. No one told me to change the bedding, I just know I wouldn't want to lay in some one else's dirty sheets and risk catching something from a place where I spend money and go to relax.

I think the big issue lies with cross contamination between two clients, and that IS a big deal. As I lash one eye at a time, I sterilize my tweezers in 70% alcohol between eyes anyway. My lashes are also counted out on the equivalent of two sided tape, so they are allotted for each side in different areas.

Agreed. You're not going to harm anyone by picking up a lash mite and transferring it from the left to the right eye. It's their own parasite, it doesn't matter what follicle it's in.

If someone has conjunctivitis you could transfer it from the left to the right. But you wouldn't, because conjunctivitis is a contraindication. So, you wouldn't work on them anyway.

Latest posts

Back