Trouble with crushed shells

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

femmefan

Reaction score
First time I've used crushed shells and found it a little tricky. Using l&p by the way and applying during re-balance of natural nail overlays.

Tried pre-mixing with clear powder but that didn't seem to work very well so in the end I placed a thin layer on first then had to add the shells before it set, finishing with another thin layer of clear. It made some of the nails a little too bulky at the tips, throwing off the curve of the apex as I was applying over a natural nail plus a small residual layer of acrylic.

Couldn't get the shells even around the smile line and missed a couple of 'ears' but struggled a bit as I was panicking to get them all on before the acrylic set.

Any advice for easier application?

Hi hun,
I had a nightmare first using crushed shell, eventually I thought on to crush them even further, this worked much better,
I crushed them up then mixed them with the powder, much smoother and thinner application. x

Hi hun,
I had a nightmare first using crushed shell, eventually I thought on to crush them even further, this worked much better,
I crushed them up then mixed them with the powder, much smoother and thinner application. x

thats a good idea emms. they do look small in the pot but when you get them onto the nail theyre chunkier than you thought.

i prefer to use them with gel. i put on a thin layer of gel then place the shells on that with a brush dampened in some gel to pick the bits up. ive also had success by painting on some gel and then dipping the nail into the shells , tidying them up a bit with a brush or dotter before curing and then carrying on with the nail.

I think you did a great job and the colour is lovely :hug:
I have never ever done a whole free edge with crushed shells but when i use them with l&p i take a clear pearl of powder, tip it in crushed shells pot and then apply to the nail.
When i use something "big and eneven" for the freeedge then i like to touch up the smile line with some acrylic paint in the end. Small dots or thin stripes from the sides to compliment the smile line. I know it does not help you with the application but gives a nice touch for the overall look:)
Must try Emms idea, sound great, thanks hun!

Last edited:
Hi,

When I do a set with L+P I usually dip a wet bead of acrylic into the shell pot and place straight onto the nail, and whilst its still setting, fill in the gaps by picking up shell bits with a wet brush.

hth x x

see when I first used crushed shell I was using a quite fast setting product, so to pick a bead up, dip it in the shells, then get it on the nail, and press out, I would end up with some shells sticking up sideways ...very annoying lol,
I then tried to cover this up (dont know why because I could have just filed it off)
And ended up with bulky nails.

But another tip if you are going to crush the shells further (which is also good as it creates some 'shell dust' which is good for the smile lines'
Put the shells in a bag then crush them...
Unlike ME, I thought I would put the end of a spoon into the little pot and crush them that way .....yep ! wen't EVERYWHERE :mad: lol and yup I did try to salvage all the bits from EVERYwhere :D

Latest posts

Back