Trouble with wax removal - help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotton-bud

Reaction score
Today I had a new client for a half leg & bikini line wax - the bikini wax went absolutely fine however during the half leg, the wax went on fine but as I tried to take it off with the wax strips, the wax wouldn't budge and kept leaving large patches of wax on the clients skin. This isn't a new wax pot or a different brand to my usual, I am just wondering if there is some skin types wax doesn't agree with?
I used a pre wax gel first so there shouldn't have been any thing residual on the skin to prevent the wax from working.
Has anyone else experienced this and is there anything I can do about it?

It sounds as though you client may have had dry skin, this can cause the wax to stick to the skin rather than the wax when trying to remove it. You can rub the tiniest bit of oil onto the skin and then blot with a tissue and this will stop the wax from sticking to the skin but will not effect the hair removal.

Also if it is a new wax perhaps it needs to be set a little higher, if the wax is being applied too thick this can also happen :)

Thank you! Would any body oil do ie. Grapeseed or sweet almond etc? Would the oil replace the pre wax or would I still use it?

Today I had a new client for a half leg & bikini line wax - the bikini wax went absolutely fine however during the half leg, the wax went on fine but as I tried to take it off with the wax strips, the wax wouldn't budge and kept leaving large patches of wax on the clients skin. This isn't a new wax pot or a different brand to my usual, I am just wondering if there is some skin types wax doesn't agree with?
I used a pre wax gel first so there shouldn't have been any thing residual on the skin to prevent the wax from working.
Has anyone else experienced this and is there anything I can do about it?

Maybe it is something to do with the temperature of your client's leg, especially in this weather. Often i've found this sticking problem around the kneecap which is dryer skin and colder termperature. I found if I reapply the strip and warm with my hand over it for a minute - it should loosen and come off. Maybe work in smaller sections, don't allow the wax to cool for too long before strip off. If it still won't come off you can remove with oil.

How did you finish the service? :)

Maybe it is something to do with the temperature of your client's leg, especially in this weather. Often i've found this sticking problem around the kneecap which is dryer skin and colder termperature. I found if I reapply the strip and warm with my hand over it for a minute - it should loosen and come off. Maybe work in smaller sections, don't allow the wax to cool for too long before strip off. If it still won't come off you can remove with oil.

How did you finish the service? :)

I thought it could be to do with temperature! She did mention she was cold.
I ended up working in very small sections after explaining what was going on.. Took me so much longer than usual, even in small sections and with trying to work quickly it was still sticking.

I've always found this to be the temperature of the area as well.

Just reapply the strip and warm with your hand and if you're really really struggling to get it off then pulling in a slightly different direction can help lift it xx

Below is the best oil I've ever used. There's also litre bottle but you only use tiny amount for each leg so bottle will last for ages if you want to try before buying big bottle. For me wax sticking has always been due to dry skin but I'm mobile so people are warmer in their own homes rather than being outside and coming into a salon.

Jasmine Epilation Oil 1 Litre | BeautyExpress | UK

I had the same problem recently and got through it. Now I’m wondering if it was more uncomfortable on the client as I couldn't get a clean sweep. What should you say to the client if this happens? Ask them if they are cold or say that moisturising a couple of days before the treatment would be advised? I don’t really want to tell the client her legs are super dry or highlight that my room could be warmer but then don’t want to say nothing and the client finds it more painful and thinks I did something wrong.

Any advice?

I had the same problem recently and got through it. Now I’m wondering if it was more uncomfortable on the client as I couldn't get a clean sweep. What should you say to the client if this happens? Ask them if they are cold or say that moisturising a couple of days before the treatment would be advised? I don’t really want to tell the client her legs are super dry or highlight that my room could be warmer but then don’t want to say nothing and the client finds it more painful and thinks I did something wrong.

Any advice?

Personally I don't make a big deal out of it. I just go 'Ooo your legs are a bit cold arent they' or 'your legs seem a bit dry, do you moisturise often?' - they either brush off the comment or ask why the wax is doing that and I explain it in more detail.

If you trust your own knowledge then they will trust you and your skills.

Thank you! Would any body oil do ie. Grapeseed or sweet almond etc? Would the oil replace the pre wax or would I still use it?

I use straight forward baby oil it's fab, never had a problem , I also use it to clean my wax pot too, it's a great all-rounder!!! X

Latest posts

Back