Under 13's Beauty Salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mum

Reaction score
As a service industry that is image focussed what does everyone feel about this?

It's been opened in Essex and offers mani, pedi, tanning, facials, make up and hair. One of the first 'clients' was 16 months old.

It follows hard on a Government initiative to 'protect childrens innocence' and to protect sexualising children by preventing certain ads from being posted near schools and the sales of 'sexy' underware.

It is in Brentwood which is apparently synonymous with fashion and glamour due to TOWIE.

There have been many threads on here about services for the under 16's and a very divided opinion. This takes it a bit further so, as an industry are we responsible and what are general views?

just thought I would add my views, i saw this on the news today, and I am a mum of two, and to be honest i think its a really good idea, little girls love to play dress up and play with make up to look like a lil princess, from what i saw the 16month old was getting a hair cut, so nothing wrong their, I dnt see the problem with a little bit of glitter make up, as long as its not a full on face of make up and eyelash extensions lol. I know that this is going to be a very controversial subject. I think that the salon owner saw a gap in the market and went for it, so good on her. I know yr not all gonna agree. oh and just to add, on the interview i saw the owner made it very clear that she doesnt offer spray tans.

From a mother's point of view (have a son actually) I think this is a real shame and certainly don't think it should have been opened in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I loved watching my older sister apply her makeup and even sneakily wore some to school when I was about 12 years old but that's me doing it I would never have even thought about visiting a salon. i think its lovely for children to experiment and mimic their mums and sisters but thats where i think the line should be drawn.

i think we are in a very image obssessed culture right now and i think its a real shame children cant remain children or rather children want to appear so much older and actually looking so much older. i find it concerning with so much of the child grooming going on and thinks this just adds to the worry.

i do think professionals do have responsibility in this but I also think that the parents do as well.

I'm sure there is much more I could say about the situation but I feel it may turn into a bit of a rant from me so I'll quit while Im ahead lol!

Great thread Mum and Im really interested to hear the replies.

I think people take this way too far thinking it's something more than what it is.
It's fun and cute GIRLS WILL BE GIRLS. x

Obviously I'd be anti giving a toddler a spray tan but what's a bit of nail varnish and glitter!? x

I think people take this way too far thinking it's something more than what it is.
It's fun and cute GIRLS WILL BE GIRLS. x

Obviously I'd be anti giving a toddler a spray tan but what's a bit of nail varnish and glitter!? x

Totally agree. my lil girl would love to go to a salon and have a lil manicure with some pink varnish. and a lil bit of glitter.

oh dear im in the minority here ha ha! :lol:

i dont think there is anything wrong with a bit of polish and glitter at say a princess party or with mum im just more opposed to a salon for this. i also think its a shame that going to a salon at that age they don't have it to look forward to when theyre older.

i do remember before biology however much me and my friend tried to hide our painted nails our teacher always had us at the back of the class shamefully removing our polish! :lol:

Last edited:
I think girls up to the age of at least 13 should be playing with make up and doing their hair nails and feet at home with their friends.

Is it any different to the pamper parties I see geeks discussing on this site?

Actually yes I think it is different. The pamper party is pretty much girls together with a professional, in the child's home doing what I suggested they should be doing in my first paragraph.

So not sure that I think it is right, but I do agree with the lady who said the business owner had seen a potential gap in the market and is trying to make money from it.

And that is what we are all trying to do.

Jacqui xx

I can 100% see both sides!
I'm going to try an example but it might sound better in my head... Lol (like most things I come out with!)

A little boy will go to football with his dad. (Nothing wrong here?)
People COULD say "well it's exposing him to violence and gambling and whatever else"

So little girls need some mummy time! :)
I wouldn't be like, right now you've got nail and hair extensions let's get a mini skirt and 5 inch heels!

It's like when Katie price brought out her "edible make up range" for kids, I think that's great!
1. It's yummy :)
2. Stops her using mummies expensive make up!

x

I can 100% see both sides!
I'm going to try an example but it might sound better in my head... Lol (like most things I come out with!)

A little boy will go to football with his dad. (Nothing wrong here?)
People COULD say "well it's exposing him to violence and gambling and whatever else"

So little girls need some mummy time! :)
I wouldn't be like, right now you've got nail and hair extensions let's get a mini skirt and 5 inch heels!

It's like when Katie price brought out her "edible make up range" for kids, I think that's great!
1. It's yummy :)
2. Stops her using mummies expensive make up!

x

lmao hun at the mummy time bit...can you imagine :eek:

football i guess you have the family enclosure at some grounds and primarily football is about the game and not the gambling or violence. there are also more family friendly club but i digress.

awww love the edible makeup range and shows mums playing with their kiddies as opposed to a salon.... shame its endorsed by katie price lmao!

xxxx

I think a little bit of nail polish and glitter like someone said is fine. I would love a little girl and would be quite happy to let her have this done and I would love taking her to a little salon to have it done, like dads love taking their boys to football or something else blokey!

