Trouble with employee

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennymarie86

Reaction score
Hi,

This is the first time I have posted on here and looking for some advice. I own a small beauty salon and its attached to my house. I had a baby a year ago and instead of closing the salon I decided to have someone working for me so I would not lose clients. I employed a therapist who had just qualified at level 2 and was going to finish her level 3, which worked well as we could both work around each other. Recently though she has been acting like she can't be bothered, if she has a cold she acts like it's blatently obvious she doesn't want to be at work, and I have agreed to give her family 15% off but have found out she has been giving way more off. She also did a facial the other day on my mum and as I don't charge my mum it was like she couldn't be bothered and only did half her treatment. I am so angry as I have spent so much time with her and really try to look after her and think maybe I am better doing it myself. She started off really passionate and now I feel like I give give give and she is take take take. Please help!

What advice do you want. I think you know the answer. As long as you have paid her the correct wage and in the correct manner with payslips and issued a contract for her employment with you will be fine. If you haven't it may be that little bit harder.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Agreed the problem with trusting someone with your business is that they need to be trustworthy and passionate. Have you spoken to her asked why she is doing this. If you dont mind me asking what are you paying her. Do you feel it's enough to cover what she is doing there? Maybe that's a reason shes lost interest?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

The only reason I mention the pay is because for 6 years I was running the salon and on a self employed basis and got no bonuses etc but I was doing a hell of alot there.

Have you given her an appraisal? Any problems I have with staff are bought up at appraisal meetings.
Go through all the things you have a problem with and tell her that now she is aware of the problem, then you will be reviewing the situation in a few weeks time. Also go through her good points as well :biggrin:

Thank you. Yes an appraisal is a good idea. At the moment I pay her £5.03 p/h she has just turned 18 and I have said that her pay will increase when she is qualified at level 3. It's almost like she has got above her station and is good at what she likes and when she wants to be. I think I will go down the appraisal route. I pay her correctly and have accountants that sort out her payslips, I send her on courses. I suppose I'm just disappointed and do not want to to let my clients down

Well sounds like you are a very fair boss. Set up a meeting ask what she wants if she has ideas etc if it falls on deaf ears look for someone else

Might be worth sending in a secret shopper as well for some treatments. Nothing worse than a half arsed facial

Thank you. Yes an appraisal is a good idea. At the moment I pay her £5.03 p/h she has just turned 18 and I have said that her pay will increase when she is qualified at level 3. It's almost like she has got above her station and is good at what she likes and when she wants to be. I think I will go down the appraisal route. I pay her correctly and have accountants that sort out her payslips, I send her on courses. I suppose I'm just disappointed and do not want to to let my clients down

I thought you counted as qualified if you had done level 2 and so got full minimum wage?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think she means level 3 qualification will increase her wage as she is able to do more treatments x

£5.03 is minimum wage for 18 year old.

I think she means level 3 qualification will increase her wage as she is able to do more treatments x

Aaahhh. X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back