I think there should be limits spray tanning kids and applying tons of make up on them to make them look older is not on.

A bit of sparkle and pink polish I think is fine and yes it does make them more image concious but it also teaches them how to take pride in themselves.

When I was younger my mum was forever getting my hair done and from the age of about 11 she encouraged me to wear a bit of lip gloss and blusher and it has done me no harm, I didnt run out at 18 and get a boob job and hair extensions, if anything it taught me to look after myself in a sensible way. Despite all this I was still a normal kid playing on my bike and playing with dolls.

I dont think there is anything wrong with a kiddie focused salon but I do think there should be some very strict rules and regulations that they need to stick to and enhanced CRBS to be held by all the staff.

I think it's a lovely idea, the majority of girls love having their hair plaited or curled, glitter tattoos and nails painted. It's a great bonding experience for girls.

I'm sick of hearing about the sexualisation of children...nothing has changed except it's been given a label! Maybe the media should read about the idea of a self fulfilling prophecy.

I watched a programme recently which raised issues of matalan and primark selling padded bras. Matalan commented that it's not padding...it's a modesty layer. Something which I would have been grateful for with the awkward stage if development when you're not a girl anymore but not quite developed.

There's a lot of hype about these things instead of a lot of thought!

Rant over!!

lmao hun at the mummy time bit...can you imagine :eek:

football i guess you have the family enclosure at some grounds and primarily football is about the game and not the gambling or violence. there are also more family friendly club but i digress.

awww love the edible makeup range and shows mums playing with their kiddies as opposed to a salon.... shame its endorsed by katie price lmao!

xxxx

Couldn't agree more with the Katie price comment haha xx

sexualisation of children being discussed on question time now should be interesting as raised in this thread

My first thought..who are these nutters that want to work solely with squirmy, chatterbox, cant sit still children all day :eek:

From a business perspective I see this as a bit limiting. The whole business only for ages 0-13 probably female. Once theyve all had a birthday party there and such will they come back year after year, or will they be bored of the idea by then?

I know some mothers would enjoy the novelty of taking their child there, but I honestly think it would be a novelty. After all, why do people enjoy salon treatments, because its for them. After a while the idea of taking the child all the way to that place where only the child gets the treatment will bore those mums after a while as for the same effort they could go somewhere else and get done together or if it came to a choice, im sure the mums would rather they get their spray tan done than the child.

I could imagine a salon that made an extension and created a girls only area as its not the only source of income, but I think they are brave only targeting that one audience.

I would also assume that their insurance is a bit pricey too :eek:

I dont have a moral opinion on it, I couldnt be arsed with it if I were a parent but if some people want to then fair enough. It takes me enough time and effort to keep looking half decent without doing it for my hypothetical kids also.

I have 2 kids, a girl of 11 and a boy of 8. I wouldn't want my daughter to go somewhere like this as i feel that while they are kids they should just be being kids and not worrying about how they look. You have so many years of your life being an adult that i think kids should stay kids as long as they can. This is just my opinion though and i know lots of people won't agree with me.

My first thought..who are these nutters that want to work solely with squirmy, chatterbox, cant sit still children all day :eek:

Haha I agree, why would you WANT to :lol:

Seriously, I live in brentwood and it is full of lots of 'kept children' (i.e dont want for a thing, its a fairly well-off area) but I honestly dont see it doing well from a business point of view either.
Many of the mums I know around here use Cloth nappies, feed organic food, have children in lists of extra curricular activites and would want to put something on their childs skin by allowing fake tans and make ups.
Its the 15's and upwards that are more into fake tans, make up and money to spend in my opinion.
I agree it would likely just be a novelty.

Personally, I wouldnt do it or allow it to be done to my children (they are boys but still, even if they were girls!).
I dont want them to care what colour their skin is, whether they want to play in the mud for spoiling their manicure.

I agree its normal to want to copy mums with a bit of polish or lip gloss and I'm all for that, but facials/ spraytans/ grown-up make up- no way, its unnecessary.

I feel it sends the wrong message to little girls, however I am a feminist.

I don't beleive in banning things, if mothers want to take their girls there then that is up to them.
It's not a business niche I will be exploring anytime soon.

P.s even though I have said all the above, I personally don't think I'd take my daughter there x (if I had one that is!) x

I don't see anything sinister in this idea ... It's a personal choice that everyone is entitled to.

Personally I see it as great training for the consumers of tomorrow and with training like that these little ones today will grow into the salon clients of the future. We should all stay busy. :lol:

Not for me I'm afraid. I think we live in an image conscious society as it is. Things have changed so much since I was a kid, it's hard enough for grown women not to get absorbed into celebrity culture let alone children. What are they realistically teaching their kids, that beauty is skin deep. Let kids be kids I say. Do we really need to be cashing in on parents insecurities?? We are almost made to feel guilty for not pampering our daughters. I just think in this age of media, kids are bombarded with images left, right and centre. I don't think this salon is a good idea at all. Too much too soon in my opinion!

Latest posts

Back